American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

I'm not sure how I feel about them deviating from the source material and adding Dickie Bennet to the cast... the tension In the book was because the balance pf power between the old gods and new was so out of balance... but Jesus --just by nature of how many followers he still has-- would shift the balance of power in the opposite direction....

10 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

I'm not sure how I feel about them deviating from the source material and adding Dickie Bennet to the cast... the tension In the book was because the balance pf power between the old gods and new was so out of balance... but Jesus --just by nature of how many followers he still has-- would shift the balance of power in the opposite direction....

If he were interested in doing so.

Spoiler

My recollection was that he was essentially surfing and getting high, rather than getting involved.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the 10th anniversary edition of American Gods the other day . . .

Spoiler

and the only excerpt I remember of Jesus was in a postscript. Gaiman chose not to include. It was to be in chapter 15 when Shadow meets Jesus while he's dying on the ash tree. One of the few he meets while he seems to be traveling through the underworld. Basically Jesus and Shadow have a glass of red wine(Jesus made the wine, of course, and is very self-conscious about its quality) and the former tells the latter how difficult it is to be a  god, how you have to be everything to everyone and meet their expectations. Gaiman wrote about being indecisive about its inclusion in the text and finally excluded it since he felt it didn't really fit.

So there is a new trailer out that looks absolutely fantastic and wonderfully bloody too. Sadly everywhere website I try gives me a "playback error" when I try and view the video except the Facebook page for American Gods, and I don't know how to directly link the video from that. Anyway, I have pretty high expectations for this, looks brilliant.

One small point - they don't give a lot of time to Shadow in these trailers. Not sure if that's because Ricky Whittle is a lesser known actor than the rest of the cast or what. 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

opening credits. I liked it. Although I could really see much of the names being credited, but I was watching on a small screen

It feels like a montage of all my current shows. There's elements of "black Sails", "Westworld", "Daredevil" and more in there. Which isn't a bad thing as it is a show about a mash-up of mythologies. The music is interesting I like the slightly odd sounding male "ohhh/grunt" at the end.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very excited for this. Maybe that means I'm going in with too high expectations but all the stuff I've seen and heard so far looks good.

I think they are doing an Emmy FYC the day before the U.S. Premiere where they will show some of episode one. So there may be some reactions after that.

5 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Just bumping this thread, as it starts in less than 1 week, so should be available to book in the EPG now.

April 30 on Starz if you live Stateside

May 1 on Amazon Prime for everyone else

That one day wait is a real deal-breaker.

On 25/04/2017 at 0:31 AM, briantw said:

That one day wait is a real deal-breaker.

I'm cool as long as it's on before I go to work the day after. Not that long a wait if it airs sunday night in the US which is the day after anyhow in the UK. Although Starz does tend to stream their episodes in which case it could be a genuine 24hr wait. I survived it with Black Sails though.

Just now, red snow said:

I'm cool as long as it's on before I go to work the day after. Not that long a wait if it airs sunday night in the US which is the day after anyhow in the UK. Although Starz does tend to stream their episodes in which case it could be a genuine 24hr wait. I survived it with Black Sails though.

I was just joking.  I really don't care.  I rarely watch shows live these days anyway.

Archived