February 2016 Reads

mashiara

I finished This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. An excellent read about complicated family relationships and mourning. Perfect for my current situation and mood.

I'm going to start The Bloodletter's Daughter by Linda Lafferty next.

What are you guys reading?

Fool's Errand is good, though less engrossing than the author's Liveships trilogy. It's amazing how Hobb can make a conversation as interesting and involving as a battle. (Good thing too, because with this kind of pacing, the book needs it). The characters are once again great though.

I'm most of the way through City of Blades.  Should finish it tomorrow I think.

You are not kidding.  There was some rough stuff in this one.  One thing different between Schafer and Hobb is, sometimes Hobb's brutalizing her characters don't always feel like it necessary or integral to the plot, but Schafer definitely does drive the plot as she's hammering her characters.

REG, agreed. 

Think I'm going to bail on Flex.  Writing's a little cheesy - speaking of which, I'm starting Bands of Mourning - time to break out the crackers.

Really enjoyed Sorcerer to the Crown.  Just checked and it looks like this is going to be a trilogy so I'll be checking out the others for sure.

Drake was good.  Reminded me of Sandman Slim and Alex Verus   

4 hours ago, beniowa said:

REG, agreed. 

I'm reading another author who's not very kind to his characters - Ian Tregillis. 

31% through The Rising

Poor Jax, that guy has been beat to hell and back.  He was just found by the other rogues, so hopefully he'll get some much needed repairs. 

Started Ancillary Justice today. I only had about 10 minutes to read, so I am not really sure what to make of it. Not really that drawn in to the premise as established so far, but I've heard enough good things to give it a shot.

Finished Prelude to Foundation, and started Forward the Foundation.

I liked Prelude to Foundation, although not as much as Robots novels. I think that I will spent the entire month in this series (and rightly so, having read so far both Robots and Galactic Empire, but not his most rated series).

17 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I'm reading another author who's not very kind to his characters - Ian Tregillis. 

31% through The Rising

Hidden Content

I need to get to that!  I want to read the final Poseidon's Children and final Shattered Sigil then that one will be next. 

I cannot remember which "Foundations" I read and wich one I liked best. While some of them were quite good, I think I clearly preferred many "Robot" short stories as well as "Caves of Steel" and "Naked Sun".

I just finished P. Anderson: "The High Crusade". This is fairly short and a lot of fun. Maybe it's a little bit too obvious a reversion of Twain's "Connecticut Yankee" but it's also better. Interestingly, I got an anniversary edition (1960-2010) that has a bunch of one page "appreciations" by Anderson's daughter and other authors. Among them Eric Flint who acknowledges Anderson's obvious influence on some of his books. As a friend (a history buff) recommended Flint's "1632" two years ago and it was free for kindle, I started reading it in summer 2013 or so but Flint falls so deeply into the progressivism trap Anderson had so cunningly subverted, and he also lacks irony and is so dully earnest in demonstrating how 20th century small-town Americans are so much better than 17th century Catholics wiht flintlocks that I stopped after a third or less.

Next will probaby be another Nero Wolfe or the 2nd vol. of Black company (I ordered Vance's Green Pearl and Madouc but they will take a while to arrive).

Just finished book 1 of The Stand by Stephen King (the Uncut edition) . I'm really enjoying this book, its both intriguing and suspensful. I love how Stephen introduced the characters and their individual problems and how the plague started to affect each one of them. I deffinetly felt the 'punch' of the crisis as it started to play out accross the various storylines and I like how 'the Dark Man' has been slowly been introduced over the course of this particular section.

I feel its early to tell if this book is going to be my personal favorite King novel (I've seen that almost everybody feels its theirs), but then again I feel like I just read a gigantic and amazing groundwork for a potential riveting second part. 

So far my favorite King book is either Carrie or The Shining, followed by Salem's Lot, The Gunslinger (I'll reread soon so I can finally dive into The Dark Tower series) and finally Dr Sleep.

Archived