Will you be watching S6 even if it spoils TWOW?

TheOldPenguin

Hi there! This is my very first post on the forum ^_^

Now that Season Six will completely spoil The Winds of Winter (at least with the main story)...Will you be watching it before reading The Winds? I have been on this dilemma since GRRM's post...I don't know what to do :/ The spoilers will be EVERYWHERE...

Wellcome!

Well, you can try not to watch it, but it is impossible to stay unspoiled for months so I suggest you better watch it, at least you will enjoy it.

Cersei and KL is only spoilerish thing and Ironborn because of fact that Theon is free, but Im not sure if he will come in time for Kingsmoot or will he even go there at all. And Sansa is too much changed to be spoilered.

Dorne is off book

Jaime does DoD story

Jon unites his story with Stanis' so anything could happen there

Tyrells are doing mainly book thing and I dont think there are many spoilers thatbare very important.

Dany eventually wins over Dotrakhi, everyone guessed that.

Main things we can succesfully guess and little are changeable and thus not certain. Also Im person that doesnt mind being spoilered so my advise is not certain to you.

Be certain if someone dies you will hear about it, now that someone can be like Barry and someone like Jon so it also doesnt have to mean he will die or at least die like that. Im sure Cersei will die, but her death (s7 first half bold prediction) can happen in two very different occasions.

Wellcome again! :)

Hi and Welcome! I will watch. Although it is true that I am totally addicted to the books...I have EVERYTHING on audio book as well, the show is well made and I enjoy it, but it isn't 'canon' to me. It is a 'version' sort of like the alternate universe Star Treks in a way. Or maybe a 'Might be the case Cliffs Notes' of the real story. There are also so many characters/ storylines that are not on the show that I am really interested in and I know that the books will carry their stories to the end. Plus, who knows how long it will until WoW? Some may consider this blasphemy, but it is just how I feel. Are you going to watch?? You didn't say....

I think that in many ways the HBO show is actually better than the books. Not because of the medium but because the narrative is tighter and the shows were written with five of the six books already finished while GRRM didn't know what was happening in book 2 until he finished book 1.

Season 6 is not going to go very far beyond the books though because they missed out a huge chunk. The whole Ironborn arc is missing. That will probably take up a 20% of the season on its own. GRRM has already said he will finish off the two looming battles at the start of TWOW. So I doubt we will be more than a third of the way into book 6 at the end of the season.

And given that the series is now extended to 8 seasons, that is surely what the showrunners will want.

But besides any of that, as GRRM and the showrunners point out, the show is going to take a huge detour from the books at the point. There is no fake Aegon, Sansa's Lemon cake plot has been knifed for her original planned book plot.

The only reveal of consequence is who Jon Snow really is and the one thing that we can be certain of is that we won't find out in Book 6 or season 6 (or 7).

If I don't watch it, it will just be spoiled for me anyway so there's no real reason not to.

The show has been driven so far off the rails from the source material, the idea that it will "spoil" the books is an overexaggerated statement at best. I mean Aegon and Company will obviously be an integral part of tWoW and the show just isn't doing him.

I'm sure there will be some slight similarities in specific scenes that George is referring to, but I doubt it will be very closely adapted, even referring to big picture stuff. I thinking there will be a lot of stuff like the Daznak's Pit scene in S5. Yeah, there is a Colosseum tournament and Drogon shows up, but the entire scene was completely different from in the books. It will be hard to tell what they're taking from the book and what they're not, so I'm not too concerned.

I'm more worried about whether or not season 6 is actually good.

I haven't even watched seasons 3-5.  

Kind of sucks that the internet will be crawling with spoilers, but then if show watchers were able to avoid them for the most part, I guess I might be able to as well.  Certainly I won't be posting on this forum from April.  

Well, honestly, the series has diverged so much in the last few seasons, many plot lines having become unrecognizable (Sansa, Dorne and the Faith being the worst offenders) that I'm not sure how much they could even spoil me. And D&D have announced to really go of book for season 6, so...

I'm not going to watch it simply because I didn't enjoy the last two seasons that much. They made me want to break something. I'm confident I can avoid at least some spoilers. I don't know how it is in your countries, but in mine, while the show is very popular, it's not something people talk about all the time. 

I don't think I could stop myself from watching next season if I thought it would be good, but since I'm positive it will suck, it's not that hard of a choice

But if you still like the show, then you should totally watch it. Just... relax and enjoy it. There will be enough new things  to appreciate in the book when it comes out. Really, it's not something worth fretting over.

Hmmm, if I was not so besotted with the books then NO. The show is crap and has been ever since season 4 started. And the only reason I will watch is because I don't want my precious books being spoiled by someone posting a link to an article about the show on social media. Or someone's status update. As is it is I probably will still get spoilered in that fashion, as no one seems to have any respect for the fact the show usually airs a day ahead in the states.

Basically to avoid spoilers; I have to not use the internet on Mondays. And whilst not going online one day a week is doable. Avoiding doing so until TWOW is out is not, and even then avoiding the internet is no guarantee, Magazine covers, TV adverts ect all have the potential to spoil it. 

I'd rather watch and be spoilered but have the information in context to the show at least than not watch and have things spoiled by the general public. 

The show is so far removed from the books now that frankly other than things like R+J=L which lets face it we all now know to be true there really isn't an awful lot I think I'd trust as being genuinely what will happen in TWOW anyway. 

Archived