If GRRM wrote himself into his books

StarkofWinterfell

This considers all of his works pertaining to the Universeros (just coined that term, you're free to use it) including, but not limited to, ASOIAF, Dunk and Egg, and WOIAF.

If GRRM wrote himself into any of these, which character do you think it is, or most closely resembles or embodies him? We know that both Stephen King and Quentin Tarantino like to appear in their movies, so it's not so far fetched to say that GRRM has done the same for his novels.

I personally think that he is Sam albeit his younger self.

"Which plan? ... The fat man’s plan? The one that changes every time the moon turns? First Viserys Targaryen was to join us with fifty thousand Dothraki screamers at his back. Then the Beggar King was dead, and it was to be his sister,a pliable young child queen who was on her way to Pentoswith three new-hatched dragons. Instead the girl turns up on Slaver's Bay and leaves a string of burning cities in her wake, and the fat man decides we should meet her by Volantis. Now that plan is in ruins as well. I have had enough of Illyrio’s plans."

Illyrio Mopatis. This is as meta as it gets. 

15 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

"Which plan? ... The fat man’s plan? The one that changes every time the moon turns? First Viserys Targaryen was to join us with fifty thousand Dothraki screamers at his back. Then the Beggar King was dead, and it was to be his sister,a pliable young child queen who was on her way to Pentoswith three new-hatched dragons. Instead the girl turns up on Slaver's Bay and leaves a string of burning cities in her wake, and the fat man decides we should meet her by Volantis. Now that plan is in ruins as well. I have had enough of Illyrio’s plans."

Never thought about it in the light haha.

No votes for Tyrion?

• He gets all the best lines
  • He uses his brains and quick wits to overcome his physical deficiencies 
  • He outsmarts many of his counterparts
  • He's generally a good person until going over the deep end
  • Reads a lot/has a lot of respect for history
  • sex addict (just trolling with this one)

1 minute ago, tallTale said:

No votes for Tyrion?

• He gets all the best lines
  • He uses his brains and quick wits to overcome his physical deficiencies 
  • He outsmarts many of his counterparts
  • He's generally a good person until going over the deep end
  • Reads a lot/has a lot of respect for history
  • sex addict (just trolling with this one)

And Tyrion never finished that dragon book he was writing for Jon Connington. That seals the deal for me. 

He's already there. A little bit of him is in each witty, savvy character that gets the best lines.

-Tyrion

-Illyrio

-Samwell

- Wyman Manderly

- and maybe a little Daario fantasy style because he gets the untouchable "hot" girl (opposite of Jorah)

-Jamie to reflect his (witty) angry side. 

-Jorah as someone who could be a reflection of a younger him in a perpetual friend zone with a girl. (Opposite of Daario)

The Incredible Hulk was created by what's-his-face, Stan Lee ;), to represent his "many moods and faces" and I think it's just natural that a writer like GRRM would let it out in his characters as well. 

1 hour ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Yeah, that's the most fourth wall breaking speech.  Though you'll note that it's given by Trystan Rivers - so it's George in 2011 as Trystan commenting on George in general as Illyrio.  Which makes him both characters, I suppose.

Other than that, Sam is the most obvious author insert.  The Reader also.  And Tyrion to some extent.  Jon is probably the person he'd like to be, Jaime is his misunderstood side, Dany is his inner sociopath.  The Elder Brother is probably his philosophical side.  But then, "We are everyone in our dreams books", as Jung sort of almost said.  

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I seem to recall he once said something about the Elder Brother being the character who's voice is closest to his own. 

Yes. I knew I forgot one. GRRM did say that a part of him leaked into EB speech about politics and war. You are correct. 

I think there's a bit of GRRM in Tormund Giantsbane.

Also, in ADWD, when Lemore tells Tyrion that she should thank the Father above for his gifts, and Tyrion thinks he wants to be buried with a crossbow so he can give the Father the same thanks he gave Tywin, I picture a meeting between Tyrion and GRRM.

3 minutes ago, Joy Hill said:

I think there's a bit of GRRM in Tormund Giantsbane.

Also, in ADWD, when Lemore tells Tyrion that she should thank the Father above for his gifts, and Tyrion thinks he wants to be buried with a crossbow so he can give the Father the same thanks he gave Tywin, I picture a meeting between Tyrion and GRRM.

Tormund pretty much is George at least insofar as his physical description is concerned.

20 hours ago, RumHam said:

I seem to recall he once said something about the Elder Brother being the character who's voice is closest to his own. 

Really? I'm not really sure the Elder Brother had any character. I only remember him as some sort of monastic guy who doesn't like warfare all that much since the Trident.

Archived