Tennis Volume 6

Calibandar

I'd like to see a new Grand Slam champion. It would be much more interesting than seeing Murray winning everything in the same way Djokovic won for the past couple of years or Federer and Nadal before that.

If not that, than I'd like to see Federer win it, just for the fun of seeing all those who were wondering if he'd ever win a Grand Slam again eating their words.

If I have to choose, I would choose Raonic... I am sure the rest of the guys are amazing, but there is something so kind and generous with regard to him. That and the fact that we share a birthday and place of birth. 

If Federer would triumph, oh boy, the uproar in Serbia would never end... But IDK, I believe he can do it... It just needs to be his moment. 

That's true, Federer's draw is a real challenge. It would be tough even if he was in his top form, not recovering after a long injury, so my hopes are really slim here.

Stan, on the other hand, if he could find his top form, would be dangerous to anybody, and I think only Murray could really stop him then.

But the new Grand Slam champion would also be nice, I admit.

This is a really interesting and unexpected development.

Let's not ignore what a bad sign this is for Djokovic though. He is again unable to rise to another level or shift a gear.

I thought his early loss at Wimbledon to Querrey might be a one-off, but since then we have seen it was not.

Still, he played well in the tournament before the AU, even beating Murray.

Anyway this puts it wide open on one half, but Murray remains a massive favorite win here, especially consider that he lost in the semi or final of this tournament again and again. He will want this badly.

I think Fed should be able to make it past Berdych but Nishikori will be really tough. And then he's got Murray already.

Nadal will potentially face a very tough test against Zverev but Zverev can be so inconsistent. Also, Apparently Zverev was really impressive today against fellow 19 year old American talent Tiafoe, who got his ass kicked. And then Nadal would have to play Raonic.

Stan the Man has an easier path to the semi finals. I expect it will go like this:

Fed beats Berdych, beats Nishikori, but loses to Murray ( but ideally this would not happen...) . Murray beats Stan and goes to the final.

In the other half, Dimitrov has been in great form but so has Gasquet, nice 3rd round match there, attractive. Probably best one along with Nadal-Zverev. However I think Raonic will advance past everyone, including Nadal, and the final will be Murray vs Raonic.

Raonic has looked very good so far and I particularly like how he's talking about being more aggressive, more at the net, and that this is why he hired Krajicek.

So, I haven't been able to watch this, but judging by the result and the duration of the Federer-Berdych match, it really was a smooth and comfortable win for the Swiss. Hope he can prolonge it for the next round, though Nishikori will be a much tougher test no doubt. And then the highest mountain to climb in the querterfinal. I would be really disappointed if he could beat Andy Murray only to lose to Wawrinka or Raonic or Nadal afterwards.

I really have to think that beating Murray at this point would be too much, even if he handles Nishikori as well.

I expect a tough game against Nishikori, and I suspect everyone will. But historically Nishikori hasn't really been able to unsettle Federer. Could be a very attractive match. And wow, there is even a chance I could actually watch an Australian Open game since it will ( probably)be in the weekend. 

I'm surprised Fed's gone past Berdych so easily. When I read the result the "smooth operator" song popped into my head.

What an unexpected development. So I guess a Swiss in the final is a must. But which one? In the other half of the draw I have no clue. Nadal? Raonic? Dimitrov?

It would be so fantastic to watch yet another Federer-Nadal clash in the Grand Slam final.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

What an unexpected development. So I guess a Swiss in the final is a must. But which one? In the other half of the draw I have no clue. Nadal? Raonic? Dimitrov?

I would be so fantastic to watch yet another Federer-Nadal clash in the Grand Slam final.

you'd be able to hear the creaking bones on the other side of the world.  would be heavy on nostalgia, not sure the quality would be up there with their best matches though. 

I expect the semifinalists will be Federer, Wawrinka, one of Nadal/Raonic, and Dimitrov.

Althuogh Dimitrov's quarter really is wide open...Thiem and Goffin are technically higher seeds.

I'm trying not to hope that this is Federer's best chance of getting one last Slam. With Djokovic and Murray out, this is one of his best shots in a while, but I just know it's not going to happen. Same with Nadal, much as I'd like the old-time nostalgia. It could be like that time where Sampras and Agassi turned back the clock in a US open final both when they were well past their best and on their last legs.

Women's draw is more open with Kerber knocked out now (fancy that, both top seeds gone in the same day). Serena will surely run through the bottom half of the draw but picking the finalist from the top half is tough - I'd probably guess Muguruza

Fed vs Nishikori was tense.

I did not see the first set but the second set was very close, but suddenly Fed had another break and it was his.

He then took the 3rd convincingly and early in the 4th set had Nishikori completely against the ropes. At 2-1 he had multiple chances to break but didn't take them and you know what happens then. And indeed, he dropped his own service game straight after and lost the 4th. Still, he maintained a slight advantage in that 5th set.

So not as impressive as against Berdych, but then again Nishikori is a significantly better opponent.

Looking at the quater finals:

Federer to beat Zverev. I do not expect him to face the same troubles Murray had.

Stan to beat Tsonga in 4 sets.

Nadal to beat Monfils and then play a cracker against Raonic. Raonic to win.

Dimitrov is in the form of his life and has been for a while, but he can he beat the super solid Goffin? I think Gofffin wins this, while hoping Dimitrov does.

Anyway, great to see Federer go through, and we could be looking at glorious semi finals betwen Stan and Federer, and Nadal/Raonic vs possibly Dimitrov, all attractive players.

Monfils just managed to grab a set off of Nadal. But I don't expect him to do more in this match (hope I'm not wrong).

That would mean Federer-Zverev, Wawrinka-Tsonga, Nadal-Raonic and Dimitrov-Goffin quarterfinals. First two, in theory, look simple - both Swiss artists should advance without much trouble. Second two, on the other hand, could go either way.

But my predictions are Federer-Wawrinka and Nadal-Dimitrov semifinals.

The dream final, as I mentioned before, would be Nadal-Federer, although I say it with hesitation, as Federer's Grand Slam record against Rafa is really not impressive. They played 11 matches in Grand Slams, all in finals or semifinals, and all Federer managed to win are two Wimbledon finals. He lost to Nadal five times in Paris, which is understandable, but also once in London and three times in Melbourne, including one final. More to the point, he wasn't able to defeat Nadal in Grand Slam since 2007. So it would be really heartbreaking if Federer could reach one more Australian Open final with all top seeds out of the way only to lose to his long lasting Nemezis.

So perhaps it would be better, from Federer fan's point of view, if Nadal lost to Monfils or Raonic?

Ok, so this was an impressive display of confidence from Stan the Man. It may well be that even I kinda underestimated him. And the thing is, out of the three remaining AO champions in the draw, he has done it most recently. Much more recently than the other two, in fact. He might be a much tougher opponent for Fed than I thought.

On the southern part of the draw, I think Raonic's serve is the last thing that can seriously hurt Nadal. If he can prevail this, the final for him is a must. And if he was to play Federer, the title would probably be his as well.

Edit: And even more impressive display from Federer. It's going to be interesting.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

He might be a much tougher opponent for Fed than I thought.

Agreed. That semi final is going to be tough. 

I expect Federer to win it. But Stan will be a significant challenge. We've seen a poor first round from him at this AU but ever since he's looked in good form. Typical of him in a way to pick it up like that.

Nadal vs Raonic is crucial, the winner of that plays the final I am sure.

Very hard to say who wins this though. Raonic based on the last two seasons, based on his massive serve, the fact that he is being more aggressive which suits his strengths. Nadal because he has the sort of baseline game that hurts Raonic and because he is in good shape, and that means he is still one of the best in the world .

Meanwhile, Federer is crushing Murray beater Zverev in straight sets...

Federer's black and white monstrosity of a t shirt gives me a headache.  If Konta can beat Serena tonight i don't see anybody else stopping her, obviously that is a big if.  Not aware of any female player arriving at the top of the womens game at that age, anybody think of anyone?

We're well into the second set and Raonic only had just one break point, that he couldn't convert? That definitely doesn't look promising for him, if he's not able to raise his game.

Edit: Rafa took the second set tie-breaker, even though he was a mini break behind at 5-6 and all Raonic had to do was place a winning serve. I think it's all over now, Rafa will never let go such a lead from his grasp.

So, the situation cleares. I don't believe Dimitrov is able to become a bigger threat for Nadal than Raonic, which means Rafa secures a spot in the final.

And I think the result of that final depends a lot on his opponent. If it is Federer, Rafa is almost certain winner, no matter how magnificent tennis the Swiss shows on the way to the final. They played 11 matches in Grand Slams and Federer only managed to barely win two Wimbledon finals. He lost to Rafa 9 other times, including three times in Australian Open. He usually loses in his head even before they go out on court. His statistics from the matches with Nadal are always way worse than in previous rounds. The difference is huge, he just can't play with him in majors and that's the fact.

Stan the Man, on the other hand, is a different pair of shoes. He's the one who unexpectadly defeated Nadal in AO final just three years ago after all. I'm not sure he would be able to repeat that result this year, with such brilliantly playing Spaniard, but at least he would have the chance. Federer would not, IMO.

Can't see the game but it is tight apparently, first two sets to Federer, excellent, but Stan took the 3rd easily ( possibly Fed let it go after being a break down, he does that sometimes). Stan broke him in the opening game of set 4 again though, but Fed broke back immediately and we're at 4-4.

Stan takes the 4th set...

Edit:

Federer takes it!!

And so he goes into final... This man never ceases to amaze me... Quick fact, if he wins AO, he will be only the 2nd oldest GS winner of all time. That was amazing...

All the best in the final, Roger.

6 minutes ago, Leap said:

Serena vs Venus? Nadal vs Federer? Sounds like a weekend made in heaven to me.

Problem is, both questions are already answered for me. Roger only ever managed to defeat Rafa in Wimbledon in best of five sets and I don't believe it can change here. And Venus for the last time defeated Serena in grand slam match in 2008.

I'm glad Federer made it to the final, but I just can't believe he would be able to seriously trouble Nadal. The fact they both are going to meet in a grand slam final again is awesome though.

Archived