What's it like where you live?

Sivin

39 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Just the thought of Ice Tea is so gross to me LOL.  *shudder* 

Your must visit the southeastern US in the summer time and be converted.  Get an old lady to make you sweet tea after you've been out in the heat and all will be revealed.

Iced Tea is so common in the US that I'm always surprised when people haven't had it.  You can get it at almost every restaurant and, from an American perspective, it's kinda like if someone had never tried a soda or tasted beer.  In the southern US it tends to be loaded with sugar (and therefore delicious), but it isn't heavily sweetened everywhere.

I think its appeal mainly a function of climate.  There are large swathes of this country where a hot beverage is not very appealing for a large part of the year.  I like hot tea a lot, but I would not want that in July in Texas.  It's about the last thing I would want.  A warm summer day in Scotland, for example, is pretty much the kind of weather we are experiencing right now in late February / early March, it is 80F/26C today and it has been in that range for weeks.  By the summer it will be punishingly hot temperatures that are rarely (or never) seen in northern Europe as a matter of daily routine for several months.  By July/August it'll be hitting 40C just about every day.  It's cooler in some regions of the US of course, but summer temps of  32+ aren't that unusual anywhere in the country.  I think this is also why a lot of the big corporate American beer brands make lagers that are largely tasteless and designed to be consumed ice cold.  Sometimes it just isn't the time or the place for a room temperature, warm, or 'thick' beverage.

Anyway, Iced Tea is definitely good if it is made right.  It's easy to make, you could probably find a good sweet tea recipe online.  I would wait for a hot day, though.  Also, best consumed on a porch of some kind.

8 hours ago, Liffguard said:

Who lets the teabag steep? You need to vigorously stir it and mash it about inside the mug, then squeeze it against the side to really get those tannins out. If you can't stand the spoon up in the mug afterwards you've done something wrong.

Those temperatures seem unbearable to me: I much prefer the cold. I'll make sure to try some iced tea as to not knock it until I try it :P

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Is iced tea the same as ice tea? I mean the kind they sell in a lot of places.

I suppose the answer to your question is "Yes" -- but it is still valuable to draw a distinction between actual iced tea and the likes of Nestea and Snapple, tea-adjacent beverages that leave a sugary film on your teeth. I like iced tea. I would not willingly drink a bottle of that crap.

I had to google Snapple. I have not seen that sold anywhere, I think. Nestea is common in Europe though. I think most of the people think of that or similar brands if you say ice tea to them. It is not common to actually make your own tea and then have it cooled before drinking.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Iced Tea is so common in the US that I'm always surprised when people haven't had it.  You can get it at almost every restaurant and, from an American perspective, it's kinda like if someone had never tried a soda or tasted beer.  In the southern US it tends to be loaded with sugar (and therefore delicious), but it isn't heavily sweetened everywhere.

I think its appeal mainly a function of climate.  There are large swathes of this country where a hot beverage is not very appealing for a large part of the year.  I like hot tea a lot, but I would not want that in July in Texas.  It's about the last thing I would want.  A warm summer day in Scotland, for example, is pretty much the kind of weather we are experiencing right now in late February / early March, it is 80F/26C today and it has been in that range for weeks.  By the summer it will be punishingly hot temperatures that are rarely (or never) seen in northern Europe as a matter of daily routine for several months.  By July/August it'll be hitting 40C just about every day.  It's cooler in some regions of the US of course, but summer temps of  32+ aren't that unusual anywhere in the country.  I think this is also why a lot of the big corporate American beer brands make lagers that are largely tasteless and designed to be consumed ice cold.  Sometimes it just isn't the time or the place for a room temperature, warm, or 'thick' beverage.

Anyway, Iced Tea is definitely good if it is made right.  It's easy to make, you could probably find a good sweet tea recipe online.  I would wait for a hot day, though.  Also, best consumed on a porch of some kind.

Hot beverages help you cool down, too, if say you live in Arizona in the middle of the summer. Not sure if they help in hot & humid environments. But I understand why you wouldn't need one when you have the option to stay in AC-ed indoor space, and only spend a small part of the day outside. On the other hand people in the Middle-East prefer and enjoy extremely hot teas, despite the fact that many live in a desert.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Hot beverages help you cool down, too, if say you live in Arizona in the middle of the summer. Not sure if they help in hot & humid environments. But I understand why you wouldn't need one when you have the option to stay in AC-ed indoor space, and only spend a small part of the day outside. On the other hand people in the Middle-East prefer and enjoy extremely hot teas, despite the fact that many live in a desert.

I've seen people in the middle east drinking it straight from the kettle (or stove, fire whatever) and I really don't think i could do that. I'd much more enjoy a slightly above room temperature one that actually has taste instead of one scolding my throat.

Because of the hot tea, though, the throat cancer rate among middle easterns that drink tea is pretty high.

9 hours ago, S John said:

Your must visit the southeastern US in the summer time and be converted.  Get an old lady to make you sweet tea after you've been out in the heat and all will be revealed.

To be fair the UK is never hot enough to warrant such a thing but in the situation you describe I would definitely try it :)

4 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

To be fair the UK is never hot enough to warrant such a thing but in the situation you describe I would definitely try it :)

That's very true: the wind and humidity make it seem colder than it actually is. That and the rain <_<

• 1 year later...
On 22/2/2016 at 5:15 AM, WinterFox said:

What's your country like? As a citizen, as a man or a woman, as a person. Not as a billboard or an immigration site. Not as a patriot shouting from the rooftops about how you're #1! Just, what's it like to live there? Do you feel like you like your neighbors? Do you feel that your government respects you? Does your job pay you enough to live comfortably? Is the water you drink safe?

There are problems, especially economic problems, job market etc. However, I love where I live and in general I wouldn't change it. Although I would love to go back to Rome. Milan is much more well organized as a city tbh, but Rome is the city I love most and my family and best friends are there. :wub:

I live in the outskirts of Newcastle, England. Its really nice. I love Newcastle, I would never want to move away.

I live 20 minutes drive from town centre, its quiet (Deathly quiet at night), there are loads of great places to eat, drink etc.

I think places in the North have a reputation for being awful, but I just cant see it. Newcastle is a beautiful city.

1 hour ago, The Prince of Newcastle said:

I live in the outskirts of Newcastle, England. Its really nice. I love Newcastle, I would never want to move away.

I live 20 minutes drive from town centre, its quiet (Deathly quiet at night), there are loads of great places to eat, drink etc.

I think places in the North have a reputation for being awful, but I just cant see it. Newcastle is a beautiful city.

20 minutes from the city centre is miles in Newcastle terms.

The city is beautiful, and Northumberland is stunning, its the surrounding towns that are sh!te.  

Living in China:

Pros

Low cost of living, including low income tax rates

Teachers are respected

National health care system

Feel safe on any street at any hour

Good public transportation (not necessary to own a car)

Cons

Need a vpn to access the internet fully

Everywhere is crowded

Smokers utopia and litterbugs paradise

Heavy air pollution

I lived in South Africa for a while and it was great. It's super different to both the US and the UK and there were loads of pros and cons.

Pros:

- Amazing weather all year round.

- A unique perspective on culture and a chance to learn about recent history.

- Super cheap living costs.

- Some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

- The food is incredible.

Cons:

- Very limited infrastructure, especially internet. For example, I was reading about how to distrubute goods on an online store but there's absolutely no way that would fly in SA, more people just don't have access to the net.

- The crime was pretty intense and you have to be watchful pretty much all the time.

- There's a vast amount of poverty and it can be harrd to see if you're not used to it.

Archived