What role will Thoros play in TWOW ?

HairGrowsBack

Topic might have been discussed before, but research mode didn't find anything.

In Brienne's last chapter in AFFC, she has a conversation in which Thoros describes what the Brotherhood has become, and seems, to put it mildly, rather despleased. When you add that to the fact that he also seems to think well of Brienne, I think he might help her (and thus, Jaime and the others) in their upcoming( already past ?) predicament.

What do you guys think ?

I see Thoros continuing to do what he's done all along, minister to the BWB.   He seems to be changed during his travels with Beric Dondarrian.   Rather than whoring and drinking he is able to focus on nobler causes such as justice.   He doesn't see LSH as administering justice.   I expect he will be the one to either find some loophole to prevent LSH from killing Brienne or ensuring Brienne gets some serious help (Quiet Isle anyone?) before or upon her return to LSH.  

As many have cited, Beric gave LSH the kiss of life.   It stands to reason that she may also pass the gift along once.   It is not stated anywhere that Thoros has lost his ability to give his gift.  I do hope this ability is exercised in earnest in the coming books.   I really would like to see if fire zombies have some advantage over ice zombies.

The Brotherhood as it was when Arya encountered it is gone. It has been hijacked by Lady Stoneheart and is now about vengeance rather than justice. Yes, there are some individual members - like Gendry, for instance - who have retained the core principles that the Brotherhood stood for at the time of its foundation. But there are more who have forgotten it and have become bitter and broken men, often engaging in violence on a par with the Mountain's men. 

The role Thoros has in Winds will, I hope, be to remove Lady Stoneheart's stranglehold on the group and restore the principles that he and Beric fought for at, and after, the Mummer's Ford. Worship of R'hllor has been spreading through the Riverlands, which I find interesting given the association between R'hllor and fire and the vision Daenerys has of fighting on the Trident with her dragons. Should the Battle for the Dawn 2.0 be what she sees, and her vision comes true, then it may be key that many of the smallfolk in the Riverlands have converted to a fire-based religion. And I can understand a little bit why they did - Thoros and the Brotherhood protected and helped feed them when the Faith and their liege lords could not. 

As for Lady Stoneheart......I am sort of hoping that Winds will be her last book. I am almost frightened to think who she would pass on the flame of life to (I don't believe it would be Jon, though I understand why others feel it would be poetic given their history). But that is something I think she will delay until more Freys - specifically Lord Walder - have died. I also think - and I believe I have said so on other Winds related threads - that perhaps seeing Lady Stoneheart and how consumed she is by vengeance, might force Arya off the path she is on at present with the Faceless Men. I think everyone on her list will die before the end of the series, but she doesn't need to be the one to carry out the sentences of death.  Perhaps that is something Thoros could also play a part in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Assuming they liberate the Red Wedding prisoners. He will conspire with the Greatjon to overthrows Lady Stoneheart, before the massacre of Daven Lannister's wedding. Though they lost their lives and kin at the Red Wedding, the survivors refuse to participate in Lady Stoneheart's plan. 

Archived