Better Call Saul

RumHam

1 hour ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

This show is really enjoyable, but while I enjoy seeing Saul before he was Saul, I really, really want them to continue Saul's story and do full episodes set in the Cinnabon present. The whole cold open was just brilliant. 

And watch him work a 9-5 for a 10 episode order?

41 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I am with you. I don't want to see much of the beat down Slippin Jimmy. I want to see Jimmy become Saul. I want to see more of Mike's jobs for Saul.

I have very little interest in seeing Saul as a 40-50 year old man lonely and managing a cinnabon with a boring solitary life. I mean he clearly has zero friends or he would have called someone to try to help him instead of sitting in the trash area for two hours. Who wants to watch that depressing train wreck?

Now, if this is just a cover and he secretly has another property that he goes to, then I am in.

I actually figured taking the job was just a cover as part of another long con.  He's done doing the right thing.  Flipping the switch he's not supposed to flip shows us how true that was.  I'd think the job at the law firm will provide him with the necessary capital and influence to continue doing the wrong thing.  I also wouldn't be surprised if his con work totally destroyed the reputation of this Santa Fe firm.  

54 minutes ago, Jack Bauer 24 said:

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

I have very little interest in seeing Saul as a 40-50 year old man lonely and managing a cinnabon with a boring solitary life.

Well obviously something interesting would happen. Just like Breaking Bad wasn't a series about Walter teaching chemistry. Saul is still a fugitive, after all. 

46 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Well obviously something interesting would happen. Just like Breaking Bad wasn't a series about Walter teaching chemistry. Saul is still a fugitive, after all. 

Yeah, was stating the obvious. No show could exist like that.

37 minutes ago, NestorMakhnosLovechild said:

I feel like some people don't know how television shows work. 

I feel like Deadpool looking at my screen right now and saying, did you really think anyone thought they would show him work all day and go home to a tv dinner?  

Great episode. Had been conning myself into thinking I'd wait a month or two and watch the season in blocks, I made it to Thursday :|

Recognised the bluetooth douchebag straight away but didn't catch the tequila reference. 43 minutes or whatever just wasn't enough i want moooooore!!

Premiere was solid. Season 1 of this show was by far the best thing on TV last year along with Ash vs Evil Dead so my expectations are high, but considering how ridiculously consistent Vince Gilligan is I'm fairly optimistic. 

On 2/19/2016 at 9:25 PM, dooog said:

Recognised the bluetooth douchebag straight away but didn't catch the tequila reference.

Same.

3 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Premiere was solid. Season 1 of this show was by far the best thing on TV last year along with Ash vs Evil Dead so my expectations are high, but considering how ridiculously consistent Vince Gilligan is I'm fairly optimistic. 

Same.

I'm still so mad that they gave the Emmy to Peter Dinklage and not Jonathan Banks. Dinklage is a great actor, but he really had nothing outstanding to do in season 5, he basically did the same thing as in season 2, but had far less memorable scenes. I think the "I broke my boy"-speech alone would have made Banks a more worthy winner. But, whatever, the Emmys are garbage.

Solid episode. This is one of the few shows that has exceeded my expectations. I'm glad that Jimmy ended up taking the job as the transition into full blown Saul suggested in the season 1 finale felt a bit too sudden. I agree with what Dr. Pepper has said: Jimmy will use the job at the law firm as cover for his con jobs. The switch showed that he just can't help himself and Saul is bubbling just beneath the surface. I think that this will eventually result in a falling out between Jimmy and Kim and that is what will catapult him into full on Saul mode.

I recognised the "Ken Wins" guy almost immediately and the tequila bottle looked familiar so I went back to the BB episode and it was the same brand that Gus uses to poison the cartel - love that Gilligan has included these little nods.

7 hours ago, The Lord of Cinder said:

I'm still so mad that they gave the Emmy to Peter Dinklage and not Jonathan Banks. Dinklage is a great actor, but he really had nothing outstanding to do in season 5, he basically did the same thing as in season 2, but had far less memorable scenes. I think the "I broke my boy"-speech alone would have made Banks a more worthy winner. But, whatever, the Emmys are garbage.

From what I understand the reason GoT won so many Emmys for Season 5 was because it had been passed over in previous seasons usually in favor of Breaking Bad. Like it was a make up year for GoT, and ironically it happened for the most widely criticized season of GoT thus far...well by fans anyway. The critics still seem totally enamored with the show for whatever fucked up reason.

That said I agree that it was a total fucking travesty. Regardless of your opinion of Season 5, I don't think anyone could argue that Dinklage did anything even close to Mike's monologues in Five-O. But if anything it only adds further weight to how bullshit those awards really are anyway.

1 hour ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

From what I understand the reason GoT won so many Emmys for Season 5 was because it had been passed over in previous seasons usually in favor of Breaking Bad. Like it was a make up year for GoT, and ironically it happened for the most widely criticized season of GoT thus far...well by fans anyway. The critics still seem totally enamored with the show for whatever fucked up reason.

That said I agree that it was a total fucking travesty. Regardless of your opinion of Season 5, I don't think anyone could argue that Dinklage did anything even close to Mike's monologues in Five-O. But if anything it only adds further weight to how bullshit those awards really are anyway.

I thought Dinklage was the obvious choice. Congrats Peter. Well deserved. His sit down with Dany is iconic and will go down as one of the all time great moments, his Stone Men scene was amazing, and when he saw Drogon enter Daznak it was simply mesmerizing. He conveyed the shock and awe brilliantly.

And another thing...BCS was one of the top shows of 2015. I agree. But Ash? I enjoyed it, but tops of 2015? Penny Dreadful, Black Sails, Banshee, The Leftovers, The Knick, Vikings, The Last Kingdom, and I could go on.

great start to the season. It's one of those shows that is just incredibly well done. It maybe doesn't have jaw-dropping moments but production wise this is a class act from top to bottom.

I love how much they make me want bad things happen to the moron selling pharma to the gangsters.

The framing of the b&w opening was excellent - I love how they made the crate appear larger than it was until the moment Saul sat down on it.

I'm missing who the stock guy was? Ah, never mind found the answer on page 1

On 2/20/2016 at 0:26 PM, Jack Bauer 24 said:

I thought Dinklage was the obvious choice. Congrats Peter. Well deserved. His sit down with Dany is iconic and will go down as one of the all time great moments, his Stone Men scene was amazing, and when he saw Drogon enter Daznak it was simply mesmerizing. He conveyed the shock and awe brilliantly.

And another thing...BCS was one of the top shows of 2015. I agree. But Ash? I enjoyed it, but tops of 2015? Penny Dreadful, Black Sails, Banshee, The Leftovers, The Knick, Vikings, The Last Kingdom, and I could go on.

I'm not saying Dinklage was bad, and he's definitely had some great moments on GoT before as recently as Season 4. But in Season 5? All the stuff you mentioned was all well and good but none of it blew me away the way Mikes monologue in Five-O did.

And Ash vs. Evil Dead was great because it was exactly what it needed to be. To be fair I haven't watched most of the other shows you mentioned, but I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than the last season of Vikings, which had its moments but was kind of uneven overall imo.

But then of course, all of this is totally subjective anyway.

If you saw the show, even Dinklage himself seemed somewhat embarrassed by his win. Clearly he, like everyone else, expected it to be between Banks and Mendelsohn.

But he did win for the same reason the show did: a change in the Emmy rules that basically allowed people to vote without seeing all the nominees, which just lead to the most popular shows winning in every category regardless of quality.

On 2/20/2016 at 3:54 AM, Consigliere said:

Solid episode. This is one of the few shows that has exceeded my expectations. I'm glad that Jimmy ended up taking the job as the transition into full blown Saul suggested in the season 1 finale felt a bit too sudden. I agree with what Dr. Pepper has said: Jimmy will use the job at the law firm as cover for his con jobs. The switch showed that he just can't help himself and Saul is bubbling just beneath the surface. I think that this will eventually result in a falling out between Jimmy and Kim and that is what will catapult him into full on Saul mode.

Actually, I'm guessing it's the opposite.  That he gets screwed over somehow in the lawyery stuff, and that sends him full Saul, which ruins his relationship with Kim.

Either that or she gets killed.

Archived