US Election Thread - Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa

karaddin

I saw one point about Bernie support being heavily slanted to youth who are clustered in the college town caucuses, which is hurting him. It claimed in 2008 the caucus was before school was back, so they weren't so concentrated.

It looks like it might not matter who O'Malley endorses when he drops out. But I think endorsements from Republican drop outs will affect the outcome of the republican primary, assuming of course Trump and Cruz remain close through most of the first round of primaries / caucuses.

3 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I saw one point about Bernie support being heavily slanted to youth who are clustered in the college town caucuses, which is hurting him. It claimed in 2008 the caucus was before school was back, so they weren't so concentrated.

Shouldn't your vote be based on your permanent address, not where you happen to be going to school?

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah, I've seen the same saying Sanders is gonna have trouble getting a delegate lead even if he has more of the popular vote.

6 minutes ago, Shryke said:

Yeah, I've seen the same saying Sanders is gonna have trouble getting a delegate lead even if he has more of the popular vote.

The US has so many different systems, I can't keep track of it all.  This seems pretty absurd though.

AT - I assume its because it's a caucus, so you have to physically be at the location for the purposes of being counted rather than simply leaving a vote there. Pure speculation though.

7 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Shouldn't your vote be based on your permanent address, not where you happen to be going to school?

Not necessarily, no. People who go to school three hours from home might not want to spend six hours on the road just to vote.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

The US has so many different systems, I can't keep track of it all.  This seems pretty absurd though.

Caucuses are absurd. Especially the Democratic Party ones as I understand. It's a weird stupid system.

Exploiting that crazy system is part of how Obama won in 2008, as a random factoid.

1 minute ago, Shryke said:

Caucuses are absurd. Especially the Democratic Party ones as I understand. It's a weird stupid system.

Exploiting that crazy system is part of how Obama won in 2008, as a random factoid.

It is stupid, and it favors those privileged enough to stand around for hours in a gymnasium. Why do they do it that way?

3 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

It is stupid, and it favors those privileged enough to stand around for hours in a gymnasium. Why do they do it that way?

Cause America does democracy stupid. Like many things in the system, the Iowa caucus system dates back to like the 19-th century.Kinda anyway. I think it's changed somewhat since then to tamp down on the blatant corruption. Since the new system began in .. 1972 I think, it's been hugely important because Iowa is the first primary but it's always been stupid.

Just now, Shryke said:

Cause America does democracy stupid. Like many things in the system, the Iowa caucus system dates back to like the 19-th century.Kinda anyway. I think it's changed somewhat since then to tamp down on the blatant corruption. Since the new system began in .. 1972 I think, it's been hugely important because Iowa is the first primary but it's always been stupid.

:lol:  I can just see the bumper sticker: "America...we do democracy stupid."

Just now, Kalbear said:

Remember how Ben Carson was the leader in the polls for a short time? He's a bit above 2%. Which is still better than Jeb!

I was totally thinking that, somewhere tonight, Jeb Bush is questioning every decision that's brought him to this point.

I can't help but think he doesn't want to be president but couldn't bring himself to tell Dad, so he's going along with it and throwing the campaign. Only way I can make sense of it.

9 minutes ago, TrackerNeil said:

I was totally thinking that, somewhere tonight, Jeb Bush is questioning every decision that's brought him to this point.

Last I heard, JEB! was hoping to place in 5th tonight.

If all went well.

Archived