The Fantasy Recommendation Thread

MedievalMan

I haven't read them myself, but my Dad is really into Jack Whyte's Camulod Chronicles. It's a retelling of the Arthur myth, but from a more historical perspective - it's not epic or high fantasy, but more like historical fiction, but it would definitely fit under the speculative fiction banner.

I'm just finishing up the second book, The Singing Sword, and this is what I like to call "kick-start literature." After not reading much as I'd like, Jack Whyte's writing is simple enough and plot-driven enough to zip right through. Not a lot of thinking to do and if you like your fiction where the protagonist can do no wrong and is an expert at everything, then you'll like Publius Varrus.

After two books, though, I'm ready to try something more challenging. It's nice to have the reading bug again.

Book i've read recently, (actually, not so recently due to uni and shit like that) that merit me telling you all to read them due to their sheer brilliance, are, in no particular order..

City of Saints and Madmen by Vandermeer

- Ambergris is a genius creation, and Vandermeer is an utterly evil writer, and he writes some hilarious footnotes, snide comments exetara! Yeh, so read it, you'll get really pissed off. (In a good way.)

The Etched City by K.J.Bishop

- Similair to Harrison, in the dreamy whispy was he does so best. It draws comparison with the above and Mieville. So its werid and quirky, with a very evocative city, again like Ambergris, but new and shiny enough to draw away from any negative comparisons.

And i've not really read anything brilliant aprat from the above, which is sad I know.

• 2 weeks later...

An old friend of mine recommended Julian May. She currently is writing a series called The Boreal Moon Tale. I just bought the first in this series, titled Conqueror's Moon.

Book two is called Ironcrown Moon.

Book three is called Sorceror's Moon.

Can somebody explain how good this series is? I'll start reading this book sometime before this year 2006 ends. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Umm... didn't I look properly or did no one mention Robin Hobb? While I didn't like the Farseer trilogy that much ("Apprentice" was pretty good, "Royal" not bad and "Quest" had a very disappointing ending) I thought the Liveship trilogy was very, very good. Realistic flawed-but-likeable characters (even interesting villains), an interesting setting and a very good storyline where everything comes together very nicely. Of course, it's not as sprawling as ASOIAF, but it is a finished series and my third-favourite fantasy series after ASOIAF and LOTR. Hobb did a great job on that trilogy.

• 2 weeks later...
Umm... didn't I look properly or did no one mention Robin Hobb? While I didn't like the Farseer trilogy that much ("Apprentice" was pretty good, "Royal" not bad and "Quest" had a very disappointing ending) I thought the Liveship trilogy was very, very good. Realistic flawed-but-likeable characters (even interesting villains), an interesting setting and a very good storyline where everything comes together very nicely. Of course, it's not as sprawling as ASOIAF, but it is a finished series and my third-favourite fantasy series after ASOIAF and LOTR. Hobb did a great job on that trilogy.

I agree. The Liveship Traders was the best trilogy out of the three, but the other two were really good. And read it in order, Farseer first, Liveship second, Tawny Man third.

I agree. The Liveship Traders was the best trilogy out of the three, but the other two were really good. And read it in order, Farseer first, Liveship second, Tawny Man third.

I didn't read Tawny Man yet, but I read the first two. One of the best fantasy I have ever read. Although I liked Farseer more than Liveship.

I finished reading Hobb's Liveship trilogy last month, and I'm on the second of the Farseer books. I am really enjoying all of them, and really loved the Liveship books..

I wish I had known, though, that they were all set in the same world. I would have read them in order if I had known. Why can't publishers make it clear that books are in a series?

Very irritating!

Why can't publishers make it clear that books are in a series?

Very irritating!

Yup. It is.

I have made a mistake once. I read The Shadow Rising. While reading I wondered all that time whether something is missing or what...it was long time ago, not much experience with the Internet. So, since then I am making a thorough research before I read anything.

This is a rather hapless recommendation, in that I don't remember the name of the book or its author, but there was a book I read when I was around eight or nine that I guess you would call fantasy. The plot involved a small boy receiving a singing telegram (via a talking bear) informing him that his mother (an adventuress) had been captured by a malevolent queen who ruled from a vast icecream castle atop some gnarly mountains. He ventured forth to rescue her, and eventually, thrillingly did - what I do remember quite happily, if not clearly, is a climactic scene involving a choice of icecream - from a selection artfully poisoned by the trickster queen. Excellent book. I'm resigned to never knowing what it is, though.

If anybody has so far missed Trouble for Trumpets, they NEED to check it out. No other picture-book comes remotely close - it is the rival-annihilating masterpiece of the form.

Just reread the Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. There certainly was a lot I didn't appreciate ten years ago, I think the book is even better now. structurally its a bit annoying with some deus ex machina but definitely a great and pageturning read.

• 2 weeks later...
Just reread the Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. There certainly was a lot I didn't appreciate ten years ago, I think the book is even better now. structurally its a bit annoying with some deus ex machina but definitely a great and pageturning read.

I read those some 3 or 4 years ago when I was 11 or 12, and I don't remember much about it. I do remember though that they were really good, and I recommend them if you want something lighter to read than ASOIAF.

I also read the Tales of Einarinn by Juliet E. McKenna last summer. It's a finished 5 book series that I liked a lot. It has a great female protaganist. I recommend it, again, for lighter reading than ASOIAF.

The Bridge of D'Arnath completed 4 book series was also enjoyable.

These books involve a lot less political intrigue and are much less gritty, so if you want to get away from that sort of thing, I recommend these. They don't follow some farm boy turned hero either, so they're not too cliche.

• 2 weeks later...

Cloudmages series by S.L. Farrell (Steven Leigh)

Holder of Lightening

Mage of Clouds

Heir of Stone

Really good.. not as serious as ASOIAF. Practically no political intrigue (practically) and tons of magic, shooting lightening type stuff. Its based heavily on Celtic myths and cultures and is kinda like Great Britain vs. Ireland (long time ago). Its really good.. and just to be fore-warned, Farrell doesn't hesitate to kill off characters. Don't say I didn't warn you!

BTW Cleomedes.. sounds just like a book I would love.. ice cream castle... singing bears... oh man

• 3 weeks later...

I see that some of you are recommending other books by George R R Martin... I didn't want to make a new topic for this question as there probably is one already (I just couldn't find it), but how is the non-ASoIaF books he's written? I saw Windhaven in my local book shop today and I'm wondering if it's worth buying.

As for the recommendation thing... Read the Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. I think it's a little bit overrated, but it's still a good book. Although it reminds me a great deal of a fantasy version of Oliver Twist.

I see that some of you are recommending other books by George R R Martin... I didn't want to make a new topic for this question as there probably is one already (I just couldn't find it), but how is the non-ASoIaF books he's written? I saw Windhaven in my local book shop today and I'm wondering if it's worth buying.

Fevre Dream is the equal of ASoIaF in quality. Disgracefully, I haven't read his other novels (excuse: neither Armageddon Rag nor Tuf Voyaging is available in a UK edition at the moment), but I've read a few of the short stories in Dreamsongs and they are awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim Hines' "Goblin Quest" is a funny look on traditional fantasy dungeon crawls - from the goblin's POV.

A Lee Martinez's "In the company of ogres" - quite amusing. The story of Never Dead Ned (who actually dies quite a lot, but keeps getting ressurected), and his attempts to manage and control an unruly merecenary company of ogres.

Moira J.Moore's Hero trilogy is quite readable (third book not out yet, and future uncertain) -

A no-nonsense practical woman gets paired for life with a bigger than life persona partner. Together they act as Source-Shield pair, deflecting natural disasters on a planet rife with them (still reads like fantasy), and trying to avoid various nefarious plots.

Stephan Donaldson's "Mordant's Need" - Now compiles the mordant duology. In my opinion, better than that whole unbeliever nonsense.

Eve Forward's "Villains by Necessity" - a group of villains trying to restore balance to world overcome with goodness. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. If you can find it...

Also check out new author, Brandon Sanderson. His works are really original.

An interesting read is Richard Adam's Shardik. It's about a man who tries to understand the mysteries of a giant bear called Shardik. Throughout the book you are left to wonder is the Bear God or are the "miracles" just circumstance. Its got pretty good characters as well as a unique world, and some good battle scenes. Its also a very thoughtful read. On the downside its not the easiest read. Whereas in Martin, I find that I become instantly addicted and can't stop, this book I had to push myself through. Its been over a year though and this book still haunts me. It's a book with some good payoff.

Archived