American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

4 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Old thread was archived for some reason. 

Shadow has been cast 

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/american-gods-shadow-ricky-whittle-starz-tv-show-1201690861/

never heard of the guy. 

He was in Hollyoaks so he's probably a model turned actor. Despite the acting in hollyoaks being generally poor (I only watched odd episodes as a student) it does seem to throw out a surprising number of actors who are fairly talented.

I feel he needs to be tall and broad-shouldered. I think that's how Shadow is described?

Good to see it's moving along anyhow

Havent read the books but I'm curious to see (what I know of them) on screen.

As far as the actor, he may not be the best out there, but he pulled some really decent moments on The 100 so we'll see.

He's a reasonably good actor, especially if you're after tall, brooding and taciturn. He was actually much better than most of the other actors in Hollyoaks (some of the other better actors from which have gone on to appear on shows like GoT) and he's certainly been decent on The 100, considering how little dialogue he has to work with.

Overall, a solid choice.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

I pictured him to be more American Indian looking, but I'll trust the casting.

I mostly did as well, although it was difficult to really get a clear picture of what he was meant to look like.

Based on his performance in The 100 I think he could do a decent job as Shadow.

In some ways it feels like the casting for the characters he meets along the way might be more crucial, Shadow may be the main character but for most of the book he doesn't really drive the plot.

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think the casting of Wednesday is probably the one they absolutely have to get right. Not sure I have anyone particular in mind, but I do think that is probably the most important to get right.

I tend to get British Thesps in my head from the "never happen" Ian Mckellan, to the "could happen" Ian Mcshane. Then again Gabriel Byrne or anyone who's played a devil/trickster well could work. But I think it would be good to cast someone from Northern Europe. I guess that could be an american but figure the actor having an english or (maybe even better) Scandinavian accent would be nice.

14 minutes ago, red snow said:

I tend to get British Thesps in my head from the "never happen" Ian Mckellan, to the "could happen" Ian Mcshane. Then again Gabriel Byrne or anyone who's played a devil/trickster well could work. But I think it would be good to cast someone from Northern Europe. I guess that could be an american but figure the actor having an english or (maybe even better) Scandinavian accent would be nice.

I don't think it really matters, since Wednesday is an American aspect Odin and not really the original.

The guy cast as Shadow doesn't really match how I imagined him looking and I have never seen him in anything so I can't comment on that.

I always pictured Mr. Wednesday as Jack Nicholson, mostly because of the grin. And Anansi is Morgan Freeman.

Obviously, neither of those things is gonna happen. 

I would, of course, be open to them casting Mads Mikkelsen (and hey, he's free!). Though he might be a touch young for the role. 

Shadow's ideal casting would have been The Rock, as multiple people have said in the past. But again, once it became a TV show that was never going to work out.

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

Season 3 of The 100 has just started. Now I'm worried for Lincoln...

Yeah, good point ! 

Didnt think about it when reading the casting new, but you're right... even though it may not happen until the end of the season or even the beginning of the next one since they havent started shooting yet.

But this year, the addition of Zach McGowan in The 100 makes me quite worried for Charles Vane in Black Sails !

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I keep thinking of a sort of Robert Carlyle look for some reason, although I couldnt say why. :dunno: 

As for Shadow, well, he isnt a very expressive man. Hopefully this guy pulls it off. I've never seen him in anything before, though I know he was in Hollyoaks (never watched it so couldn't comment on his acting there)

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think the casting of Wednesday is probably the one they absolutely have to get right. Not sure I have anyone particular in mind, but I do think that is probably the most important to get right.

:agree: Really looking forward to this. Loved the book (speaking of which I still need to read Anansi Boys). Wednesday was my favorite part of the book, so I'll be more interested seeing who they cast for him.

17 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

I Imagined him as a white male, so this is obviously not what I expected.

I don't think much emphasis was ever put on his description in the book, not at all in fact.

Not much, other than the fact that his skin is coffee-coloured. So, not white.

Ethnically ambiguous, I think, is the way to describe Shadow. At different points in the book he's asked if he has any African American or Native American blood in him by different people. I think The Rock would have been the ideal choice about 10 years ago but he's too freakishly big these days. I was really hoping Jason Momoa was going to get the job (he was interested), but this guy seems to more or less look the part, at least, so we'll see what happens. I'm just happy to get any news at all.

Yeah, racially ambiguous is how he's described.

However, IIRC we know that his father is a Scandinavian god, and his mother an African slave - so this casting is fine in terms of ethnicity. I know nothing about the man to comment on his acting or physique.

Archived