Bakker XLIII - the prattle of unnumbered years

sologdin

15 hours ago, Jussi said:

I wonder if this means that the Overlook version will be delayed as well. Previously the UK and US editions have come out together.

The Orbit blurb also says the "conclusion" to the saga but then lists a page count of 480, so the book is still split. I guess that's going to be an error.

Alternate Link, I'm not sure why Jussi's keep dropping out.

That looks to be a paperback, Wert. Perhaps Orbit isn't doing a hardcover release?

Also, interesting that the Overlook's hardcover page count recently went up by about fourteen pages, yet the Orbit paperback is thirty some-odd less pages.

EDIT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Great-Ordeal-Aspect-Emperor-Book/dp/1841498319

Don't know why the link keeps dropping out for me.

Also, amazon.co.uk has both the Overlook hardcover, which is listed July 5th still, and the Sep 29th paperback.

I don't remember the UK ever doing hardcovers for the series. It's never sold well enough (although it does okay). The only hardcovers you can get are the American/Canadian imports, unless I'm misremembering.

I got an ARC of TJE, but I got a pre-release final copy of TWLW and that's a tradeback. My new 1st UK edition of TTT is a tradeback as well.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I wonder if this means that the Overlook version will be delayed as well. Previously the UK and US editions have come out together.

No, the July date by Overlook has been confirmed multiple times  and as recent as last week or so. It is solid.

Looks like Orbit will just be later this time around. No problem for me as I like the American hardcovers.

BTW this is the correct link to the Orbit edition on Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-Ordeal-Aspect-Emperor-Book/dp/1841498319/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1460389624&sr=1-1

18 hours ago, Lord Patrek said:

Oddly enough, it appears that Penguin Books Canada won't be publishing The Great Ordeal. I can't find any info regarding a Canadian release, so right now it looks as though they've dropped Bakker. . .

Yup, that happened a good few years ago now, I think just after White Luck Warrior came out and did not do great business for them.

I'll keep saying it until the universe realigns. Bakker needs to get out from his contract with Overlook (although that may happen after the next two books anyway) and get Orbit US to take over. They'll get the books on the shelves and they'll do much better marketing. Overlook relies a lot more on its authors to do their marketing for their own books, and Bakker and actually productive marketing are about as compatible as matter and antimatter ;)

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'll keep saying it until the universe realigns. Bakker needs to get out from his contract with Overlook (although that may happen after the next two books anyway) and get Orbit US to take over.

:agree:

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

I'll keep saying it until the universe realigns. Bakker needs to get out from his contract with Overlook (although that may happen after the next two books anyway) and get Orbit US to take over. They'll get the books on the shelves and they'll do much better marketing. Overlook relies a lot more on its authors to do their marketing for their own books, and Bakker and actually productive marketing are about as compatible as matter and antimatter ;)

Adam,

What makes you think that Orbit US would be interested? Bakker is a world away (in terms of style) from what sells well for them. But yeah, I agree that most genre imprints would be an improvement.

Getting out of his contract with Overlook (if he is indeed stuck with them for the next series) would probably be too expensive for a midlist author. Unless they drop him, too. . .

Patrick

What makes you think that Orbit US would be interested?

Orbit US have a good relationship with Orbit UK, and Bakker does reasonably well for Orbit UK (far better than he does for Overlook from the look of it), so that is a reasonable move, perhaps simpler than trying to move somewhere like Tor. There is some precedent: Daniel Abraham was doing badly for Tor but okay for Orbit UK, and when Tor refused to pick up Dagger and the Coin, Orbit US got on that pretty sharpish and have done quite well with it. Orbit US have also got Parker, who really isn't a million miles away from Bakker in style (well, relatively).

The question mark would be if Bakker signed a contract for all Earwa-set books with Overlook (which seems highly unlikely) or how many books he is signed with them for. If it is only a series-by-series basis, then I see no logical reason why he would stick with them again for the final series.

Archived