Umberto Eco RIP

Ouroboros

On 20 février 2016 at 2:54 AM, sologdin said:

i give up. fuck this year.

My thoughts exactly.

Time for me to put Baudolino on my "to-read" list for this year, and stop delaying because I already have a crap-ton of books waiting...

As for Foucault's Pendulum, Eco said that Dan Brown actually seems to be one of his characters came to life - fully believing the lunacy his own mind has created. It's a specially satisfying reading when you have some knowledge/awareness of all the various conspiracies - even if the first third is quite a bore, some kind of a very slow plodding setup before things get serious.

I have had a copy of The Name of the Rose for a while now but haven't come around to it yet. I'll have to remedy that. Has anyone read The Prague Cemetery, and if so, what did you think? Goodreads isn't Gospel, but it only has 3.3 stars there. The story sounded interesting.

I have only read Rose and Pendulum but except maybe for Baudolino (which I am now planning to read soon) I think the reviews (professional, not Goodreads' semi-literate teenagers) became more and more mixed/controversial with each new book. The Name of the Rose is also fairly straightforward (for Eco) and the erudition fits the setting, so I do not think you can really go wrong if you start with that one.

13 hours ago, Astromech said:

I have had a copy of The Name of the Rose for a while now but haven't come around to it yet. I'll have to remedy that. Has anyone read The Prague Cemetery, and if so, what did you think? Goodreads isn't Gospel, but it only has 3.3 stars there. The story sounded interesting.

I reviewed it back in 2011.  I engaged the work (I hesitate to say "enjoyed," as that would be odd, considering the subject matter) and found it to be of a fairly high quality.  It wasn't FP redux, but it was good nonetheless.

6 hours ago, Larry. said:

I reviewed it back in 2011.  I engaged the work (I hesitate to say "enjoyed," as that would be odd, considering the subject matter) and found it to be of a fairly high quality.  It wasn't FP redux, but it was good nonetheless.

Thanks Larry. That was very informative. I will try it out after The Name of the Rose.

Amongst his later works The Prague cemetery emerges as a really great novel. Entertaining and sick at the same time, with a schizophrenic, evil, cruel, sociopathic, antisemitic, racist, chauvinist, women-hating, asexual and treacherous main character as the narrator- who catches the readers' imagination just even more because of all that :-) I suggest it to everyone who wants to read some post-pendulum Eco.

Like 10 years ago I actually woke up in the middle of the night and The Name of the Rose was on HBO.  Which led me to reading the book.  Pretty awesome book (I like the movie too).  Such a strong sense of place.  This is one of the few books I really want to re-read.

I also read The Island of the Day Before.  I was bored and confused by the end of this.  Eco was a little (lot) too smart for me.  Foccault's Pendulum has been on my TBR pile for a long time.

RIP

• 1 year later...

John Turturro to Play Monk William of Baskerville in ‘Name of The Rose’ TV Adaptation (EXCLUSIVE)

CANNES — John Turturro will play William of Baskerville, the 14th century Franciscan monk who investigates a series of grisly murders in the high-end TV adaptation of Umberto Eco’s bestseller “The Name of The Rose,” set to start shooting in January at Rome’s Cinecittà Studios.

Rupert Everett has been cast as the monk’s antagonist, Inquisitor Bernard Gui. Rising young German actor Damien Hardung (“The Red Band Society”) has landed a key role as Benedictine novice Adso of Melk, William of Baskerville’s apprentice sleuth.

23 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I;ve already had to explain to three people that this isn't a remake of an old Sean Connery movie. Yes, its based on a book.

I really enjoyed the book. As for the movie, well,  Sean Connery.  A mini series is what is needed to really bring it to life. Yeah, I am starting to dribble a bit too.

Archived