TitanCon status update - plus competition to WIN tickets to special cinema screening of "Hardhome" in London on Mon 14 March!

Apologies for the long radio silence. Here is a status update on what's going on with TitanCon and see below for a competition we are running to WIN tickets to a special screening of "Hardhome" in London on Monday 14 March courtesy of HBO UK.

TitanCon status update

I'm sure many of you are wondering what's going on with TitanCon? Why haven't we heard anything from Phil? Will there be a TitanCon 2016? Unfortunately the answer to the last question is - I don't know. Let me explain.

The situation is that I am currently out of work and without that financial security in place we cannot go forward with our plans for 2016. I am looking and trying hard to find a new job but it has proved harder than I thought it would. I've got a lot of applications out there, many of which have not even reached the closing date yet so I am hoping that something comes through for me very soon.

TitanCon 2015

If I can secure a position within the next 5 or 6 weeks then we can still go ahead with TitanCon 2016. From our point of view we can actually put the convention together in a fairly short amount of time. The most important thing is that you guys have enough notice so that you can arrange to be there and that's the limiting factor. Our venue booking is pencilled in for the weekend of 5-7 August 2016. That's the weekend we would like to run this year. The reason for bringing it forward a month is to better fit in with the Game of Thrones filming schedule to avoid the times when they are filming in Spain, Croatia or wherever else in the world they may be filming. This period in early August is when the entire cast is in Belfast for script readings and costume fittings and we believe this offers us a better chance of securing the availability of guests. No promises that it will, but we would like the opportunity to try. I'm also not guaranteeing that the August date is definite, we may still need to put it back to September just to give everyone a bit more time, we'll have to wait and see.

I am sorry that I can't be more definite about what's going on but I hope you will understand that my personal situation has to come first and I need to be in a stable position before we can move forward. By the way if anyone out there is in need of a website designer or developer I am available for hire, please see my portfolio for more details.

I will keep you all updated on my situation and we will be ready to go just as soon as I get some good news. Thank you for your patience.

Phil Lowles
Friday 19 February 2016

WIN a pair of tickets to a special screening of "Hardhome" in London on Mon 14 Mar!

To celebrate the release of the Game of Thrones Season 5 Blu-Ray / DVD on Monday 14 March 2016, HBO UK have kindly offered TitanCon the opportunity to run a competition for you guys to win a pair of tickets to an EPIC screening of "Hardhome" on the Impact Screen with full Dolby Atmos at the Empire Cinema, Leicester Square, London, on Monday 14 March 2016. We have five pairs of tickets to attend this one off special screening of one of the most incredible action set pieces in television history in all its cinematic glory.

The Night's King at Hardhome
The Night's King at Hardhome. © HBO 2015.

Doors open at 6.15 pm for a 7.00 pm screening. There will also be a Q & A session with Special Guests to be announced. I don't know who is going to be there or whether you'll have a chance to meet any of the special guests other than by asking a question, so winners should think up some good questions to ask in advance!

To enter the competition simply fill in the entry form and answer the following question:

Q. Which weapon does Jon Snow use to kill a White Walker in the episode "Hardhome"?

A. Longclaw
B. Widow's Wail
C. Oathbreaker
D. A sharp pointy stick
E. Sarcasm

The competition closes at 5.00 pm on Friday 4 March with a draw to take place later that evening. We will notify winners via email as soon as possible after the draw and you'll have till Sunday evening to confirm your attendance and the name of your +1. The first five correct entries picked at random will be the winners. The judges' decision is final. No cash alternative is available. Tickets are non-transferable. Good luck!

Please see our Competition page for more details and to enter for your chance to win!

I'm not sure how, but I've only just seen this. You need to update the TitanCon Facebook page and tag people Phil!

We'll have a look round and see what can be done. Would some sort of extra funding campaign be helpful?

I'm not on Facebook and refuse to have anything to do with it. The TitanCon Facebook page is actually run by someone else. I have been Tweeting the announcements though.

I don't think a funding campaign is the answer. The people who would contribute to it are the same people who would come to TitanCon anyway. I know a lot of people are ready and willing to help but we'd need something much more solid in place before we could consider moving forward with plans for 2016. The only real solution is for me to get a new job. Otherwise I won't even have the money to get myself over to Belfast to run the convention. I am getting a lot of interest and its only a matter of time until something works out for me. Fingers crossed it is sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, theMountainGoat said:

I'm not on Facebook and refuse to have anything to do with it. The TitanCon Facebook page is actually run by someone else. I have been Tweeting the announcements though.

I don't think a funding campaign is the answer. The people who would contribute to it are the same people who would come to TitanCon anyway. I know a lot of people are ready and willing to help but we'd need something much more solid in place before we could consider moving forward with plans for 2016. The only real solution is for me to get a new job. Otherwise I won't even have the money to get myself over to Belfast to run the convention. I am getting a lot of interest and its only a matter of time until something works out for me. Fingers crossed it is sooner rather than later.

Will keep all digits and other floppy bits crossed for you, Phil. Very best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived