Source of Importance of Dayne Words

RobOsevens

There has been a lot of topics about the Dayne's and their words lately and I have seen and thought myself that GRRM said he cannot reveal the Dayne words yet as they would reveal too much. I cannot find the source of this information and I wonder if anyone has the source or if we have all been making an assumption on this. 

As a side note I wonder what other assumptions that seem to be the norm on here that have no confirmation from GRRM or evidence in the books

I wouldn't be surprised, it wouldn't be the first time someone said George said something, their word was taken, and it was spread around as gospel.  I had a theory that Ned Stark planned to possibly betray Robert after the Greyjoy Rebellion by volunteering to take Theon hostage, with the intention of letting him go if Balon did rebel.  I was told by multiple people that GRRM confirmed in an interview that Ned would have done his duty and taken Theon's head if Balon rebelled, it seemed odd, but I justified it to myself by thinking that Ned would see it as Balon killing his son, not himself.  Then I brought it up later and found out that there is no interview where GRRM said that - but I had repeated that there was, based on hearsay.

4 minutes ago, A Song of Ass and Fire said:

I wouldn't be surprised, it wouldn't be the first time someone said George said something, their word was taken, and it was spread around as gospel.  I had a theory that Ned Stark planned to possibly betray Robert after the Greyjoy Rebellion by volunteering to take Theon hostage, with the intention of letting him go if Balon did rebel.  I was told by multiple people that GRRM confirmed in an interview that Ned would have done his duty and taken Theon's head if Balon rebelled, it seemed odd, but I justified it to myself by thinking that Ned would see it as Balon killing his son, not himself.  Then I brought it up later and found out that there is no interview where GRRM said that - but I had repeated that there was, based on hearsay.

Thanks for the reply! 

4 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

20 views in 2 hours and no one can corroborate the idea that GRRM hasn't given us the Dayne words because doing so would reveal too much or would be too spoilery? 

If this is the case how come it seems to be an assumption that a lot of us are making?

This forum's fascination with Daynes is way more fascinating than the Daynes themselves. There's a tendency to blow what we know of them out of all proportion. Apparently, there's also a tendency to do the same thing to stuff we don't know. GRRM didn't mention their house motto? Oh, it must mean something!

This is a post from Elio about House Dayne's words from 2012:

On 4/29/2012 at 5:29 PM, Ran said:

Fallen and Reborn is made up by someone at random, maybe someone who was playing the tabletop game or something and wanted words for the house.

I've the house words from GRRM, but he wasn't particularly happy with it and wasn't sure it'd be the final set of words... but I can't really say what they are. So keep speculating.

I will say I've always favored "Dawn Brings Light"... but maybe that's too on-the-nose. ;)

Found this, too:

[–]Elio_Garcia 9 points 1 year ago 

I'm not sure George said he wanted to use it for the main series. I think what I wrote was that we would have loved all the Dayne info we could get, and tried to pry it out of him, but all we got is what you see there (besides a brief Dayne family tree, which is not published).

I think George has his reasons for not revealing more about them in the WoIaF, but I wouldn't go so far as to assume he means to use it all in ASoIaF. I just think it's likely that there's some relevance to them to the ongoing story.

19 hours ago, Giantsbanesmember said:

Do you have a link or anything to show where GRRM said that?  Now you have me interested.  Are there any other houses whose words we do not know?  If there are more I wouldn't think much of it but if house Dayne is the only one something may be fishy.

I gather RobOsevens is looking for a link as well.  The OP says he can't find the source and is wondering if we've all just been making an assumption based on hearsay.  Or if someone does know the source!

Dayne's aren't the only House that we don't have words for.  We don't know House Blackwood or Bracken's words, either.  Along with dozens of minor houses that barely merit a mention beyond filler in the books.  I think House Dayne's words are so fascinating because of the hearsay that GRRM is keeping the Dayne's house words secret.  

Though I am curious about Blackwood and Bracken words, too, now! 

19 hours ago, Giantsbanesmember said:

Do you have a link or anything to show where GRRM said that?  Now you have me interested.  Are there any other houses whose words we do not know?  If there are more I wouldn't think much of it but if house Dayne is the only one something may be fishy.

Sorry for the no reply Giantsbane

1 minute ago, Jak Scaletongue said:

I gather RobOsevens is looking for a link as well.  The OP says he can't find the source and is wondering if we've all just been making an assumption based on hearsay.  Or if someone does know the source!

Dayne's aren't the only House that we don't have words for.  We don't know House Blackwood or Bracken's words, either.  Along with dozens of minor houses that barely merit a mention beyond filler in the books.  I think House Dayne's words are so fascinating because of the hearsay that GRRM is keeping the Dayne's house words secret.  

Though I am curious about Blackwood and Bracken words, too, now! 

And yes Jak, I am looking for a link or the source of this info. 

As to the other houses I've seen it somewhere maybe a SSM that GRRM hasnt created words for all of the houses, but the assumption about the Dayne words inparticular being too spoilery to reveal yet is my main question here

8 minutes ago, RobOsevens said:

Sorry for the no reply Giantsbane

And yes Jak, I am looking for a link or the source of this info. 

As to the other houses I've seen it somewhere maybe a SSM that GRRM hasnt created words for all of the houses, but the assumption about the Dayne words inparticular being too spoilery to reveal yet is my main question here

Fair enough - I could see the Dayne's words being spoilery, mostly because the whole House is quite mysterious.  I'm just now curious about the Blackwood/Bracken words  - just from having checked to make sure we didn't actually have their words and I forgot them!  I doubt the Blackwood/Bracken words would "spoil" anything, and he may not have any words for them yet.  I'm half expecting "Death to Brackens" and "Die, Blackwoods, Die" (not likely, I know, but I'm over-tired and a little silly right now!)

Unfortunately, I don't the source of this rumour, either.  I've heard it batted around a lot, but I'm not sure where it comes from.  Sorry I can't be of more help in that regard!

Archived