Puns and Wordplay

Seams

Thanks to redditor I-am-the-Peel for the main bulk of this one. And it's pretty juicy.

So, her theory is that Mance Rayder may be working for the Others. Full theory on reddit here: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/11pn9bx/spoilers_extended_mance_rayder_is_a_servant_of/

By reading his role as someone who is helping, or aiding, necromancy (raising the dead) we get this parsing of his name: (Necro) mancer Aider. Mance - R - Ayder ... etc.

But -  if we add the fact that he was "born a crow" then we can use the word né, as in Jane Smith, né Thompson. Born Thompson, but changed their surname. Né crow. Born a crow ( his father was in the NW). This completes the wordplay.

Then we get Né crow - mance - r  - ayder

Necromancer Aider.

Edited by Sandy Clegg

I just want to document, for the record, @Evolett's brilliant observation that the Trident (along with its Neptune associations) is a big visual pun for the Greek letter "psi."

And "psi" is a term that GRRM has outright used in past works to refer to telepathy and other mind-powers--for instance, in Tuf Voyaging, with reference to cats, and the "psi-psych" in Nightflyers who studies telepaths. So it's likely intentional!

In my opinion, the Trident also reflects the three competing magical bloodlines that are adapted to incompatible terrains, so it all being "psy" in the end makes sense in this respect too (including the corpse-handling Others: see Nightflyers). Hats off, Evolett! 

My contribution is not as substantial, but I just threw in the joke of the Stark siblings connecting to one another through their wolf dreams is perhaps an instance of "nep-tuning." :D

Another fun one.

In Jon Conningtom's chapter we meet the Golden Company's spymaster, Lysono Maar, who is essentially the answer to 'what if Dany was a male sellsword? ....'

with lilac eyes and white-gold hair and lips that would have been the envy of a whore. At first glance, Griff had almost taken him for a woman. His fingernails were painted purple, and his earlobes dripped with pearls and amethysts.

Heavy Dany symbolism. And who is Dany?

One of her many titles = Slayer of Lies.

Lies are killed. 

Lies are no more.

Lysono Maar.

I'm sure that this has been discussed somewhere in the thread, but it just hit me recently while re-reading the Sansa snow castle chapter that roadside is a perfect backwards anagram for side road.

"Do you require guarding?" Marillion said lightly. "I am composing a new song, you should know. A song so sweet and sad it will melt even your frozen heart. 'The Roadside Rose,' I mean to call it. About a baseborn girl so beautiful she bewitched every man who laid eyes upon her."—ASOS VII

A side road is another path to to possibly the same destination. I say possibly because it can sometimes be a meandering by that takes you to a different destination or slows you down. If read backwards, roadside implies Sansa as a possible side road to the weirwoods.  It made me look at the other occurrences in the text and while the word in full only appears 7 times in the text, the passages are very interesting. 

The Gate of the Gods was open when they reached it, but two dozen wayns were lined up along the roadside, loaded with casks of cider, barrels of apples, bales of hay, and some of the biggest pumpkins Jaime had ever seen. Almost every wagon had its guards; men-at-arms wearing the badges of small lordlings, sellswords in mail and boiled leather, sometimes only a pink-cheeked farmer's son clutching a homemade spear with a fire-hardened point. Jaime smiled at them all as he trotted past. At the gate, the gold cloaks were collecting coin from each driver before waving the wagons through. "What's this?" Steelshanks demanded.

"They got to pay for the right to sell inside the city. By command of the King's Hand and the master of coin."
—ASOS Jaime VII

You can enter the city of the gods via the side road, but payment must be made, and it usually, means your death or sacrifice.

After the hardships of the long relentless drive south, the prospect of even a single night in an inn had cheered Tyrion mightily … though he rather wished it had not been this inn again, with all its memories. His father had set a grueling pace, and it had taken its toll. Men wounded in the battle kept up as best they could or were abandoned to fend for themselves. Every morning they left a few more by the roadside, men who went to sleep never to wake. Every afternoon a few more collapsed along the way. And every evening a few more deserted, stealing off into the dusk. Tyrion had been half-tempted to go with them.—AGOT Tyrion IX

Using the side road is also treasonous.

"Treason is a noxious weed," Pycelle declared solemnly. "It must be torn up, root and stem and seed, lest new traitors sprout from every roadside."—AGOT Sansa V

I am curious about the implication of this passage of side roads once leading to villages where marriages and newborns were celebrated...especially the newborn aspect. It suggests that children are never born in those villages anymore. Could this be a hint about George's neverborn from his infamous outline.

"Most have lost their homes. Suffering is everywhere . . . and grief, and death. Before coming to King's Landing, I tended to half a hundred little villages too small to have a septon of their own. I walked from each one to the next, performing marriages, absolving sinners of their sins, naming newborn children. Those villages are no more, Your Grace. Weeds and thorns grow where gardens once flourished, and bones litter the roadsides."

—AFFC Cersei VI

This passage is very interesting.

When Podrick asked the name of the inn where they hoped to spend the night, Septon Meribald seized upon the question eagerly, perhaps to take their minds off the grisly sentinels along the roadside. "The Old Inn, some call it. There has been an inn there for many hundreds of years, though this inn was only raised during the reign of the first Jaehaerys, the king who built the kingsroad. Jaehaerys and his queen slept there during their journeys, it is said. For a time the inn was known as the Two Crowns in their honor, until one innkeep built a bell tower, and changed it to the Bellringer Inn. Later it passed to a crippled knight named Long Jon Heddle, who took up ironworking when he grew too old to fight. He forged a new sign for the yard, a three-headed dragon of black iron that he hung from a wooden post. The beast was so big it had to be made in a dozen pieces, joined with rope and wire. When the wind blew it would clank and clatter, so the inn became known far and wide as the Clanking Dragon."

"Is the dragon sign still there?" asked Podrick.

"No," said Septon Meribald. "When the smith's son was an old man, a bastard son of the fourth Aegon rose up in rebellion against his trueborn brother and took for his sigil a black dragon. These lands belonged to Lord Darry then, and his lordship was fiercely loyal to the king. The sight of the black iron dragon made him wroth, so he cut down the post, hacked the sign into pieces, and cast them into the river. One of the dragon's heads washed up on the Quiet Isle many years later, though by that time it was red with rust. The innkeep never hung another sign, so men forgot the dragon and took to calling the place the River Inn. In those days, the Trident flowed beneath its back door, and half its rooms were built out over the water. Guests could throw a line out their window and catch trout, it's said. There was a ferry landing here as well, so travelers could cross to Lord Harroway's Town and Whitewalls."—AFFC Brienne VII

Thoughts?

@Stormy4400 The topic of Marillion's song for Sansa is an excellent one, and I can't remember another thread discussing it, so nice catch.

The excerpts you helpfully provided seem to cluster around a theme of death or disuse, in my opinion. I don't see the "side road" motif that you suggest although I could be persuaded with more evidence. What comes across to me is the sense that a person or thing has stepped out of the road (a journey or path is often a literary metaphor for living a life) and become - at least temporarily - removed from the journey. There is still a destination ahead and there is an implication that the person can get back on the path. (In these books, rebirth is a regular occurrence and it can take many forms.)

I'm trying out the idea that singers "invent" characters into new roles: a hero becomes a hero because a singer writes a song about him. So Marillion writing a song for Sansa may be a way of telling the reader that Sansa has been off the road (on the roadside) but she is about to rise again (i.e., become a rose). 

I never know how far to take the anagram thing but I experimented with "roadside rose" to see if there might be a hidden message in the title. The first one that came up is "dead sororise." What the what? This might fit well with other important symbols in the books - "dead" could confirm that something on the roadside has experienced a death of some kind. The "-rise" in the second word could tell us that the dead person or thing will rise. Or maybe the salient bit is "-ise," part of the ice/eyes wordplay that tells us a sword and/or eyes are part of the symbolism. "Soror" is a Greek root word for sister, like "sororities" in college. 

Is Marillion turning Sansa into Dark Sister? That seems like a good fit for the trained liar and schemer that Littlefinger is educating. 

Marillion as a smith is an interesting idea. He once possessed the shadow cat cloak that came into Tyrion's possession shortly before he was imprisoned at the Eyrie. When Lysa tries to kill Sansa, Marillion is singing a song about a lady sewing in her garden. Is that an Arya allusion, refering to the sword called Needle? I think Marillion may be a magical version of Tyrion: his name includes the word "lion," he tries to have sex with Sansa (I know Tyrion does not do this, but he is her husband and could if he wanted to), he is badly maimed and he seems to have died or been imprisoned in an ice cell but maybe not because Sweetrobin can still hear him. One of those interesting unexplained situations that GRRM likes to include to keep us guessing or digging into the symbolism. 

But there are lots of other possibilities for "roadside rose" anagrams, including red door, odor, maybe something to do with the sea or the "dire" of direwolf. Another complete anagram is "adored osiers." An osier is a type of willow tree - Sansa is a parallel for the Willow character at the inn at the crossroads.

Marillion is wrong about Sansa being a baseborn girl, of course, so I look at that to see whether GRRM might have buried a clue there about what is going on with this song. "Lion grabber"? Does Sansa bewitch lions in order to grab them? Will she be a grabber at a later point? Hmm. Azor Ahai slayed a lion in an attempt to temper the blade of his sword. But who knows. Robin, barrel, barber - all of these things play a role in the books but it's hard to say whether the author deliberately linked them to this moment in Sansa's arc, or if it is just a coincidence. 

So thank you for raising an interesting topic. Worth exploring in greater depth, for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

This is surely the perfect place to post this.

Wordplay beginners and experts alike will get something out of this, I promise. 

Here, Simon carefully goes through each clue in this Friday cryptic crossword from the Times (a notoriously hard one), explaining how he analyses the wordplay as he goes, in the gentlest, most methodical way imaginable.

Simply delightful. He and Mark also do a lot of arcane SuDoku videos which you should absolutely check out.

Oh, and 4 Across may contain something of relevance to a certain corner of the ASOIAF theory community. ;)

Edited by Sandy Clegg

• 3 weeks later...

Wherever whores go …

It’s one of the most pondered questions in the ASOIAF community. Where do whores go? Tyrion’s oft-repeated mantra in ADWD,  from his fathers last words. So, could puns/wordplay be our friends in solving this riddle? Let’s give it a go.

As a question, we should examine the possibility of double meanings lying within it first.

• Wherever - nothing to be found here.
  • Whores - possibly a reference to hoarfrost or House Hoare? But still doesn’t lead me anywhere.
  • Go - a humble word with a hundred meanings. And here we may have the lynchpin. 

If we cast our minds into the gutter, linguistically speaking, I think we have a likely solution. The big clue being the site at which Tywin meets his end. 

On the privy.

One euphemism for taking a pee/shit is needing to ‘go’. If you can’t go, you can’t go. It happens. If you’re camping, you might go in the bushes.

So ‘go’ is a toilet-usage verb. All good dictionaries will confirm this, for you non-native English speakers out there.

Now, amongst US speakers, there happens to be a very famous euphemism for toilet which is of course: ‘JOHN’  as in:

“Uh oh I really gotta go. Where’s the john?”

This brings us neatly back to ‘whores’ as another famous US meaning of ‘John’ is a client of sex workers. Without johns, they would have no business. 

So … if one were to make a pun about where sex workers might ‘go’ when they need to pee, the answer might very well be:

the john. 

All of which naturally begs the question: how is Jon Snow wrapped up in this riddle? To that, I have no answer yet. But I’m working on it!

Edited by Sandy Clegg

• 1 month later...

As I leaf through some previously chilly dormant parts of series I’ve found some words hotly at play in the text. There’s a cold burning relationship between Sap and Fire that feverishly and persistently exists. Separately, they are both cool metaphorical terms for warm blood and have a frigid  association with eyes. The cold brooding weeping red eyes of the arid heart-trees were seemingly dripping (but now are frozen) with tears of bloody sap. Frozen sap seems to be another way of saying frozen fire. When we look at the eyes of Ser Waymar Royce the blood, seemingly red as fire, from his wounded left eye is bleeding because of a shard of frozen fire while the left eye is juxtaposed with a sapphire (sap+fire) in front of it. It appears the two words, sap and fire, have come together to forge a description of the juxtaposed pupil burning blue in front of Waymar’s right eye (Sap + (ph)Fire = sapphire). Another interesting note is that the frozen sap in the eyes of the heart-tree looks like rubies. Rubies and sapphire are nearly the same on a molecular level.

We, as avid rereaders ASOIAF, understand that the icy eyes can be steamy hints to bloodlines. And that molten bloodlines provide an icy undercurrent to the whole series. And with a little research we learn that sapphires are the Yin to the Yang of the rubies. They are two aspects of a greater whole.

Symeon Star-eyes and Aemond Targaryen both have have eyes replaced with sapphires.

Symeon Star-eyes, a legendary figure from the Age of Heroes, is said to have sapphires for eyes and once saw fiery hellhounds fighting while visiting the snowy Nightfort. And the cold blooded Aemond Targaryen, also has one sapphire adorning his other good eye. He is a member of House Targaryen and his sigil is the a three-headed dragon breathing flames, red on black.

And the sticky hands and cheek of sap belonging to the first POV character of the series, Will, up a tree looking for a fire also seems to combine, perhaps in his subconscious, both elements of “Sap” and “Fire”.

Edited by Nadden

• 1 month later...

The one-armed man walked at the head of the procession, limping heavily. His name, he said, was Adrack Humble, and he had a rock wife and three salt wives back on Great Wyk. "Three of the four had big bellies when we sailed," he boasted, "and Humbles run to twins. First thing I'll need to do when I get back is count up my new sons. Might be I'll even name one after you, m'lord."

- REEK II, ADWD

My 'most' tinfoil wordplay entry yet (and that's saying something), but here goes.

Say Adrack Humble out loud a few times and it eventually sounds like ...  'A DRAGON BALL'

or ...

A DANCE WITH DRAGONS

Did George just manage to pun the goddam title of the book into the name a minor character?

Edited by Sandy Clegg

• 2 weeks later...

Pycelle was not a word I was expecting to crop up in this thread, but I came across this possible inspiration for his name earlier today in Chambers:

pucelle /pū-selˈ/ (obsolete) 

noun

1. A maid or virginesp (with cap) the Maid of Orleans, Joan of Arc (1412–31)
  2. A slut (also  as 'puzzle')

Pycelle is clearly one of the biggest sluts in King's Landing. How can this not be related? :D

Actually, it was the variant spelling of this as 'puzzle'  - as synonym for 'slut'  - that struck me as odd. Possibly nothing ASOIAF related to be gleaned from this, but an interesting tidbit nonetheless for all you word nuts.

19 hours ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Pycelle is clearly one of the biggest sluts in King's Landing. How can this not be related?

Actually, it was the variant spelling of this as 'puzzle'  - as synonym for 'slut'  - that struck me as odd. 

A character who personifies a puzzle would be of interest. It may be too much of a stretch to link "Pycelle" to "puzzle," but it could be a match. Pycelle sleeps with young women, but I don't think of him as a stand-out in the slut department, compared with other characters in ASOIAF. 

I am more inclined to link "Pycelle" to "sky cell," the place where Tyrion had his symbolic death at the Eyrie. 

I think he also offers us a major clue to the pie symbolism: Westeros has a wedding feast tradition of cutting open a giant pie to release live birds. Are those birds in a sort of "pie cell" before they are released? What does it mean that the Little Birds working for Varys end up killing Pycelle and Kevan?

Fairly early in AGoT, Littlefinger told Cat and Ned that Varys wouldn't like it if the pie was opened and the birds began to sing. Perhaps he meant that Varys wanted to choose the time and setting for "opening the pie." He does so at the end of ADwD. 

Sweetrobin wants to see the little man fly at the Eyrie. Is Tyrion's release from the sky cells equivalent to the release of birds from a wedding pie? Is Pycelle's death also part of this bundle of symbols?

• 1 month later...

Your Grace's cup / coup de grace

Lord Mace Tyrell came forward to present his gift: a golden chalice three feet tall, with two ornate curved handles and seven faces glittering with gemstones. "Seven faces for Your Grace's seven kingdoms," the bride's father explained. He showed them how each face bore the sigil of one of the great houses: ruby lion, emerald rose, onyx stag, silver trout, blue jade falcon, opal sun, and pearl direwolf.

"A splendid cup," said Joffrey, "but we'll need to chip the wolf off and put a squid in its place, I think."

Sansa pretended that she had not heard.

ASoS, Sansa IV

Was Mace Tyrell delivering the coup de grace when he gave Joffrey the cup of grace? 

On 7/19/2023 at 2:23 AM, Sandy Clegg said:

Pycelle was not a word I was expecting to crop up in this thread, but I came across this possible inspiration for his name earlier today in Chambers:

pucelle /pū-selˈ/ (obsolete) 

noun

1. A maid or virginesp (with cap) the Maid of Orleans, Joan of Arc (1412–31)
  2. A slut (also  as 'puzzle')

Pycelle is clearly one of the biggest sluts in King's Landing. How can this not be related? :D

Actually, it was the variant spelling of this as 'puzzle'  - as synonym for 'slut'  - that struck me as odd. Possibly nothing ASOIAF related to be gleaned from this, but an interesting tidbit nonetheless for all you word nuts.

Another possible variant of Pycelle is Pisel.  Which apparently is a occupational name in South Germany for a "pea grower".  From the High German word bise or pise for pea, and the Latin word for pea, pisum.  In Italian perhaps you've heard of Piselli Pasta?  Pasta with peas.  

The reason I bring this up is some of the other associations with peas from Lannister associated characters.

Podrick Payne is the first that comes to mind.  Then we have Gregor Clegane, who shares the first name with another "pea grower", Gregor Mendels.  He of the Mendellian genetics, of which GRRM uses in his first major mystery of the series.

Then we have this exchange with Tyrion and Sansa:

They supped alone, as they did so often.

"The pease are overcooked," his wife ventured once.

"No matter," he said.  "So is the mutton."

It was a jest, but Sansa took it for criticism.  "I am sorry, my lord."

"Why?  Some cook should be sorry.  Not you.  The pease are not your province, Sansa."

"The pease suffice," he told her curtly.  "They are green and round, what more can one expect of pease?  Here, I'll have another serving, if it please my lady."  He beckoned, and Podrick Payne spooned so many pease onto his plate that Tyrion lost sight of his mutton.  That was stupid, he told himself.  Now I have to eat them all, or she'll be sorry all over again.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:05 PM, Frey family reunion said:

The reason I bring this up is some of the other associations with peas from Lannister associated characters.

Podrick Payne is the first that comes to mind

I must admit to not having thought much about peas (or to keep inline with GRRM - pease), but now you mention it, Podrick seems the perfect character to have a pea association or to be spooning out heaps of peas. Peas do come in pods. 

The idiom "as alike as two peas" also comes to mind - another association with Lannisters, i.e. Cersei and Jamie. 

Heavy fog is also a "pea souper" or is said to be as "thick as pea soup." Ser Wynton Stout, a brother of the NW is said to have almost drowned in a bowl of pea soup. 

Pease and peace is another possiblity. Tyrion telling Sansa that pease are not her province may indicate that we may see a more ruthless Sansa in future. 

Dolorous Edd / Odorous Edd

Tollet / Toilet is a staple but have we had Dolorous / Odorous? Odorous compliments Toilet quite beautifully. Odorous is usually used to indicate an unpleasant smell. 

Of note: first Edd and later Satin serve as Jon's stewards. This means Jon has both a "stinky steward" (Edd) and a "fragrant steward" in Satin (Satin combs perfume into his beard and was brought up as a whore in Oldtown. Such boys also known as "perfumed boys"). 

2 hours ago, Evolett said:

This means Jon has both a "stinky steward" (Edd) and a "fragrant steward" in Satin (Satin combs perfume into his beard and was brought up as a whore in Oldtown. Such boys also known as "perfumed boys"). 

And Jon himself was also a steward - Mormont's own personal one in fact. I think with Satin replacing Edd as Jon's steward GRRM may be drawing some parallels to Jon. Edd can be seen, like Jon, as a symbolic privy. He's often associated with piss, etc and there's this quote:

Some dogs crawled atop me during the night. My cloak was almost dry when one of them pissed in it. Or perhaps it was Brown Bernarr. Have you noticed that the rain stopped the instant I had a roof above me? It will start again now that I'm back out. Gods and dogs alike delight to piss on me." - ACOK, Jon III

Where Edd is more down-to-Earth, Satin is more the 'perfumed boy' as Evolett says, from a brothel. Jon may lie somewhere in-between. The three of them make a confluence of stewards, if you will, with 'stinky Edd' replaced by the sweet-scented Satin. Possibly foreshadowing of Jon's arc?

28 minutes ago, Sandy Clegg said:

Where Edd is more down-to-Earth, Satin is more the 'perfumed boy' as Evolett says, from a brothel. Jon may lie somewhere in-between. The three of them make a confluence of stewards, if you will, with 'stinky Edd' replaced by the sweet-scented Satin. Possibly foreshadowing of Jon's arc?

Actually, I  think the combination of the stewards Edd and Satin discloses that Jon is both "stinky" and "fragrant" and that this is super relevant to his role in the end game. There are more clues. Arya who along with Jon is most like Ned gets a direct "stinky-sweet" reference for instance.

Lady Smallwood’s maidservants scrubbed her so hard it felt like they were flaying her themselves. They even dumped in some stinky-sweet stuff that smelled like flowers.

Edited by Evolett

17 hours ago, Evolett said:

Pease and peace is another possiblity.

I suspect this is a deliberate wordplay pair. This is one of those complicated strings of wordplay that is reviled by people who don't believe that there is a literary subtext in the books, but I'll lay it out anyway.

In Catelyn's first POV, she refers to the humus in the Winterfell gods wood. (First POVs are important.)

Humus is the layer of rotting leaves that forms on the ground, nourishing the soil so that seeds can grow and roots can suck up nourishment. She says that the 1000 years of leaves swallow her foot steps, I believe, which is one of those interesting phrases that allude to deeper meaning. 

So humus and hummus seem like an obvious wordplay pair, except there is no hummus in the books. There are, however, peas. Hummus is made by pureeing chick peas, so I think GRRM used the generic peas instead of chick peas (although the chicken motif might allude back to the hummus / humus wordplay, too). 

What is another way of saying pureed peas? If you use a blender, they are whirled peas. And this brings us to the pun about world peace. Using a chain of wordplay, we might infer that the 1000 years of fallen leaves in the Winterfell gods wood represent world peace. 

Catelyn's encounter with humus is the reason I finally settled on the fertility cycle of the earth as the core metaphor around which the books are structured. Only death can pay for life: the leaves fall to nourish the soil to allow the next generation to grow. Once you recognize this theme, it's everywhere in the books. 

So, yes, Pod is absolutely part of the fertility cycle - he may represent the seed that will grow to replace Ser Ilyn Payne, who seems to be pretty elderly. I love that scene where he serves peas to Tyrion, who feels obligated to eat them. I suspect Tyrion is symbolic of the continent of Westeros. Ingesting (planting) peas is a way of saying that peace is on the way, but it may take awhile. I believe the pea-eating scene could not happen until Sansa and Tyrion were married and sitting down together. It's also significant that Pod later seeks Tyrion by joining up with Brienne, who is look for Sansa. That marriage is important to world peace.

And, yes, it is also significant that Tyrion pees a lot. Perhaps this is his way of spreading peas / pees / peace throughout the land.

But we see a lot of seeds: Jon Snow has an inner circle pal named Pyp. A pip is a name for an apple seed. (Probably also wordplay on pup.) When Davos eats an apple, the apple vendor asks to have the seeds back. I think that references to pits - such as the Dragon Pit or the Fighting Pit - are also references to fruit pits that can grow to new life as part of the fertility cycle. Littlefinger tries to get Sansa to eat a pomegranate seed that, iirc, he removed from the fruit on the tip of his knife.

I thought I had written this up in other places, but apparently I made only a passing reference to the larger motif. So I'm glad this got brought up here. It's central to the books.

A little wordplay...

Crying is a synonym for weeping. And recall what Will said about the Wall when Waymar asked him about it? 

"Weeping," Will said, frowning. He saw it clear enough, now that the lordling had pointed it out. "They couldn't have froze. Not if the Wall was weeping. It wasn't cold enough."

Now here’s the wordplay…

"Crying," Will said, frowning. He saw it clear enough, now that the lordling had pointed it out. "They couldn't have froze. Not if the Wall wa[s crying]. It wasn't cold enough."

[Scryingtries to discover hidden knowledge or future events, especially by means of a black mirror, water, or crystal ball.

Black mirror, like the “Great Rock” [obsidian or frozen fire]. 

Who was scrying in the “Great Rock” doesn’t really fit in this thread; but I was excited to share the wordplay.

Edited by Nadden

20 hours ago, Seams said:

What is another way of saying pureed peas? If you use a blender, they are whirled peas. And this brings us to the pun about world peace. Using a chain of wordplay, we might infer that the 1000 years of fallen leaves in the Winterfell gods wood represent world peace. 

Pease pudding or pease porridge both mean the 'yellow, hummus-like food' made from pease.

On 9/16/2023 at 8:44 PM, Evolett said:

Pease and peace is another possiblity. Tyrion telling Sansa that pease are not her province may indicate that we may see a more ruthless Sansa in future. 

Another word for pease pudding/porridge is dogsbody:

dog'sˈ-body noun 

1. Pease pudding
  2. A dish of biscuit, water and sugar

As Sansa has lost her 'dog body' (Lady) we could say that warging and skinchanging are also not her province. Could be intentional by George?

Edited by Sandy Clegg