American Gods on Starz

Mark Antony

19 minutes ago, briantw said:

I was just joking.  I really don't care.  I rarely watch shows live these days anyway.

Cool. If it's good that slight delay might actually start to bug us!

Anyone have the Starz subscription from Amazon that can tell me how it works?  Do I have to watch this live or is it like Netflex where once the episode drops I can watch it anytime? 

Looking forward to this. Convinced some friends to come to my place for the premier. I hope they arent disappointed! I haven't read any reviews other than general awareness that it's good. Looking forward to fleshing out the other characters (no pun intended regarding certain undead ones hahaha).

Excellent intro. Everything feels perfectly in line with the book, imagery and tone most of all. Bloody as hell. Ricky Whittle and Ian McShane are perfect as Shadow Moon and Mr. Wednesday. I can't wait to meet more of the characters in the coming weeks.

I was impressed that all three of the people that watched it with me said they really liked it. None knew the book, and only one had watched the ads enough to figure out who Wednesday was (once they all chatted after, as I resolutely only gave them vague assurances).

The Bilquis scene! Hah! I thought maybe they'd just film it to have her kill him sacrificially. Nope! In ya go, sir! That got some great "what the fuck?!" sounds from the newbies.

I definitely think the casting is solid, and agree with their discussed change to Shadow being a bit more of a talker than he was in the book - he had to be, obviously. The Techno Boy scene was really jarring, I guess I didn't ever really try to visualize how trippy his character would be on my reads.

Next week we'll probably see the Ifrit cutaway scene, which is probably my favorite cutaway from the books. I hope they capture how sad it made me. 

I'm really glad that I have read the book, because that was weird as fuck. And I wonder whether I would have liked it if I had not read the book.

I do like it though, it looks fantastic and the cast is great. Ian McShane is fantastic and a great choice for Wednesday, Ricky Whittle was really good too. Jonathan Tucker and Pablo Schreiber (always fun to see Nicky Sobotka) also did very well with how limited screen time they got.

I do think the music was kinda distracting at times and hope that gets toned down a bit.

I'll keep this short as the board keeps eating all my replies over the weekend.

Very promising start and probably more of a must see for fans of the Hannibal show than the book at this stage. So the music and gore will remain "intrusive" as that's just Fuller's style. Maybe it's a good thing he left Star Trek?

It was a (love) joy to see McShane back in a role that seems like a cheekier Al Swearangen - he even delivered some good old fashioned sweary dialogue on the plane.

That was great, loved McShane and Whittle in the lead roles. Mad Sweeny was awesome and the Bilquis scene was all kinds of WTF. I wonder how non-readers take scenes like that and the "Coming to America" stuff. Though really it's no more confusing than in the book.

The opening Coming to America but was great.

They didn't call him Low Key (how the hell didn't I catch this when I read the book, I feel so dim :lol:) did they? I know he's listed as that name but they didn't say it on screen I don't think. 

They did it. They actually filmed  the   Bilquis scene. What a damn time to watch TV 

Shadow seems a bit different than he was in the books. McShane was fantastic as Wednesday. Not really happy about their changing the coming to America viking scene. Screamed 'foreshadowing' a bit too much for me. For that matter, the final scene - a commentary on Internet troll culture's vitriol against PoC , an Easter egg foreshadowing wink for book readers , or both ?

2 hours ago, The King in Black said:

Shadow seems a bit different than he was in the books. 

Yeah he was always gonna be more talkative on the show than he was in the book. Didn't really bother me though. I felt the personality was still more or less the same. 

2 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I also wanted to mention the darkly hilarious funeral scenes with Audrey. They blended dark humour and grieving really well, and Betty Gilpin did a great job. 

Agreed she was really good. 

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

That was great, loved McShane and Whittle in the lead roles. Mad Sweeny was awesome and the Bilquis scene was all kinds of WTF. I wonder how non-readers take scenes like that and the "Coming to America" stuff. Though really it's no more confusing than in the book.

The opening Coming to America but was great.

They didn't call him Low Key (how the hell didn't I catch this when I read the book, I feel so dim :lol:) did they? I know he's listed as that name but they didn't say it on screen I don't think. 

Spoiler

I see they're getting around the eventual reveal by using different actors for Low Key and Mr. World.

5 hours ago, The King in Black said:

They did it. They actually filmed  the   Bilquis scene. What a damn time to watch TV 

Shadow seems a bit different than he was in the books. McShane was fantastic as Wednesday. Not really happy about their changing the coming to America viking scene. Screamed 'foreshadowing' a bit too much for me. For that matter, the final scene - a commentary on Internet troll culture's vitriol against PoC , an Easter egg foreshadowing wink for book readers , or both ?

The showrunners said in the after episode they would start the episodes with the various Coming to America scenes. That scene was damn good in the book, but I didn't really mind the changes for the tv adaptation. I enjoyed the humor in it. Loved the Viking slapping the fly off the others face :) and the ridiculousness of the battle.

I think they changed the Viking scene because it would have made certain visual themes that were going on with Shadow a bit too obvious.

Just so we're all on the same page here: this is a full book spoilers episode, right? Just checking before, there's a couple things I wanna mention, we don't need to be spoiler-tagging stuff?

Do we want a two-topic type situation here or what, anyway? Is it big enough for that?

Just watched and loved it.

Even knowing all about it from the book, there's a bit of (show) foreshadowing I've only just noticed in retrospect.

Book Spoilers

Spoiler

Wednesday and Shadow on the plane; I can't remember the exact quote, but something like "How about you start looking at my like a man who just offered you his drink, rather than as the man who just fucked your mother"

59 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I put book spoilers in the title cause I figured mostly everyone here would have read it. 

I can edit it into just show spoilers or leave it as is or do whatever.

Seems we're hiding book spoilers at the mo, so you might as well edit it for now and we can throw it open once more people start to watch if we need to...

So, book spoilers:

I liked the way they seem to be designing (and even if not, hitting the mark anyway) it for being viewed differently by book readers than others. Like, for example, at the airport, a non-reader will assume that prison-buddy isn't really there and a misrecognition is just a handy cue for a handy flashback, but we know that he probably is really there and also deliberately had that conversation specifically to get Shadow reacting in a way that will get him on the plane with Wednesday.

Also, more detail regarding the point I made above: I think they changed the coming to America because, iirc, that ended with a hanging, right? And in the episode there's noose imagery with Shadow already even before it ends with him hanged so they may have decided that opening a ep with a hanging as a sacrifice to Odin and ending it with Shadow being hanged may clue people in too quickly as to what's really going on.

Archived