American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

That looks good. Peter Stormare as Czernobog feels like an inspired choice.

Yeah, I agree, good actor.

Anyway the trailer looks quite good, pleased with that.

Liking the look so far. 

My only worry is how they're going to pace it - a lot goes on to shove it in to one season and I doubt they'd want to put the effort in for just a miniseries.

It's not like the book has that many clear season breaks other than maybe a sad ending with 

Spoiler

Stopping on Wednesday being shot and Shadow being arrested/promptly freed

But I'll have faith in Fuller on this one, plus it means the possibility of a prolonged stay in Lakeside which I wouldn't say no to.

Also any word on if they're doing the Coming to America segments? cause that looked like the Djinn in the trailer but that might just because his story is a one that can easily interact with Shadow's.

According to this interview (warning, spoilers), the first season is about a third of the book - although we know it's also going to expand stuff, like the Djinn, who iirc is listed as a guest character in this with a planned more regular role moving forward from there- and material brought in from Anansi Boys.

5 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

That looks good. Peter Stormare as Czernobog feels like an inspired choice.

The casting does seem have been excellent all around.

49 minutes ago, Talleyrand said:

It's not like the book has that many clear season breaks other than maybe a sad ending with 

Hide contents

Stopping on Wednesday being shot and Shadow being arrested/promptly freed

If they do three seasons (for example), then that might be an obvious place for the second season finale, Gaiman also seems to think that in the article linked above, although he's not sure whether it would be season 2 or 3.

I'm not sure getting more than 3 seasons of material out of the book would be a good idea because it would be spreading things a bit thin, although if it's a big success they could continue doing stories in the same universe.

I just saw the trailer and I loved it. I haven't read the book so I am going to buy it one of these days. So from what I have understood they are reincarnations of some Gods from different mythologies and there is war right? My question is they all remember who they originally are or were?

On 7/23/2016 at 3:30 PM, polishgenius said:

According to this interview (warning, spoilers), the first season is about a third of the book - although we know it's also going to expand stuff, like the Djinn, who iirc is listed as a guest character in this with a planned more regular role moving forward from there- and material brought in from Anansi Boys.

I was surprised to read this as well, it seems really slow. He's even suggesting that the first book covers more than 3 seasons.

It all seems stretched really thin and borne out of need rather than desire, simply because Gaiman kept putting off writing an adult novel that is to be American Gods II. In fact he still has to start it now.

On 23 July 2016 at 2:30 PM, polishgenius said:

Interesting interview. I was also happy to see that it's full steam ahead with Good Omens too

On 7/27/2016 at 9:06 AM, Jon's Queen Consort said:

I just saw the trailer and I loved it. I haven't read the book so I am going to buy it one of these days. So from what I have understood they are reincarnations of some Gods from different mythologies and there is war right? My question is they all remember who they originally are or were?

Reincarnation probably isn't the most correct term to use, it's more that as different peoples came to the Americas they brought their gods with them. With maybe a couple exceptions, they're all aware of who they are.

5 hours ago, matt b said:

Reincarnation probably isn't the most correct term to use, it's more that as different peoples came to the Americas they brought their gods with them. With maybe a couple exceptions, they're all aware of who they are.

Reincarnation is the wrong word, but the Monarch of the Glen short showed that it seems there can be different incarnations of the Gods in the Old and New Worlds.

44 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Reincarnation is the wrong word, but the Monarch of the Glen short showed that it seems there can be different incarnations of the Gods in the Old and New Worlds.

The ending of American Gods did as well, but I was trying to be as non-spoilery in my answer as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

http://comicbook.com/popculturenow/2016/08/19/corbin-bernsen-joins-american-gods-cast-as-vulcan/

I have to admit, I'm drawing a blank wrt this character. I assume he had a relatively minor part?

I don't think Vulcan is a character from the books, if I'm remembering right. Could just be a changed name of course but could just be a new character for the tv series

I just checked http://www.frowl.org/gods/gods.html which lists all of the gods and supernatural entities in American Gods (major spoilers, obviously), and nope, it doesn't look like Vulcan appears in the book. It's certainly plausible enough that he would show up, though. IIRC, there aren't really any representatives of the Roman pantheon, so why not Vulcan?

Archived