Puns and Wordplay

Seams

Just / Stooge

A current discussion of the Blackwood / Bracken feud included a mention of Benedict I Justman, a bastard descendant of both Houses who became King of the Trident and briefly maintained peace between the rival families. I agreed that Justman might be a very helpful clue in sorting out the Blackwood / Bracken feud, but also in finding the lost "Just" portion of the sword "Ice." 

In exploring the wiki details about the Brackens, I was reminded that three Bracken men-at-arms are instrumental in responding to Catelyn's command that her father's bannermen help her to arrest Tyrion at the inn at the crossroads. Those bannermen are clearly intended to allude to the Three Stooges, a literary hint that enjoyed but never fully understood. 

Until I just now realized that "stooge" is probably wordplay on "just" - except scrambled and misspelled. Instead of a move toward justice, Catelyn taking Tyrion prisoner is a stooge move. 

Kurleket and Mohor are killed in the first skirmish with the mountain clans; Lharys dies in the second clash. We know that the mountain clans will eventually ally with Tyrion. Does that mean that Tyrion has justice on his side? Or that his cause is just?

14 hours ago, Seams said:

Does that mean that Tyrion has had justice on his side? Or that his cause is just?

He was innocent in that context after all, all LF's doing. Subsequent actions are questionable and depends on the reader's perspective of how far they're willing to relax their modern moral outlook (with due consideration for the medieval setting ofc).

• 1 month later...

The pasty-faced youth, the Alchemist wearing Pate the pig boy's face:

“There’s an empty sleeping cell under mine in the west tower, with steps that lead right up to Walgrave’s chambers,” said the pasty-faced youth.

Pasty. I never noticed  that before. A pasty is baked pastry filled with meat or vegetables. A "Hot Pie" reference I bet.  So the Alchemist is associated with hot pies. And the Alchemists' Guild are pyromancers who make wildfire. And presumably "pyres." Lol. Damn it. Of course. Bakers bake their pies in hot ovens powered by fire. The faceless men did turn Old Valyria into a "Hot Pie." 

50 minutes ago, Evolett said:

The pasty-faced youth, the Alchemist wearing Pate the pig boy's face:

“There’s an empty sleeping cell under mine in the west tower, with steps that lead right up to Walgrave’s chambers,” said the pasty-faced youth.

Pasty. I never noticed  that before. A pasty is baked pastry filled with meat or vegetables. A "Hot Pie" reference I bet.  So the Alchemist is associated with hot pies. And the Alchemists' Guild are pyromancers who make wildfire. And presumably "pyres." Lol. Damn it. Of course. Bakers bake their pies in hot ovens powered by fire. The faceless men did turn Old Valyria into a "Hot Pie." 

Could it also be linked to patsy? Pate as the alchemist's patsy? Apologies if someone has mentioned this before.

38 minutes ago, Craving Peaches said:

Could it also be linked to patsy? Pate as the alchemist's patsy?

Sure, since Pate the pig boy was deceived by the Alchemist. The fictional Pate the pig boy was a good-hearted, empty-headed fool who nevertheless always ended up the hero. Sam, also dubbed "Lady Piggy" shares the pig association with Pate. He's also much smarter than Pate and I suspect "replaces" Pate. Pate the empty-headed pig boy replaced by Sam the hero so to speak. And I think Sam won't be fooled by Pate the Alchemist that easily.