Will you be watching S6 even if it spoils TWOW?

TheOldPenguin

Well, it's become turgid dross for me, but since I don't have the energy to even attempt to avoid spoilers I'll watch it so I can get them on my own terms and not be surprised. I'd probably have to leave the forums, for one thing, since people on here were about as subtle as a gynaecologist wearing a gas mask about (Season 5 spoiler)

Shireen's burning.

Honestly the show has become so different from the books at this point that it shouldn't matter to watch the show but, at the same time, they are going to spoil us with some major information - Jon Snow's fate, what happens to Daenerys after she gets caught by the Dothraki come to mind - and I seriously doubt that that's gonna be different from the books, and once Jon Snow's fate gets revealed, we would have to go George Lucas and stop going on the internet until the release of WoW not to get spoiled, because I'm pretty sure it'll be everywhere. We've already had way too much information about Kit Harrington's hair, Kit Harrington this and that to really be surprised for the next season, but that will be settled shortly, which is kind of disappointing because I feel like there is a lot more suspense in discovering the events through the books, and then seeing how they adapted it in the shows, than going the other way around :/

Absolutely! The show is one of the greatest of all time, and the books aren't coming any time soon. 

I know a lot of people have problems with it, but I don't. Yeah, Dorne was poorly executed, but that's the only major gripe I have. Every single complaint the show haters have boils down to one single sentence "it was different in the books." 

So yeah, I wanna know what happens to Jon, Cersei, etc. And I want to watch one of the greatest show ever. 

Certainly and looking forward to it. It's not the ideal way but it's somewhat heart-warming to know that I'll get a closure to the series in a not so distant future and would be able to move onto something else. I truly don't feel like waiting another 10+ years to find out what will happen next. I have made my peace with the fact that the book series will remain unfinished and from the recent looks of it even the publication of the TWoW might never happen. 

27 minutes ago, dsug said:

Absolutely! The show is one of the greatest of all time, and the books aren't coming any time soon. 

I know a lot of people have problems with it, but I don't. Yeah, Dorne was poorly executed, but that's the only major gripe I have. Every single complaint the show haters have boils down to one single sentence "it was different in the books." 

So yeah, I wanna know what happens to Jon, Cersei, etc. And I want to watch one of the greatest show ever. 

That sentence is so full of horseshit that I don't know where to begin with it.

7 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

That sentence is so full of horseshit that I don't know where to begin with it.

Well if you're gonna call my opinion horseshit you better be able to back it up. 

Just now, dsug said:

Well if you're gonna call my opinion horseshit you better be able to back it up. 

Well, I resent the idea that every single person who has read the books and watched the show and doesn't like the show simply dislikes it because 'it's different from the books.' Plenty of people dislike it for reasons completely unrelated to the source material.

My complaints mostly revolve around the writing. Like Sansa, Littlefinger and Roose all taking stupid pills so that that particular piece of story could occur. Or Stannis burning his only heir, effectively ending his own dynasty, to melt some snow. Ramsey and his 20 good men crippling an entire army without a single one gettig caught or captured. Dorne. Loras' Dornish tattoo. Varys' motives (assuming they really are what he says).

Enough examples for you? I once loved the show; season 4 tested that, and season 5 turned that into a strong dislike.

21 minutes ago, WSmith84 said:

Well, I resent the idea that every single person who has read the books and watched the show and doesn't like the show simply dislikes it because 'it's different from the books.' Plenty of people dislike it for reasons completely unrelated to the source material.

My complaints mostly revolve around the writing. Like Sansa, Littlefinger and Roose all taking stupid pills so that that particular piece of story could occur. Or Stannis burning his only heir, effectively ending his own dynasty, to melt some snow. Ramsey and his 20 good men crippling an entire army without a single one gettig caught or captured. Dorne. Loras' Dornish tattoo. Varys' motives (assuming they really are what he says).

Enough examples for you? I once loved the show; season 4 tested that, and season 5 turned that into a strong dislike.

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree but I don't see any glaring mistakes in writing there? 

-Sansa, Roose, Littlefinger all being really dumb: not sure what you mean. LF is using Sansa as a tool to becoming Warden of the North, offering Sansa a chance at revenge as a reward for being a part of his plans. Sansa plays the game reasonably well, doing what's expected of her while quietly rebelling until she can make a break for it. Roose marries Ramsay to Sansa to give his reign more legitimacy in the North. The people respect the Starks. Having one in his family will cement his reign, get the support of the people, and contribute to his own dynasty. 

-Stannis burning Shireen: it was a major blizzard, the winds of winter, destroying supplies, blocking their paths, and killing his men. Stannis was very clearly losing his grip on reality, and with Melisandre and Selyse whispering in his ear, his psyche was clearly on the edge.  In a moment of desperation and short-sightedness, complete with the promise of a Priestess who's made miracles happen before, Stannis sacrifices his daughter. They don't discuss the fact that she was his heir because Stannis didn't care. He was mad with power/the want of power and acted selfishly. 

-20 good men: not a huge deal. In the middle of a blizzard with a million freezing sell swords just sitting around at a camp,some guys came in, sabotaged some stuff, and snuck out in the night. I honestly see no problem with this. I mean, there were only 300 Spartans and they were a huge threat to the millions of Persians. Quality over quantity. 

- Dorne: I will eagerly agree with you that Dorne wasn't great. They took a shit plot from the books and tried to make it better, and didn't exactly nail it. Oh well. At less show Dorne had an actually drove the plot by killing Myrcella. 

-Loras's birthmark: I agree that this is a terrible piece of evidence, but that's the point. The High Sparrow is on a witch hunt. Olyvar could have said "Loras has brown hair" and HS would have been satisfied. Medieval law does not hold our same standards on testimonies. "Belief is so often the death of reason." 

-Varys: he wants to put Daenerys back on the throne. Works fine. The only contentious thing there is the issue with the wineseller in season one. Varys may have known Jorah would have stopped it. In my opinion, he orchestrated it before Viserys died, so he knew killing Dany would not really matter with getting Targs back on the throne. 

Sorry for dragging this on but I just think people need to give the show more credit and see a lot of their complaints can easily be explained. 

1 minute ago, dsug said:

Maybe we'll just have to agree to disagree but I don't see any glaring mistakes in writing there? 

-Sansa, Roose, Littlefinger all being really dumb: not sure what you mean. LF is using Sansa as a tool to becoming Warden of the North, offering Sansa a chance at revenge as a reward for being a part of his plans. Sansa plays the game reasonably well, doing what's expected of her while quietly rebelling until she can make a break for it. Roose marries Ramsay to Sansa to give his reign more legitimacy in the North. The people respect the Starks. Having one in his family will cement his reign, get the support of the people, and contribute to his own dynasty. 

Revenge? Revenge how? How was she meant to get revenge by marrying Ramsey? Was she meant to murder him in his sleep? Because she did nothing and she was given no way to achieve her very broad goal of revenge. Essentially, she turns up, gets raped, escaped. Why did she agree to go there?

Roose wants to legitimise his control of the North? With the Northern lords, I presume you mean? Except none of them even go to the wedding. Do they just take Roose's word for it? Why would they? Every man and his dog in the show knows that Roose Bolton stabbed Robb Stark in the heart, so why should the Northern lords trust a single word he says? And if they were at the wedding and we simply weren't shown them, why do none of them care that Ned Stark's daughter is being brutally raped? And isn't this wedding going to attract the ire of the Iron Throne? What's Roose's plan to stop them finding out, and what's his plan if they do? I know that they said that the 'Lannisters would never send an army North' but they can do other stuff, like put a price on Roose's head or blockade the North or hire assassins or something.

Littlefinger seemed convinced that Stannis was going to win the battle for Winterfell. If so, why put Sansa there? Isn't that just risking a piece needlessly? Can't the wedding wait until after the batte is decided? 

-Stannis burning Shireen: it was a major blizzard, the winds of winter, destroying supplies, blocking their paths, and killing his men. Stannis was very clearly losing his grip on reality, and with Melisandre and Selyse whispering in his ear, his psyche was clearly on the edge.  In a moment of desperation and short-sightedness, complete with the promise of a Priestess who's made miracles happen before, Stannis sacrifices his daughter. They don't discuss the fact that she was his heir because Stannis didn't care. He was mad with power/the want of power and acted selfishly. 

Well, here we'll just have to agree to disagree. Stannis didn't seem, to me, like a man mad with power. And even a man who only cares about winning should be able to foresee fairly predictable stuff; like that soldiers might abandon you if you plan on assaulting a castle without siege weapons or horses, or that they might object to you burning your own heir. And why Stannis trusts Mel baffles me considering that she has, at best, a 75% success rate. Bloody Balon Greyjoy is still up and kicking in the show, so trusting that Mel is telling the truth with her dodgy success rate seems kind of stupid, even for a desperate man.

-20 good men: not a huge deal. In the middle of a blizzard with a million freezing sell swords just sitting around at a camp,some guys came in, sabotaged some stuff, and snuck out in the night. I honestly see no problem with this. I mean, there were only 300 Spartans and they were a huge threat to the millions of Persians. Quality over quantity. 

There is no way that 20 men could sneak into a heavily-armed camp of thousands, find various stores of supplies (probably one of the most heavily guarded areas in the entire camp, btw), set them alight simultaneously, destroy all the siege weapons (the other most heavily guarded area) and kill around a hundred horses, without a single one getting caught or captured. That is atrocious writing. It's nothing to do with quality vs quantity.

- Dorne: I will eagerly agree with you that Dorne wasn't great. They took a shit plot from the books and tried to make it better, and didn't exactly nail it. Oh well. At less show Dorne had an actually drove the plot by killing Myrcella. 

Book Dorne has problems, certainly. But the stuff they put on TV was laughable, awful material. The choreography (generally pretty good on the show) was awful as well and even the acting was dodgy.

-Loras's birthmark: I agree that this is a terrible piece of evidence, but that's the point. The High Sparrow is on a witch hunt. Olyvar could have said "Loras has brown hair" and HS would have been satisfied. Medieval law does not hold our same standards on testimonies. "Belief is so often the death of reason." 

Yeah, force often made medieval law. So why don't the Tyrells take twenty guards into that little meeting? Why don't they tae any guards at all? Why doesn't Loras just say 'he's my squire, of course he knows I have a birthmark'? Why does Loras and Olyvar(?) having sex prove Margaery was lying about knowing it? 

-Varys: he wants to put Daenerys back on the throne. Works fine. The only contentious thing there is the issue with the wineseller in season one. Varys may have known Jorah would have stopped it. In my opinion, he orchestrated it before Viserys died, so he knew killing Dany would not really matter with getting Targs back on the throne. 

OK, so Varys thought that Robert was a bad King. OK, sure. So Varys assumes/knows that Joffrey will also be terrible, and thus decides that the Targaryens might be better. Well, first in line was Viserys, who, and let's be fair to him, was about as good of a choice as Joffrey. Then there was Daenerys, a girl who had shown no signs of being anything special at that point, particularly not Queen material. So why would Varys support either of those two? We know he was doing it as early as season 1, and neither of them looked like better options than, say, Tommen. Or Renly or Stannis. Why support a claimant who is either mad (Viserys) or a complete unknown (Dany) instead of just picking a Baratheon and ensuring that they become King? Isn't that easier than setting up a foreign invasion? And yes, there's the assasination attempt as well.

Sorry for dragging this on but I just think people need to give the show more credit and see a lot of their complaints can easily be explained. 

Look, I'm not trying to convince you that the show is terrible. If you enjoy it, great, I wish I still did. But those of us who don't enjoy it have better reasons than 'it's different from the books.'

On 1/23/2016 at 9:02 AM, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

I feel the same about seasons 7&8, but for season 6, it may be only a matter of months to avoid spoilers. Personally, if we get a release date for TWoW by the time season 6 starts, then I'll try to avoid the show and spoilers. But if there's no release date, I'm watching it.

Agree 100%

I am really torn about this. Nah, not really. Ever since the end of S3 the diversions have been bigger and more nonsensical. I just can't take another naked ass around food or witty "pussy" joke anymore. 

Many say that it has gone so far off the books that it is like two different stories... And they are correct. But one is good and one is rubbish. 

For some reason I seem to have no problems avoiding spoilers so I am not worried. If, IF, I do have to watch an episode then it will be a drinking game :cheers:

I'm not sure yet. If there is word on the books release date before the show then I will definitely skip it. Otherwise I think we have to realise that watching the show will likely spoil a couple of things which is quite unfortunate, because I find the books vastly superior. Because of the vast differences we won't know exactly what is a spoiler and what isn't until we hit the book, but they will be there when I read it.

The thing is I'm not sure if I can avoid the spoilers by not watching. You will see most of the spoilers plastered all over the internet. And I'm also pretty impatient, I kind of want to see how certain things play out and even if I'm not certain they will go that way it will still be a set of interesting possibilities.

So I'll just have to wait and see. I wish George would let us know how close he is just before it airs.

4 hours ago, dsug said:

As rant and raver I can tell you that is totally not true.  There is ample material to rant about that has nothing at all to do with the books.  Copious amounts of material that relate only to the show.

But, I'm going to watch it because I have lost faith that GRRM can finish his storyl

I too have lowered my level of faith that it will be finished, but I still can't bring myself to let the story end with HBO. The books have their own issues but what D&D are inventing is not worth watching. 

I could easily drift off from the entire story and be ok with it if needed. Kind of a "get out while you're ahead" thing. 

17 hours ago, 7-KG said:

Sadly, i'll have to watch it.

Tbh, the only way i can see someone avoiding spoilers is they living a cave for the next 6-7 years.

You would not be the save even inside a cave, because BR may spoil you with strange sightings.

I have the same problem too. I will have to watch it and I am totally disappointed because Reading the book after having been spoiled it's not the same experience. (and we will be spoiled because eventhough the stories are diverging they will use a lot of material from Winds)

Yes, because it really can't spoil anything in TWoW. Why?

We don't know what will happen in Winds. In viewing, there will be no litmus to be able to determine what's going to happen in Winds, aside from educated guessing, extrapolation and inference. And frankly, that doesn't even sound worth it. There's far too many plot differentiations, dropped plot lines, non-existent characters/dead characters, et al. for any remaining overlap to truly be an issue for me. If it was ever an issue, really. 

Archived