Will you be watching S6 even if it spoils TWOW?

TheOldPenguin

I said it before, it's unrealistic to avoid spoilers for 7-8 years till the last book is published. You're going to find spoilers sooner or later whether it's the show or a meme or some comment somewhere. I'll watch the show and enjoy it for what it is as I will do with the books when they are published.

After S5 I have begun to treat the show and the books as two different versions of the story anyways. I am more of a book man 100% but love the show also even though the Jaime dorne story line and Stannis & Shireen plots were ridiculous in my eyes. But it won't stop me watching and enjoying S6 at all. There are still characters I enjoy watching very much.

I'm not watching. Not because of spoilers, as the show cut a lot of what I wanted to see after the third season anyway. I'm not watching as I thought the fourth season was poor, Pascal aside; gave up after their handling of Aemon's death.

If I thought the show would be good I'd watch, as I think a lot of things bar maybe the end game will play out differently anyway. But I don't, so I won't.

I think i will watch it. Most things that happen won't happen like this in the books.

Actually, i don't know why i want to see it. Season 1 was great; Seasons 2 and 3 had good moments (but already a lot of crap). Season 4 had some really stupid stuff and some gread episodes. Season 5 was terrible. It had good scenes, of course. But they dumb everything down way to much, and let's just never again talk of everything revolving about Dorne. The show is strongest when it follows the books closely (and in Season 1 they transfer some Dialogues 1:1!). The "new" stuff is horrible. So there is no reason to think Season 6 will be good.

10 hours ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Welcome! :cheers:

Yes, I'll be watching, mostly because I think there's just no certainty with GRRM. Honestly, if GRRM doesn't care about the show spoiling the books, why should I? 

That just about sums it up for me as well

Of course I will watch! Frankly, I do not understand people who are afraid of getting spoiled.

If I were afraid of  spoilers, meaning angry because I already know the main Landmarks of the story then I'd never read a book twice. Actually I love to read good books for a second time since then I am more relaxed and can concentrate on the finer details and the beauty of the language. 

And, anyone who loves historical fiction has to live with spoilers. Or do you conveniently forget that Joan of Arc  got burned in the end and that Richard III died during the battle of Bosworth? Stay away from historical fiction if you remember anything you have learned at school!

1 hour ago, farerb said:

I said it before, it's unrealistic to avoid spoilers for 7-8 years till the last book is published. You're going to find spoilers sooner or later whether it's the show or a meme or some comment somewhere. I'll watch the show and enjoy it for what it is as I will do with the books when they are published.

I feel the same about seasons 7&8, but for season 6, it may be only a matter of months to avoid spoilers. Personally, if we get a release date for TWoW by the time season 6 starts, then I'll try to avoid the show and spoilers. But if there's no release date, I'm watching it.

I won't be watching it, I haven't watched the show since the third season as it's not good enough for me to waste the time on - TV is just so painfully slow for someone who can read a thousand pages in a day and it has to be exceptional to be worth the time.  The show, though decent, is not that great.  

I will be teaching all the spoilers from lessons who watch and analyze the show, though, like I have for the last couple of seasons.

No. I didn't watch season 5 either.

I've tried separating books and show, because the show has merit, but it's become too difficult for me, and I find myself angry. Maybe when all is said and done I'll sit down and watch it. But for now, I don't think I will.

Don't really care about the spoilers though.

I'll watch the show, it will be like watching a train crash because the conductor hopped off. 

Without the source material it's going to be horrendous. In a fascinating way. 

None of the twists and turns that caught social media by storm have been D&D ideas, it's all been from the books. Red wedding, Jon's stabbing, Ned's death. Contrast it with things D&D put in; Jaime raping Cersei, Sansa getting raped, Stannis' death. People either didn't care or straight up disliked those things. 

So with just the bare outline, they'll smack right into a brick wall creatively. It's gonna be great. 

No.

Sure, social media, friends and others will all spoil me. But the ASOIAF/GOT story is huge and complicated. I cannot possibly be spoiled about every single scene, action, quote, location etc. No matter how much is spoiled to me, I will definitely miss at least SOME stuff. That I will first experience when I read TWOW. And even if that is just one aspect, that will be worth not watching the show. 

Everything I have disliked about the show has been because of having read the books first and being annoyed by (often arbitrary) changes.  Sometimes to the point of being really angry (Sansa stuff this year).  However in nearly all of those cases I believe that I would not have batted an eye if I'd seen the show first. 

As a result to maximize my enjoyment of both forms, I am not planning to read any more of the books until three years from now when the show is finished.  50-50 shot for GRRM even having completed TWOW by then anyway... And zero chance ADOS will be done.

I was pretty disappointed to be honest that a lot of the storylines have yet to complete DWD/AFFC material and that they are including that stuff next season.  I couldn't give two figs about seeing Jaime in the riverlands or the Greyjoy uncles on screen.  Was hoping it was cut.  Spoil me D and D - it's the only way I'll be able to finally watch the show with a completely open mind, instead of constantly second guessing every stupid detail even when I would rather not.

I think people who say that the books and show are two different things now are taking it a bit too far. Sure, they are quite different now, but you can still make pretty good assumptions based on the show. For example, Aegon won't be sitting on the Iron throne, and neither will Stannis. Mance Rayder is probably dead or is going to be dead soon. There will be spoilers in the show and it will probably be over before GRRM has finished the books. A bit sad, but I can't wait a minute more than I have to to know the end.

I am watching because I have watched all of the show until now and I am invested in it and its version of the story and characters. I don't think they have done a particularly good job with the last season, and my expectation for this one are low but I will watch.  There is probably enough entertainment value in it I am also curious about what happens next and the fates of the characters. Most importantly, I expect people to post spoilers all over the place, and I am not talking about show watchers being the problem, but also about people who are both book readers and show watchers.

I 'm really getting sick and tired of the spoiler fetish a huge chunk of humanity seems to have. Why by all the gods, real and imagined, above, below and sideways, would knowing plot points in advance lessen my enjoyment of a story in any way?

And since I still enjoy the show, despite its various shortcomings (it's not like the books are perfect) and we still don't have any word on WoW I see no point of depriving myself of the show, only because the books have (predictably) fallen behind.

I won't discuss any events from season 6 in the book forums of course, but I will watch it.

22 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

I 'm really getting sick and tired of the spoiler fetish a huge chunk of humanity seems to have. Why by all the gods, real and imagined, above, below and sideways, would knowing plot points in advance lessen my enjoyment of a story in any way?

And since I still enjoy the show, despite its various shortcomings (it's not like the books are perfect) and we still don't have any word on WoW I see no point of depriving myself of the show, only because the books have (predictably) fallen behind.

I won't discuss any events from season 6 in the book forums of course, but I will watch it.

Suspense is a pretty normal element to be appreciated in a narrative.  By no means is it the only element - people can watch 100 different versions of Shakespeare, after all - but it can add to a work.

Just because you apparently don't care in the slightest doesn't mean people are doing something wrong if they do.  It's definitely something Martin is trying to provide so you're the one missing out on an element of the work if it doesn't impact you at all.  

Archived