'Ghost in the Shell' Live Action(?) Hollywood Edition

The Anti-Targ

1 hour ago, The_Gallows_Knight said:

When I watched this movie I think I spent most of my time wondering what kind of animal you hunt with an axe?

Woody Woodpecker?

You've just added a lot more depth to the film.

I had originally thought that this was fine, but after talking with willo some and thinking on it more I think it sucks. 

Hollywood needs to be more diverse. Americans need to learn that white people aren't the only thing out there. And given the chance, I'd rather cast an unknown that can add that diversity instead of someone who isn't that ethnicity at all.

Originally I thought Ghost in the Shell wasn't particularly Japanese, and so adapting it to an American world (somewhat like Edge of Tomorrow) isn't that big a deal. But...it is. 

11 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Originally I thought Ghost in the Shell wasn't particularly Japanese, and so adapting it to an American world (somewhat like Edge of Tomorrow) isn't that big a deal. But...it is. 

I don't really have a problem with changing something all the way like that. I mean, I don't think it's necessary but I don't see it as problematic, and with Japan in particular there's a culture of such things going both ways that's been around for decades (and has, to be fair, given us some truly phenomenal films). 

But if you're going to have a Japanese character, make them fucking Japanese. 

Yeah, exactly that. I don't have a problem with Edge of Tomorrow that much - I think they could have made it better, but it was mostly fine. But to pretty much adapt the entire story including the character's names? Sorry, that sucks. 

8 hours ago, JoeyBanana said:

I don't think simply making a US-based live-action 'version' of it is offensive. This type of change in adaptations/remakes for whatever reasons happens all the time. I don't recall the 'american' The Bridge being offensive to swedes/danes, for example. It just sucked. Which this movie will likely as well.

Named Motoko Kusanagi? Seriously, if you're going to de-Japanify the lead character then change her bloody name to one that fits the actor's racial origins. If you're moving the entire setting to the USA then retaining a Japanese name for someone who is clearly not Japanese makes even less sense than having the movie set in Japan and having ScarJo playing the lead. At least being set in Japan there can be some contrivance about her human self being adopted [rescued] from some Eastern Europe war torn shithole country as a baby.

Right, Tom Cruise's character was not named Keiji Kiriya in Edge of Tomorrow. They changed the name to fit the fact Tom Crise is a white American dude not Japanese. They changed Emily Blunt's character to be British, possibly in part because Emily Blunt's American accent is shit (yes? No? has anyone seen anything where Emily Blunt is doing American?), or maybe because they wanted audiences to see that the military force is multinational.

Maybe what happens in the adaptation is Japan actually takes over the USA after Pearl Harbour / WW2, so now everyone in the USA has Japanese names, because the Emperor decreed it. I'd quite fancy the idea of a story being told in an alternate history timeline where Japan wins the Pacific war.

4 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Where does it say that the character will retain the Japanese name?

I guess official announcements by the studio might not but IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/?ref_=nv_sr_1 has her listed as playing Motoko Kusanagi. But perhaps that's just a place holder so people can tell who's playing the principle characters but names of characters have not been released yet.

ScarJo (and the other cast and crew I presume) is in Wellington right now filming the movie at Peter Jackson's studio. She's almost my neighbour by about a suburb and a half. A pity she's having a shit weather experience, it's almost like winter here right now. So, for sure the script is done and her character has a name. I'm not sure how current IMDB is kept on these details during production. 

I don't think a localised adaptation is offensive in the way that retaining the Japanese setting and name while casting white actors is, I think it is both tiresome (in that it happens frequently, although at least this is doing something new with the move to live action) and takes away from the story being told. It can gain something else when done well and truly translated to the new setting, but you can't take a story out of its cultural context and not lose something. And Japan is culturally very different to the US.

So I say it's bad.

ETA: On Stewart in Snow White and the Hunter...when I saw that movie my impression of her was entirely based on Twilight and negative.  I wonder if I watched it again now I'd see her performance differently, or if she just hadn't shrugged off the weight of Twilight yet/direction issues because she's actually good.

21 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess official announcements by the studio might not but IMDB http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/?ref_=nv_sr_1 has her listed as playing Motoko Kusanagi. But perhaps that's just a place holder so people can tell who's playing the principle characters but names of characters have not been released yet.

ScarJo (and the other cast and crew I presume) is in Wellington right now filming the movie at Peter Jackson's studio. She's almost my neighbour by about a suburb and a half. A pity she's having a shit weather experience, it's almost like winter here right now. So, for sure the script is done and her character has a name. I'm not sure how current IMDB is kept on these details during production. 

Anyone can edit imdb. It cannot be trusted as a source of information for upcoming films and shows.

20 hours ago, karaddin said:

I don't think a localised adaptation is offensive in the way that retaining the Japanese setting and name while casting white actors is, I think it is both tiresome (in that it happens frequently, although at least this is doing something new with the move to live action) and takes away from the story being told. It can gain something else when done well and truly translated to the new setting, but you can't take a story out of its cultural context and not lose something. And Japan is culturally very different to the US.

So I say it's bad.

ETA: On Stewart in Snow White and the Hunter...when I saw that movie my impression of her was entirely based on Twilight and negative.  I wonder if I watched it again now I'd see her performance differently, or if she just hadn't shrugged off the weight of Twilight yet/direction issues because she's actually good.

I refused to watch Twilight on the basis that I read the first book (under duress) and hated it. So my only movie experience with Kristen was The Runaways and Adventureland, two pretty decent movies. I still thought she was bad in Snow White, and she wasn't the actor who carried The Runaways or Adventureland either.

19 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I refused to watch Twilight on the basis that I read the first book (under duress) and hated it. So my only movie experience with Kristen was The Runaways and Adventureland, two pretty decent movies. I still thought she was bad in Snow White, and she wasn't the actor who carried The Runaways or Adventureland either.

Snow white is the only film I'm aware of seeing her in. There was one scene in particular that made me think she was terrible. She's in a forest on her own and I honestly had no idea whether she was supposed to be scared, confused, horny or defiant. I drew a complete blank and it's usually a skill to fail so badly. No idea what she's like in other films but I'm guessing she must be ok or she wouldn't get so much work.

25 minutes ago, red snow said:

Snow white is the only film I'm aware of seeing her in. There was one scene in particular that made me think she was terrible. She's in a forest on her own and I honestly had no idea whether she was supposed to be scared, confused, horny or defiant. I drew a complete blank and it's usually a skill to fail so badly. No idea what she's like in other films but I'm guessing she must be ok or she wouldn't get so much work.

She tends to get a lot of criticism for her wooden facial expressions, and to be fair, she can be pretty blank in that respect. But I think people tend to over-focus on that aspect sometimes; she's good with the body-language and such things in my opinion. She's not a great actress, but she's pretty good. 

So Kristen Stewart was Jodie Foster's daughter in Panic Room. Who knew aye? Anyway, her filmography was pretty light weight until Twilight rolled along. And having read the first book Twilight I know that Bella is meant to be rather plain-looking. Her plain-ness is a pivotal plot device to make the whole thing even more swoon-worthy over the fact that an ultra hot, though mysteriously pale, guy could be romantically attracted to her. Aside from the fact that her attraction is at the smae level as my attraction to roast lamb. Nothing sexual or romantic at all. But that's beside the point.

Anyway, Kristen Stewart mostly got cast in Twilight because she was about the right age and she was "Hollywood plain". And of course once you're the star in a mega-hit multi-movie franchise you suddenly become bankable as a star in other movies regardless of your acting talent. I mean look at Arnie, there's no way he made it in Hollywood on the basis of his acting talent. So, just like talent =/= success, limited talent =/= failure. Though in fairness to Arnie a lot of hard work on the bodybuliding scene, and steroids, was part of what lead to his movie success. So he was famous before he even got his movie break. For Kristen it was a lucky break. She got cast in a movie that no doubt lots of young hopefuls tried to get. We know her name, we don't know the names of any of the young hopefuls who auditioned and din't get the part who might be just as talented or even more talented but didn't quite have the Bella look.

If it's set in US I don't see a problem really. Just really confused she has a Japanese name. As for the Huntsman director (barf) maybe not a great choice for director for a movie with a potentially kick ass female lead. As for the whole Kstew affair I think more people should judge him the middle aged married guy tbh but of course the blame falls mostly on the young woman. Anyway tangent over I am really not a fan of ScarJo at all. Just..not. Her action role character does nothing for me I have to admit. But a chance for a cool leading female character...not gonna turn my nose up at that. Especially if it actually had some neat Blade Runner esque visuals (Doubt it)

I like Kstew quite a bit but here's the problem...she's a really credible indie actress. She just doesn't sell a huge epic leading role. Whereas she's excellent in movies like Adventureland and Runaways. She has this innate coolness and obviously phones in her performances in twilight and huntsman. She's really good in Panic Room as a kid as well. I like her. And i used to be really mean about her when I was 14 and it was edgy to super hate twilight even tho I read and sort of absentmindedly enjoyed the book when I was 11. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

Is this thread alive? Couldn't find another one.

Behind the scenes thingy with Weta workshop and Adam Savage.

Geisha's:

Thermoptic Suit:

It feels like I've discussed this film more recently on the board? Google only throws this up though so it'd have to be a cryptic thread title.

The trailers look really nice in terms of the hyper reality of all the asian artwork and clothing. The robo Geisha and the giant holograms stand out in my mind. I hope it's a good film but there's a part of me worrying it'll be like the total recall and robocop remakes (although robocop was ok once you realised it was just a very different version from the original). I think I'll check it out unless the reviews start butchering it.

Archived