Bakker XLIII - the prattle of unnumbered years

sologdin

18 minutes ago, Lord Patrek said:

Heard back from the folks at Overlook Press and the July pub date is still a go.

Patrick

Great news.  We kind of felt that was the case when Scott said he was working on the edits, but it's good to hear this from them.

On 2016-04-03 at 9:28 PM, Lord Patrek said:

Hey guys,

Scott has been quite unresponsive for the last few months, so I have no idea what's going on. Hopefully it doesn't mean additional delays for the book. Usually, Scott sends me a file of the last copy edit as an early read. But I have yet to see said file and I should have received it by now. Unless splitting the novel in two is screwing up the editing more than they expected.

Tried contacting the folks at Overlook to see what's going on. Will keep you posted if they get back to me. . .

Cheers,

Patrick

3 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Heard back from the folks at Overlook Press and the July pub date is still a go.

Patrick

Thanks, as always, for all that you do, Pat.

I really hope that you get to do a read before TGO is released. I love your reviews.

Five years ago I didn't have a smart phone, I didn't have a kindle I didn't have an iPad. The idea of also buying the ebook didn't occur to me. Reading dance with dragons was part of the reason I got a kindle a few months later, it was just an uncomfortable experience and made me break up the reading to the point that it took me more than a week to finish it.

five years ago I had to drive to the Barnes and noble nearest work that opened at 9, buy dance with dragons and then get to work a few minutes late and then have the book taunt me most of the day.

today I'd probably download the ebook at midnight (are they released timeline by time zone or can I download at 9 pm because that is east coast midnight ?) read until my eyes hate me, get almost no sleep, read on my iPad while I eat breakfast, read on my phone discreetly at work, read on my kindle in bed when I get home, and a few days later when Amazon delivers it, also read the dead tree version of the book.

it is interesting how different reading is now, and how it's not so much that ebooks are successful but that an ebook seamlessly migrates from device to device throughout a day, something I never really imagined being so thoughtless five years ago even if it was available or discussed as possible at the time.

also, five years ago I started a thread asking if any book stores in the country would follow the Harry Potter model and release dance with dragons at midnight. I was roundly scoffed at and told that even though the show was a success and the series was more popular than ever, that a midnight release would never be conceivable for a song of ice and fire. If George ever finishes and publishes winds of winter, I imagine that will be proven wrong, but I do wonder how ebooks will be handled for a global simultaneous book release? If it had been published before the upcoming season I imagine it would have been a nightmarish logistical problem, once the show has finished the story I doubt anyone would care about how spoilers are handled by the first time zone that can download an ebook and skip to the end and post to reddit and buzzfeed and Facebook the ending.  Harry Potter didn't have to worry about this much there was no simultaneous ebooks, and Internet spoiling meant you had to be at a desktop or laptop computer and tear yourself away from your book--no one was reading deathly hallows on their phone then flicking over to Facebook when a new notification popped up or scrolled across the top of their screen.

it is amazing how much has changed in five years.

On 3/4/2016 at 2:15 PM, Werthead said:

Yes and no. Apparently the combined word count of the book is about 300,000 words (around the same length as A Game of Thrones) but the massive glossary takes it up a lot more. For a larger publisher releasing a new volume in a bestselling series, that would be fine. For a small publisher like Overlook releasing a book in a modest-selling series, it's much more of a risk which they mitigate by splitting the book in half. The other option on the table was not to include the appendix, but Bakker was apparently keen on it getting in there.

There is more to it than that, I think. If it was just a question of splitting the book in two and adding the glossary, they would have been done with the editing process before the Holidays.

The fact that I never got that final copy edit file means that there was a lot more to the process than Bakker and his editor expected. Advance reading copies won't be ready for a few weeks, which means that the final text is not ready yet. It could just be the author nitpicking and making sure that everything is perfect.

But based on our correspondence of the last few months, he often appeared quite perplexed with everything. So I'm not sure what's going on and it appears that he doesn't know, either. . . :/

Patrick

I'd like to state for the record that I do not think Moenghus is behind it all.

I think Moenghus is dunyain. The text explicitly tells us he is dunyain in the confrontation with Kellhus at the end of the Thousandfold Thought.

From this, I extrapolate that Moenghus is a loyal dunyain agent, acting out a larger dunyain plan, possibly under active dunyain management, of which TTT's role, Moenghus' role and Kellhus' role are all merely pieces and parts of a larger and unseen orchestration.

If the Dunyain are aware of the world and have place Moenghus as an agent actively operating in the world they will have been able to foresee much of Kellhus' journey.

I do not think kellhus is dunyain. The text explicitly tells us he is not dunyain in the confrontation with Moenghus at the end of The Thousandfold Thought.

From this, I extrapolate that Kellhus is unaware of larger dunyain machinations and possibly ignorant of aspects of the dunyain of which Moenghus is aware, although Moenghus' use as a field agent would be compromised if he were too well informed of operations.

I think Kellhus is deliberately bred for and crafted--like a Kwitsatz Haderach--to play a disruptive role akin to the Mule within the world and within the dunyain's own plan, and that Moenghus is probably or possibly unaware of this function. Moenghus is deliberately bred for and crafted to play a preparing-of-the-way role akin to John-the-Baptist. 

And Kellhus' absolute CERTAINTY in his own autonomy is probably crucial for the success of whatever project the dunyain are attempting to execute.

Seswatha, Celmomas, Titirga, Mekeritrig, all possibly involved, no textual evidence to implicate any of them or yield a strong conclusion, but I feel like the False Sun's introduction of Titirga could possibly be part of a larger "set up" of a reveal of the millenia long orchestrations leading to Kellhus' Great Ordeal.

Well it's a very interesting theory. And it is certainly possible. It would connect with any sentiments about Kellhus not being the the Anasurimbor the prophecy speaks of, that maybe he is not as special as he thinks he is. 

However I am not sure. This can go so many ways. I do not think Kellhus is eventually just a Dunyain pawn. It doesn't feel quite right to me.

8 hours ago, sologdin said:

my numbnut theory:  inchies gave the logos to the dunyain.  that'd be awesome. dunyain as inchie pawn! awesomer!

So the inches have the neographism the no god, aka an anthropomorphic personification of the  "God of negative theology," and they gave the logos to the dunyain as a deliberate double bind?

possibly inchoroi proliferate double binds throughout the text of the world earwa as a deliberate aberrant reinscription in order to generate a symploke to precede said double binds? ... That which precedes everything.

from wiki, so it is true:

Derrida's neographism (rather than neologism, because "neologism" would propose a logos, a metaphysical category, and more simply, because when uttered in French, "différance" is indistinguishable from "difference"- it is thus a graphical modification solely, having nothing to do with a spoken "logos") is, of course, not just an attempt at linguistics or to discuss written texts and how they are read. It is, most importantly, an attempt to escape the history of metaphysics; a history that has always prioritised certain concepts, e.g., those of substance, essence, soul, spirit (idealism), matter (realism), becoming, freedom, sense-experience, language, science etc. All such ideas imply self-presence and totality. Différance, instead, focuses on the play of presence and absence, and, in effecting a concentration of certain thinking

Archived