New Star Trek Series on CBS

Werthead

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe the new show should roll with this and have a character that is only ever referred to as "Redshirt"? And a character that's only known as "ensign".

Speaking of redshirts, in JJ's first Star Trek we see George Kirk and Captain Robau wear blue shirts. Now the Kelvin timeline wasn't yet in effect when those uniforms were designed (of course it could be attributed to JJ's people not giving any fucks about those characters), but it is the generation that this show is supposed to cover. So any speculation on uniform designs/colors?

12 hours ago, red snow said:

It wouldn't be the first time AICN has crossed wires from interviews. Weren't they convinced this was going to be about a romulan/klingon/human collaboration ship a few months ago.

No, I think that was something from here, not AICN.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall AICN speculating that at all.

13 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

No, I think that was something from here, not AICN.  I could be wrong, but I don't recall AICN speculating that at all.

I guess it might be them rounding it up but here's what I meant. And this one was definitely just speculation. The klingon theory wasn't theirs though - seems to have turned up on a lot of "best theories" sites.

There was a few things about Discovery that came up at Mission NY, which Empire has distilled into these 10 facts (it's about the best roundup I can find):

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/10-new-star-trek-discovery-revelations/

It’s about finding a space in the chronology where there’s room to maneuver and create stuff. What Bryan didn't want to do is use the same characters that had been in other series and iterations, so he looked and found this opening.

Eh? I can't tell whether he means regularly using old characters, or if he's just dead set against cameos from past series. Is it really so bad? Or, set it post-Voyager and just......don't have cameos. I don't think anyone will mind that much with 13 episodes.

....and would seem to contradict previous statements from Fuller:

“There’s so much about the history that once we get through this first season and establish our own Star Trek universe with the crew that going to be reimagining a lot of Star Trek elements, we’ll be looking in the second season to open up to more familiar characters and how they can feed into the [show].

So much for using Star Trek to launch the CBS webchannel - delayed until May.

I thought they were going to have to get a move on with casting if they wanted it out in January. Not a great way to start by missing the original date by such a margin. Probably because Fuller is busy with "American Gods" and possibly because they've encountered trouble writing the latter part of the season. Fuller's mentioed several times he'd have liked a shorter season and maybe they are having trouble finding material to make up the prescribed number.

Anyway it means we have a lot longer to speculate and be drip-fed info.

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I wish CBS would ditch the subscription idea. I can't say I'm shocked by the delay though. Oh well what's a few more months?

Maybe they will if they don't have anything to help launch it?

I'd rather have a delay if it means a better finished project - it just seems a bit unprofessional to announce the launch with a relatively big splash and then miss it.

58 minutes ago, red snow said:

Maybe they will if they don't have anything to help launch it?

I'd rather have a delay if it means a better finished project - it just seems a bit unprofessional to announce the launch with a relatively big splash and then miss it.

I think it was terrible to announce a date that they knew was unrealistic.  It's just not in my hands. If it helps quality I'm all for it. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I think it was terrible to announce a date that they knew was unrealistic.  It's just not in my hands. If it helps quality I'm all for it. 

I look forward to the behind the scenes extras if they ever do a box-set as I suspect the idea for the show when it was announced may be very different from the show as it currently stands. Again, I'm fine with this as it's better to get a load of talent on board and then allow them to come up with the best idea rather than say "I want you to make and anthology show set after Voyager" for example. But still I'd like to see the development process at some stage as I find that stuff fascinating.

Just now, red snow said:

I look forward to the behind the scenes extras if they ever do a box-set as I suspect the idea for the show when it was announced may be very different from the show as it currently stands. Again, I'm fine with this as it's better to get a load of talent on board and then allow them to come up with the best idea rather than say "I want you to make and anthology show set after Voyager" for example. But still I'd like to see the development process at some stage as I find that stuff fascinating.

Oh I bet it is going to change for sure. I'd be interested in seeing the process too. After the end of Enterprise let us down I think they are going to go out of their way to make it the best show it could be. 

I forget how long ago this was announced but I assume at some point there was a hope it'd be ready for the 50th? But yea, rather it wasn't rushed.

I'm still mildly concerned that this will turn out to be a really great show, but possibly not a great Trek show. I'm struggling to picture a continuous story over 13 episodes that doesn't revolve around the captain actually feeling like Trek. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Oh I bet it is going to change for sure. I'd be interested in seeing the process too. After the end of Enterprise let us down I think they are going to go out of their way to make it the best show it could be. 

I think they have a lot riding on it - if this fails, it could just be the films for another 15 years. I'm sure they've seen how Marvel and DC (and walking Dead) are doing pretty well with their shows and how they could easily expand Trek to 2-3 shows simultaneously on air.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

I'm still mildly concerned that this will turn out to be a really great show, but possibly not a great Trek show. I'm struggling to picture a continuous story over 13 episodes that doesn't revolve around the captain actually feeling like Trek. 

This could well be the reason it's being delayed. It's one of the few advantages I see in setting it between Enterprise and TOS in that they are forced to be a bit trekish (or at least maintain the aesthetic between those two shows). If it had been set post Voyager they'd have more leeway to make it less trekish.

Is CBS still planning on airing the new Trek show on some new subscription based platform?  Heh, knowing my luck, it'll be like Hulu or Amazon Prime, not available while I'm stuck living in Canada at the moment.  I'm not ashamed to say that IF that is the case, I'll use whatever option required to see it, from VPN/Location spoofing to newsgroups/torrents if required.  Stupid fucking idea if they plan on limiting who can watch based on where they live, like SO many other programs (Hulu produced among others).

6 minutes ago, SerHaHa said:

Is CBS still planning on airing the new Trek show on some new subscription based platform?  Heh, knowing my luck, it'll be like Hulu or Amazon Prime, not available while I'm stuck living in Canada at the moment.  I'm not ashamed to say that IF that is the case, I'll use whatever option required to see it, from VPN/Location spoofing to newsgroups/torrents if required.  Stupid fucking idea if they plan on limiting who can watch based on where they live, like SO many other programs (Hulu produced among others).

As of now they are, it isn't new though. They are hoping this and The Good Wife spinoff will increase the subscriber base on their existing service.  But in Canada it is glong to be on a different platform and in 188 other countries it's going to be on Netflix. 

My plan is to wait until an entire season is out, then subscribe for one month then cancel. Do that once a year as each season comes out. If more than one show comes out I'll wait until there are seasons of each available, even if they stagger releasing them like months apart, I don't want to be giving this damn subscription service my money more than one month a year.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

My plan is to wait until an entire season is out, then subscribe for one month then cancel. Do that once a year as each season comes out. If more than one show comes out I'll wait until there are seasons of each available, even if they stagger releasing them like months apart, I don't want to be giving this damn subscription service my money more than one month a year.

I had the same thought. It's pretty easy considering it's only ten episodes. I hope they leave it up once it's done to prevent it though. 

9 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

It's on free in Canada, on Space, however you get that.

Archived