Rhaella as Quaithe from Radio westeros

Drogonthedread

I was listening to Radio westeros today on their latest episode about prophecies ..

They came up with this theory Daenerys mother Rhaella as Quaithe .

And personally someone who believes quaithe is sarella sand...I like this one better ..

It will add to nice emotional angle and mother daughter bonding ..

It gives dany some happiness if she get to see her mother and they knew each other and I guess they can disappear after the war with reminding dragons to far side of the world .

If you are seeing this yolkboy and lady Gwen ...that was some nice one and you got me excited particularly at the mention of quaithe having teary eyes when she first met dany ...and your thougts on marwyn at dragonstone and possibly delivered dany was also made me look forwaed more  to the meeting of him and dany ...

I think the chances of marwyn one is more possible than rhaella as quaithe ...but i still like it and wish it comes  true ..

Did you guys heard this one ...what do you think of this ..is there a possiblity that Rhaella may survived and wanted to help dany so went to asshai to learn things about prophecies

I love this theory.

Can anyone and me links where I could do more reading on this theory. My searches didn't turn up much..

I have always found it odd that there's so little known about Rhaella's life outside of her being Aerys' victim. She is the last Targ queen of Westeros, mother to one of THE main characters of the entire series; The  mother of dragons!, also mother to Rhagar and thought by Aerys to be one of his co-conspirator against his reign.

She plays such a large part in the main backstory  but we know practically nothing about Rhaella, herself.

There's the whole lemongate thing and all the unknowns regarding Viserys and.Dany's escape from Dragonstone. 

With all the theories about this and that dead character actually being alive, Rhaella being alive and contacting her incredible and strong (possibly many of the qualities she wished she was able to possess during her own painful marriage and role as the victimized queen of the mad king) daughter who really is alone in the sense that her only family and sense of.home was her brother who was on the road to madness.

The theory is a stretch but it would be a great way for Dany's character to finally have an unbiased connection to her past. Jorah and Barristan do share stories w her but they both do it as subjects. Where, Rhaella is not only a true insider but her mother! It'd also be kind if full circle with Dany strongly identifying herself as Mother.

2 minutes ago, Dorian Martell said:

Why would she abandon her two surviving children on dragonstone to go live half way around the world? Why not go to Bravos and live in comfort for a time? 

This.

I can't see a mother doing this when there was nothing preventing her from staying with her children. Her presence wouldn't have put them more at risk. 

I like the idea of Marwyn delivering Dany. I hadn't heard that before. 

7 minutes ago, Dorian Martell said:

Why would she abandon her two surviving children on dragonstone to go live half way around the world? Why not go to Bravos and live in comfort for a time?

I'm.assuming she was trying to protect them. Her presence with Darry and the 2 silver haired children would draw that much more attention. Hell, she could know a loT about the TPTWP and like Rhagar, believed it. From there, her getting to a glass candle iSn't a  stretch

I love this theory, however, I have not had enough time to scrutinize every detail on my own to agree 100%+ one way or the other. I will say that I remember thinking way back when we first read of Quaithe and tears in her eyes that it seemed... strange to me as well, therefore, was super excited to hear it from RW which made me feel validated in someway.

I am a huge fan of Radio Westeros and think they do a very good, thorough job in each of their topics. Some other podcasts or youtube channels, etc get way too loud and opinionated and plain ol'disorganized for me to sit through.

Here is a link if anyone is interested. The part about Quaithe is at the end of the prophecy cast.

http://www.radiowesteros.com/

8 minutes ago, Nozlym said:

ya cant see a mother just abandoning her children like that

You do realize that mothers are just as capable of up and leaving their children as fathers, right?  For any number of reasons; anywhere from doing what they think is best for their kids all the way down to not giving a shit and everything in between.  All the same stereotypical reasons a father leaves his kids can and do apply to mothers as well. 

It's definitely not impossible that Rhaella left them - it's certainly not unheard of in Westeros, or the real world.  Mellario left her kids, whatshername Rogare left hers.  Maybe she wanted her own f'ing life after being Aerys' rape buddy for decades - husband's dead, kids are in "good" hands, "fuck it, I'm outta here while I still can!"  It's not unheard of, nor impossible.  Unlikely - maybe, but we don't know ANYTHING about the woman so it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

http://radiowesteros.com/radio-westeros-e21-it-is-written-in-prophecy/comments?status=success

2:02 talks about Marwyn with Quaithe.... but if you rewind a few minutes before this then that is where it starts with Marwyn overall which could be very helpful.

2:06 starts with Marwyn and a little about Roberts Rebellion and Draginstone

2:09:45 starts with Quaithe in general

2:26 starts with Quaithe/Rhaella/Daenerys connections.

However, the entire episode is worth a listen.

one thing that i just thought of is when Quaithe touches Dany. It seems like she needed to do that in order to contact her with the glasss candles. If Quaithe is her mom she probably wouldnt have needed to do that? Just a thought

3 minutes ago, Nozlym said:

one thing that i just thought of is when Quaithe touches Dany. It seems like she needed to do that in order to contact her with the glasss candles. If Quaithe is her mom she probably wouldnt have needed to do that? Just a thought

Sorry, no disrespect, but that is assuming something that has never been shown by anyone who we have seen so far that has/uses the glass candles. Quaithe already knew who Dany was and what she is... she was being "polite" about it upon her approach to Dany. If anything, it could be confirming what Dany has done so far to Quaithe, as if Quaithe's touch let her see into Dany's mind past or future. Just my thought because it's after this that Dany's path seems clear to Quaithe and she tells her how to get to the means to her end.

And secondly, the glass candles being connected to Dany does not have anything to do with a blood relation, meaning the candles don't just connect just because you are someone's daughter... sooo, based on your idea, if Quaithe did in fact need to touch Dany to connect her to a candle then it is something that has to be done with anyone at anytime of connection. Did that make sense to anyone but me? ^_^

This was written without the use of the sarcasm font. I am totally open to discussion on this :cheers:

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys III

"Me?" She laughed. "How could that be?"
The woman stepped closer and lay two fingers on Dany's wrist. "You are the Mother of Dragons, are you not?"

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys III

The woman took a step backward. "You must leave this city soon, Daenerys Targaryen, or you will never be permitted to leave it at all."
Dany's wrist still tingled where Quaithe had touched her. "Where would you have me go?" she asked.
"To go north, you must journey south. To reach the west, you must go east. To go forward you must go back, and to touch the light you must pass beneath the shadow."

13 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

Wouldn't Dany have noticed her purple/violet eyes, though? And if you say, "Well, she could've been using a glamour", then why wear the mask at all? 

Well, thanks for that Buzz Killington!

However, Rhaella's eyes are never described and Quaithe's eyes are never described so theory confirmed. Neither one had eyes so they must be the same person.

On the serious side (a place I like to avoid), Rhaella's grandmaw was a Blackwood with dark features. What are the chances she did have dark eyes? Probably slim and if someone else has more info either way, send it on over.

23 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Well, thanks for that Buzz Killington!

However, Rhaella's eyes are never described and Quaithe's eyes are never described so theory confirmed. Neither one had eyes so they must be the same person.

On the serious side (a place I like to avoid), Rhaella's grandmaw was a Blackwood with dark features. What are the chances she did have dark eyes? Probably slim and if someone else has more info either way, send it on over.

:lmao:You rock! Stay away from the serious side, 'tis a silly place

2 hours ago, Rachel of Oldstones said:

I'm.assuming she was trying to protect them. Her presence with Darry and the 2 silver haired children would draw that much more attention. Hell, she could know a loT about the TPTWP and like Rhagar, believed it. From there, her getting to a glass candle iSn't a  stretch

I can't get behind that. She ran with Viserys to Dragonstone. To just abandon a newborn and her second son after her first son was killed seems too far. And about prophecy, even if she was an avid believer, Rhaegar and his son were killed, therefore the prophecy should be dead too. Dany as  TPTWP was Aemon and Marwyn's  Idea. 

11 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

http://radiowesteros.com/radio-westeros-e21-it-is-written-in-prophecy/comments?status=success

2:02 talks about Marwyn with Quaithe.... but if you rewind a few minutes before this then that is where it starts with Marwyn overall which could be very helpful.

2:06 starts with Marwyn and a little about Roberts Rebellion and Draginstone

2:09:45 starts with Quaithe in general

2:26 starts with Quaithe/Rhaella/Daenerys connections.

However, the entire episode is worth a listen.

Thank you!!

9 hours ago, Dorian Martell said:

I can't get behind that. She ran with Viserys to Dragonstone. To just abandon a newborn and her second son after her first son was killed seems too far. And about prophecy, even if she was an avid believer, Rhaegar and his son were killed, therefore the prophecy should be dead too. Dany as  TPTWP was Aemon and Marwyn's  Idea. 

She was ordered to go to DragOnStone, by her husband, the mad king. Dany and Viserys were smugGled away. 

Nothing in this world is black and white, if she didn't die, it wouldn't be as simple as her abandoning her children. After years of sacrifice and abuse, I totally understand how she could give up her children if it was in their best interest.

On 27/1/2016 at 1:05 PM, Drogonthedread said:

I was listening to Radio westeros today on their latest episode about prophecies ..

They came up with this theory Daenerys mother Rhaella as Quaithe .

And personally someone who believes quaithe is sarella sand...I like this one better ..

It will add to nice emotional angle and mother daughter bonding ..

It gives dany some happiness if she get to see her mother and they knew each other and I guess they can disappear after the war with reminding dragons to far side of the world .

If you are seeing this yolkboy and lady Gwen ...that was some nice one and you got me excited particularly at the mention of quaithe having teary eyes when she first met dany ...and your thougts on marwyn at dragonstone and possibly delivered dany was also made me look forwaed more  to the meeting of him and dany ...

I think the chances of marwyn one is more possible than rhaella as quaithe ...but i still like it and wish it comes  true ..

Did you guys heard this one ...what do you think of this ..is there a possiblity that Rhaella may survived and wanted to help dany so went to asshai to learn things about prophecies

Ashara Dayne as Quaithe, makes more sense imo. The Daynes are associated to stars and prophecy > plenty of hints linking AA to house Dayne, Edric Dayne is squire to the Beric Dondarrion, also heavily associated to the AA prophecy.

Arthur Dayne and Ashara Dayne both played some sort of role during the rebellion. Daynes and Targaryens are kin through Dyanna Dayne, married to Maekar I... one of Aegon V's sister could have married into house Dayne again, making Arthur and Ashara not-so-distant cousins to Rhaegar, and his closest relatives after Baratheon and Blackwood.

Anyway. imo, Ashara was not just Elia's lady in waiting, but actually Rhaegar's accomplice, the same as Arthur. Implying they both knew what Rhaegar was doing and (possibly) knew about the prophecy(ies?) as well.

So...let's see if that works...When Rhaegar and Aegon died, it became obvious to Ashara that Rhaegar had erred - or, she lost hope because the "savior" Aegon was dead. Basically, she lost faith at that point...only to learn that Arthur died out of loyalty to Rhaegar, as well. The child she lost beforehand made her more vulnerable, too.

Is that a good reason to throw yourself off a tower?

She was reborn in the sea and went to Asshai to find some much needed answers....

Archived