Bladerunner 2

Fez

Judging from the trailer I think they've done a great job of recapturing the visuals of the original. I like what we see of Gosling and Ford in this as well. I think the big remaining question is still the story itself, I like that the trailer doesn't give away too much about it, but we'll have to wait to see how good it is.

• 2 months later...

I feel like this trailer showed a bit too much, and it looks like this one will be more of an action movie than the original. But that is not surprising. It still looks amazing, I just hope the story will match the visuals.

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Watched the Red Letter Media video where they discuss Blade Runner, and its made me genuinely terrified for how this sequel is going to turn out. It doesn't feel like Ridley Scott actually has a good grasp of why the original movie was any good.

What does that have to do with anything? Scott didn't write or direct the new one.

On 7/18/2017 at 10:21 AM, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Watched the Red Letter Media video where they discuss Blade Runner, and its made me genuinely terrified for how this sequel is going to turn out. It doesn't feel like Ridley Scott actually has a good grasp of why the original movie was any good.

Actually I feel it's all looked fairly good so far. And with Villeneuve in charge we are in capable hands.

Looking forward to this one.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody watched the 3 shorts released in recent weeks? Each one takes place in a different year, between the 2 movies.

2036: Nexus Dawn - features

2048: Nowhere to Run

Blackout 2022 - this one is anime

Also, early reviews are very positive for the film, so my excitement has grown.

need to watch the shorts. I was aware of the anime but not the other two.

It'll probably be the week after before I see the film as I'm in Berlin next weekend. Should give me enough time for general reviews to drop and warn me if it's a stinker.

25 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Has anybody watched the 3 shorts released in recent weeks? Each one takes place in a different year, between the 2 movies.

Thank you for posting these. Will make sure to watch them all before I watch the new film. The first two seem interesting enough. Will save the anime for later. 

9 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Thank you for posting these. Will make sure to watch them all before I watch the new film. The first two seem interesting enough. Will save the anime for later. 

The anime provides some interesting background info.

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Thanks for posting these!

The UK reviews seem to be unanimous raves.  Here in the US, the 'name' reviewers seem to think it overlong and underwhelming as this one in Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/09/29/review-blade-runner-2049-is-an-overlong-and-underwhelming-sequel/#360d51652fce

or just OK, as David Edelstein dimisses it as inferior to the first one:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/blade-runner-2049-cant-match-its-predecessor.html

also too loud (which I can well believe):

What more will Denis Villeneuve let me say? Dave Bautista has an affecting scene — it’s the movie’s first, actually — in which K comes a-calling. Barkhad Abdi has a nice bit as a vendor who can maybe help K keep ahead of the police state. People will be talking about the three-way inter-dimensional sex scene. The sound mix is very detailed and very, very loud — the metallic groans make your eardrums quiver.

I imagine most audiences will like the film, though it has nothing as striking as Hauer’s morbid majesty or the screaming-dervish demise of Daryl Hannah’s Pris. There’s nothing close to the shock of seeing Blade Runner’s Tokyo-influenced futuristic dystopia — a dismal mix of high-tech and corrosion — for the first time. I thought it was okay.

It's odd that there are such distinct differences in how these reviewers have reacted to it.

Interesting that the anime short is the one of the three that, despite the action, that carries the spiritual inquiries as to what is human, what does that mean, what does it mean to be manufactured, and what is death itself.  Presumably, then, the film itself will also inquire into what birth itself means.  These are the questions that humanity has been asking since at least the days of early homo saps in the trees and on the savannahs of Africa.  We've never been able to satisfactorily answer any of them then or now, or agree on the answers.  Can / will replicants?  This is an sf/f film with content as well as style.

I'm going to enjoy reading all you all's comments after you see it!  That will probably be a bit earlier than I'll be able to, due to work, etc.  but I'll go as soon as I can.

30 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I'm gonna stick to reading the UK reviews lmao. These negative american ones are gonna just piss me off lol 

Those three shorts are an elegant accessory to the film.  So elegant it's difficult to comprehend those USian reviewers.  Well, we'll see for ourselves.  (I found Hillary's What Happened, while reading it myself, a very different thing indeed from the reviewers' snarky scolding of her and her effort to make sense of it all for us and herself.)

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

The UK reviews seem to be unanimous raves.  Here in the US, the 'name' reviewers seem to think it overlong and underwhelming as this one in Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/09/29/review-blade-runner-2049-is-an-overlong-and-underwhelming-sequel/#360d51652fce

or just OK, as David Edelstein dimisses it as inferior to the first one:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/09/blade-runner-2049-cant-match-its-predecessor.html

Don't know about Edelstein, but I've never put muck stock into Mendelson from Forbes. He is better at judging the monetary aspects of a film, than the quality of the story.

Archived