Bakker XLII: If you do not post with the people, then you are not of the people!

Michael Seswatha Jordan

This is the perpetual thread devoted to the works of R. Scott Bakker, primarily the books inThe Second Apocalypse series, the first of which is The Darkness that Comes Before.

The current publication status is 5 volumes of novels, including the latest, The White-Luck Warrior, as well as 3 short stories, The False Sunand The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin on Bakker's Blog Three Pound Brain and The Knife of Many Hands, which is available for purchase. This thread contains spoilers for these publications.

Since Bakker's writing uses layers of revelation, newcomers are strongly advised to finish the books before coming here; otherwise the spoilers will rot your soul. Eternally.

Most denizens of this thread have also read Bakker's non-fantasy novels Neuropath and Disciple of the Dog, but the spoiler policy is unclear. You are advised to hide crucial plot points in those novels.

13 hours ago, kuenjato said:

Does anyone think TGO will be coming out in 2016? I have a feeling they will just dump this into the market without anything other than a copy edit. 

I definitely think they will release it this year, but it might not necessarily be July.

I have been looking at the dates for future books on Overlook website and Amazon.com and something there is a difference of a few months. Of course those books were at least listed on Overlook's site, which Great Ordeal is not. But still. At some point in the next few months Scott will either confirm or inform us of a new delay. It's a bit odd though, Overlook has confirmed multiple times that it would be released in July 2016.

That said, Overlook has just updated their books listed on Amazon, going up to December 2016. There are many new entries, but Great Ordeal is still listed for July 5th.

zomg but RSB fans are adolescents going through their first crushes. y'all should be thoroughly jaded by now. it's the RSB motherfuckers! there's no naivete in the RSB. 

will she call me? i better call her again. she probably didn't get the message. or maybe it got lost. i better call back.  maybe while i was calling that time her she tried to call me and got a busy signal. i better call again to check.  what if she's mad because when she called i couldn't answer because i was getting her busy signal? definitely need to call again.

- Overlook has TGO listed in their Summer 2016 catalogue for July.

- I'm not sure how recently but Chapters has TGO listed for July 5th preorder and is much less frivolous with their release dates than Amazon.

- However, last words from Bakker are that the date is tentative and he still doesn't have an editor, the latter barring the fandom from their merest fractions (via Pat's Fantasy Hotlist - whom I really hope will also get to do an ARC review - and Grimdark Magazine - which I believe only has one more forthcoming issue in which to host an excerpt before July).

Damn, the window is closing for that sweet GdM crossover promo. He should just give them a sample anyhow. Didn't seem like The Knife of Many Hands was all that polished tbh.

Do you guys think an editor would really need to read the first five books? At this point I assume they could just give someone the broad strokes and let them have at it. Not sure if Wert has any insight on how this works. All I know is Anne Groehl worked closely with Martin on ASoIaF and A Dance with Dragons still came out a mess.

8 minutes ago, Bolivar said:

Damn, the window is closing for that sweet GdM crossover promo. He should just give them a sample anyhow. Didn't seem like The Knife of Many Hands was all that polished tbh.

Do you guys think an editor would really need to read the first five books? At this point I assume they could just give someone the broad strokes and let them have at it. Not sure if Wert has any insight on how this works. All I know is Anne Groehl worked closely with Martin on ASoIaF and A Dance with Dragons still came out a mess.

I wonder how much an editor does? The first half excerpt we received (what? three years ago now?) was totally consistent with the writing of the first five. Perhaps that excerpt was polished by his former editor and RSB absolutely needs guidance on forming sentences, but based on Time, Light and Gravity, nah. Just get the book out already. 

Archived