What quotes from the book do you think the show delivered on the best?

lightbringer2525

As much as the TV show has differed from the books over time, they still find ways to have particular book lines or moments. I'm a sucker for book quotes, so I find myself getting excited when a particular line I loved is delivered perfectly on the show. Some of my favorite moments like this were when Rob said "This man was only the watcher, hang him last, so he can watch the others die." was perfectly done, and unexpected. They also managed to keep a great deal of Tywin's great lines such as "The next whore I catch in your bed, I'll hang." perfectly delivered by Charles Dance. There are countless others, but just curious what some of everyone elses favorites are?

39 minutes ago, lightbringer2525 said:

As much as the TV show has differed from the books over time, they still find ways to have particular book lines or moments. I'm a sucker for book quotes, so I find myself getting excited when a particular line I loved is delivered perfectly on the show. Some of my favorite moments like this were when Rob said "This man was only the watcher, hang him last, so he can watch the others die." was perfectly done, and unexpected. They also managed to keep a great deal of Tywin's great lines such as "The next whore I catch in your bed, I'll hang." perfectly delivered by Charles Dance. There are countless others, but just curious what some of everyone elses favorites are?

Hmm. I agree about Robb's line, I'd forgot that, and it was excellent. But I'm struggling to remember more. The Greatjon's line about the 'bloody tough' meat. Eddard and Arya's lone wolf chat... But those were the good old days. I think I remember more deliberate omissions of book lines that are iconic or memorable or just popular among fans. 

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Hmm. I agree about Robb's line, I'd forgot that, and it was excellent. But I'm struggling to remember more. The Greatjon's line about the 'bloody tough' meat. Eddard and Arya's lone wolf chat... But those were the good old days. I think I remember more deliberate omissions of book lines that are iconic or memorable or just popular among fans. 

I hear ya. The first season was full of great book quotes. The more the show has differed the more they've omitted great book lines or just changed them into something else. One from last season I was glad they kept was melisandre saying "you know nothing Jon snow". But other than that there weren't too many last year. It's unfortunate because every time they've done direct quotes they've been done really well. 

8 minutes ago, lightbringer2525 said:

I hear ya. The first season was full of great book quotes. The more the show has differed the more they've omitted great book lines or just changed them into something else. One from last season I was glad they kept was melisandre saying "you know nothing Jon snow". But other than that there weren't too many last year. It's unfortunate because every time they've done direct quotes they've been done really well. 

What can I say? It's a fantastic cast, and when they have proper lines we get awesome scenes. Only that hasn't happened in a while now. At least for me. 

And what pisses me off the most is all the lines they sort of include, but alter for no fucking reason at all. 

'Just your sister`, `

OLLY :ack:, bring me my sword'. 

I mean, why? WHY? What's the reason? What purpose does it serve? Answer is, no reason, no purpose. Only the bad pussy. 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

What can I say? It's a fantastic cast, and when they have proper lines we get awesome scenes. Only that hasn't happened in a while now. At least for me. 

And what pisses me off the most is all the lines they sort of include, but alter for no fucking reason at all. 

'Just your sister`, `

OLLY :ack:, bring me my sword'. 

I mean, why? WHY? What's the reason? What purpose does it serve? Answer is, no reason, no purpose. Only the bad pussy. 

Hahaha only the bad pussy. Seriously though was rewatching season 5 recently and that Janos scene really does piss me off. The dialogue from Jon in the book is so good, and could've so easily been done on screen. Oh well. Only thing I was happy about with that was keeping stannis' head nod to Jon 

1 hour ago, lightbringer2525 said:

Hahaha only the bad pussy. Seriously though was rewatching season 5 recently and that Janos scene really does piss me off. The dialogue from Jon in the book is so good, and could've so easily been done on screen. Oh well. Only thing I was happy about with that was keeping stannis' head nod to Jon

Hard to believe season 5 earn the award of best writing...

The only latest dialogue that the show delivered the best was Tyrion's trial. Peter Dinklage really nailed it man.

Wishful thinking, but i hope they kept most of the Ironborn's dialogue, especially Euron's arousing speech at the Kingsmoot and "I am the storm... The first storm, and the last." The show runners don't need to make up a script for the Ironborn when they could at least used some from the book. 

Dany's " a dragon is not a slave".

King Robert and Eddard having a conversation in episode 2 "" there is war coming Ned "" 

Dany and jorah conversation from season 1 ..

Jorah's " rhaegar fought valiantly and honourably and dead " 

Jorah's  beast speech .

KiTN speech 

Drogo's speech among the dothraki after the wineseller ..

Jeor mormont to Jon " are you going to bring him back boy " and " I never said it was your honor"..

Master Aemon's revealing his identity to jon and kill the boy ,I dreamt I was old 

Everything tywin said 

Oberyn's i will be your champion

I personally like Jon reason for abandoning the NW and joining wildlings and dany's break the wheal speech ..

and am i the only wish we have more of oona and more of "attack attack" 

Forget about Walder Frey's " I will find another " 

14 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

Both times Jorah said, "Rhaeger fought valiantly, Rhaeger fought nobly, Rhaeger fought honorably. And Rhaeger Died."

13 hours ago, briantw said:

I thought the "beast in every man" quote was delivered much better on the show than in the books.  It was the same basic quote, but the show tweaked it a bit and made it sound cooler.

Iain Glen is amazing. 

I also liked Sean Bean saying : "Someone brave, gentle and strong"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQgLQP8mnco

Tyrion's confession at the Eyrie

Tywin's speech to Tyrion when he refused him Casterly Rock

Tyrion's confession is even funnier than in the book.

We also "at the age of 80, in my own bed, with a bellyful of wine, and a maiden's mouth around my cock" in the next episode.

Archived