American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

Vulcan is a show addition. It's been a very long time since I read the book, but I think the Old and the New gods are pretty well delineated. I don't remember any who transitioned the way Vulcan did. Some Old gods are doing better than others and have found a way to prosper, but none quite like Vulcan. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm misremembering.

The one thing I really did like about Vulcan's town was Wednesday's speech about how there is not one America. Everyone has their own version of it and will defend that version that makes them feel safe. It's a sad truth, but I like how it resonated with me at that moment.

I also dont recall anyone like Vulcan in the novel, but really i need to do a re-read. 

Anyway, some strong stuff this episode. Mad Sweeny and Laura are brilliant together and personally I enjoyed the addition of Salim too. This show has been good at fleshing out the brief glimpses we see of other Gods and characters in the novel, and I'm interested to see where they go with this. 

Coming to America was great again this week, as it has been every episode for me. 

I did like the Vulcan stuff. And in light of last week and Media and Mr. World's "rebranding" speech it makes a certain amount of sense that this kind of thing happened. And really the situation Vulcan is in fits exactly into what Media was selling. There was also a very hostile, tense vibe throughout (part of that, of course, because of Shadow) which built up to Vulcan's "martyrdom."

Agree with @Gertrude regarding Wednesday's speech. May not be American but its something i think people from all over can relate to to some extent.

There were details to Vulcan that were a bit mishandled I felt, but the overal storyline and its inclusion makes total sense. Not just giving a practical example of what Media said last week, but showing us a bit more of Wednesday's nature.

38 minutes ago, Astromech said:

The previews for next week showed an apple tree with the emphasis on the apples. I'm wondering if we may get a certain character next week.

It seems pretty heavily hinted at. Also with the timeline  of the book being altered for the show I wouldn't be surprised.

I have to say I find all of the shows deviations so far in Gaiman's spirit. So it does not seem so jarring, the changes they're making. Though it does make me wonder how certain things will be handled now

Spoiler

(Shadow and Laura's talk in the woods, Sweeney's death)

22 minutes ago, The King in Black said:

So it does not seem so jarring, the changes they're making. Though it does make me wonder how certain things will be handled now (MAYBE SPOILER THIS BOOK INFORMATION? ) 

Not all of us watching have read the book, you know? 

I am reading the book as we speak, and feel like commenting that the Night Clerk at the motel reading John Grisham is straight from the book. That's probably unimportant but it feels like a nice touch.

I simply loved Mexican Jesus.

The credits music is fantastic, but since the very first episode that sigh at the end makes me think of Iggy Pop breathing heavily into my ear. Something about that man's voice, god damn. It played again when Vulcan was killed, fixing it in my mind.

One thing I think the series has mis-stepped on: they introduced Bilquis right away in episode one, and so far she's virtually the only character who's had no connection to the main plot. Even Anansi got a sort-of appearance with Shadow and Wednesday last episode. Bilquis' scenes are just sort of hanging out there, six episodes later.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

One thing I think the series has mis-stepped on: they introduced Bilquis right away in episode one, and so far she's virtually the only character who's had no connection to the main plot. Even Anansi got a sort-of appearance with Shadow and Wednesday last episode. Bilquis' scenes are just sort of hanging out there, six episodes later.

Yeah, Bilquis was a strange contender to focus on in expanding the scope of this world. I honestly thought they would introduce Anansi Boys as a subplot 

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The Bilquis thing strikes me as them really setting out their stall, just showing how strange they'll go. I am assuming she'll show up again later, it seems unlikely anyone will have forgotten her.

It's not unusual for a show to have an OTT sex scene to draw in that kind of crowd with a premier.

4 hours ago, The King in Black said:

Yeah, Bilquis was a strange contender to focus on in expanding the scope of this world. I honestly thought they would introduce Anansi Boys as a subplot 

Given the pace of the show they probably could throw Anansi Boys in as a subplot and it wouldn't affect things too much. If the plan is to include Anansi Boys, my recollection of the book was that it was quite different from the American Gods in scope and would make for a risky continuation without adding something else.

4 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The Bilquis thing strikes me as them really setting out their stall, just showing how strange they'll go. I am assuming she'll show up again later, it seems unlikely anyone will have forgotten her.

She's definitely back in one of the next two episodes. I think 8. I was watching some clips online and there was a shot of her in what looks like it might be another book scene but I'm sort of hoping not.

The shot is of her on the ground before Technical Boy who says something about tearing down her altars. Which made me assume it's after he runs her over with the limo

:( 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

It's not unusual for a show to have an OTT sex scene to draw in that kind of crowd with a premier.

Given the pace of the show they probably could throw Anansi Boys in as a subplot and it wouldn't affect things too much. If the plan is to include Anansi Boys, my recollection of the book was that it was quite different from the American Gods in scope and would make for a risky continuation without adding something else.

I've just started reading Anasi Boys recently. Not far in yet so maybe it changes but I don't feel like it would fit well into American Gods so far.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

They don't actually have the rights to Anansi Boys, despite it being technically the same universe and stuff. The TV rights are with some British company trying to develop it for the BBC.

that probably explains the lack of them so far. Fortunately American Gods can work fine without them as it would have been a pain if they were integral to future plots.

For some reason Anansi Boys feels more like a BBC one drama but that's possibly because Lenny Henry was involved in an audio/radio adaptation at some point.

I am finding the pacing a bit problematic. It's really nice that they can take their time and do the material justice and all, but I do find the episodes seem to last forever... and not in a good way. 

I also find Gillian Anderson's performance so incredibly OTT as to be difficult to watch. If it was just a little one off cameo or something that would've been fine but since she's had so much screen time I just find it draining. It's just... TOO MUCH. Like eating a whole bag of refined sugar. 

I know what you mean about the over the top performances, but actually I think the show needs a lot more of that. Taylor feels a bit off because lots of the show has a gritty feeling. But the subject matter is often a little silly , the cgi moments turn it into this heightened visual experience. I think a bit like Hannibal the two styles don't always gel. 

My take would be to do it more surreal and less gritty , more pushing daisies than Hannibal 

Probably my favorite Coming to America story from the novel, so no surprise I was a fan of this episode. It didn't advance the overall plot much at all, but I didn't mind the digression. I am honestly finding the backstories more interesting than the actual plot in the show. That may, however, have more to do with how slow the pace of the overall plot is. It's starting to feel more and more like an anthology.

I was happy to have more of Ibis and Jacquel as well.

Archived