Twin Peaks - Double R Diner Now Open!

AncalagonTheBlack

20 hours ago, Morpheus said:

If you like the lack of restrictions in the original finale and FWWM, the. you will probably like the new series. It features the most creative freedom ever given to any show, you'll notice the divisive opinions about whether it is visionary or self indulgent wank.

Bobby killing a guy was never referenced on the show. I don't think it was concieved until the movie. 

I think it turned up in the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, and *then* made its way to FWWM. 

On 6/16/2017 at 5:21 PM, red snow said:

The only thing of interest so far has been Duchovny's character which is fun (what is it with the FBI agents being consistently good characters in this show) and seeing some more from Don S Davis (an actor who exuded niceness and affability)

The whole Garland Briggs arc was practically the only thing that made that stretch of episodes watchable imo. Ironically one of my favorite visuals in the entire show is from the episode after he comes back from the (Black/White?) Lodge and tries to describe it.

Part 8 of the new series has really contextualized a lot of those visual elements in retrospect as well...or seem to have anyway. Hard to say for sure with David Lynch.

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Interest in this has certainly plummeted...

After waiting 12 episodes to finally see Audrey Horne again that was beyond dissapointing. 

I'm in the same spot as you -- I'll keep watching because there is nothing else like it on TV, but the last couple episodes have dragged. That said, there are still some really tremendous moments in each episode -- they can't carry it though.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Interest in this has certainly plummeted...

After waiting 12 episodes to finally see Audrey Horne again that was beyond dissapointing. 

It was really terrible. That whole sequence was bad.

I don't think it needs 18 episodes to tell the story.  There is far too much time spent on weirdness for the sake of weirdness; not as a way to tell the story, or inform on the story, or give background on the story.  Certainly not to advance the story.  Twin Peaks needs to be weird, sure, but it also needs to keep me interested in it.  For me, it's failing that, no matter how much I want to like it.

Also, I just can't suspend my disbelief anymore that anyone could continue interacting with Dale/Dougie, as so many people have, without realizing that something is seriously and dramatically different and off about him.

38 minutes ago, Week said:

I'm in the same spot as you -- I'll keep watching because there is nothing else like it on TV, but the last couple episodes have dragged. That said, there are still some really tremendous moments in each episode -- they can't carry it though.

Same. The novelty of Cooper in this fugue state has worn off and I want the show to start DOING something. The Audrey scene was as bad as the Wally Brando trainwreck.

Yeah, this episode was bad. I've liked everything else in this season so far; the beyond languid pacing, the weirdness for weirdness-sake, Dougie Cooper, but this was the first episode that felt truly pointless. I have to feel that this is the result of Lynch having 100% no filter or that he's just trolling us at this point. I'm still going to keep watching because when it's good, it's been mind-bendingly amazing, but I hope it starts to pick up a bit in the home stretch.

This show does the surrealist and/or horror sequences extremely well, but the main plot arc has enormous pacing issues. And the dialogue is mediocre in the best moments and horrendous the rest of the time. I will continue watching for the sake of the, sometimes, extraordinary cinematography and sound design, but I have lost hope of being told a good story.

The pacing is how Lynch likes to pace things, watching his films (especially later films like Inland Empire) make that quite clear.

Also about Audrey, I know a lot of people found that disappointing, but it seems likely from the series so far that she was raped by dopplecoop when she was in the hospital after the bank explosion and that she raised a psychopath named named Richard Horne who was the result of that rape. This Lynch so we can't take that for granted obviously, but there are a lot of clues about that and if that is true it makes sense that she would be quite different than she was in high school.

I really like this, I'm completely bored by everything else on TV right now because of TP.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017/08/09 at 2:14 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

It will be redeemed if she's in a coma and the White Lodge is trying to coach her out.

Something like that, it seems.

I was not the biggest fan of this show, but somehow it's grown on me.  This penultimate episode (next week being a two-hour finale) was a lot of pay-off.

On 8/28/2017 at 3:28 PM, SpaceChampion said:

This penultimate episode (next week being a two-hour finale) was a lot of pay-off.

It really was. The dragging episodes were totally worth Cooper finally waking up and being awesome. The Diane part was also pretty stunning and finally brought together a lot of plot threads: Why she was working with BOB, how BOB cloned Dougie, and I THINK the weird blind woman in the  Twin Peaks jail. That's gotta be the real Diane, right?

52 minutes ago, Trebla said:

It really was. The dragging episodes were totally worth Cooper finally waking up and being awesome. The Diane part was also pretty stunning and finally brought together a lot of plot threads: Why she was working with BOB, how BOB cloned Dougie, and I THINK the weird blind woman in the  Twin Peaks jail. That's gotta be the real Diane, right?

The blind woman's name is listed as Naido in the Twin Peaks wiki.  Played by an Asian actress.  I don't know, could be Diane but I doubt it. 

Oh, the singer at the Bang Bang bar was Eddie Vedder, under his real name.

Archived