Telephone Pictionary XXX - Ko tenei kēmu mō te ririki (DONE - Results are up)

Turinqui-Calima

So, would the process be something like:

1. Write a sentence in English. Use Google Translate to translate it into a language you don't know. Send both English and FL versions to TC

2. Receive sentence in a mystery language. Try to figure it out and draw it.

3. Describe your picture in English. Translate your description in a new language you don't know. Send both English and FL versions to TC

Rinse and repeat until game completed.

I am more into the "Use a language you know that is not English. If you only know English, use English*, google translate, or ask a random unrelated person to translate for you into something else." version.

*By which I mean, you can send sentences in English if you so wish.

1 hour ago, Turinqui-Calima said:

Please use your interpretation of the theme and don't worry too much.

I suppose this sums it up? That is, use whatever version you think fits for the current round.

How many players do we still need?

It would be vaguely better to know whether we are *trying* to translate well, or trying to translate *badly*. Like, I know non-English languages, and can translate pretty well even into ones I don't know that well, I'd hope. But if other people are using plug-and-play into Google Translate, then the kind of sentences coming through will be really different. Basically, do I correct google translate at any stage if it's obviously wrong, or is it a case of giving description/drawing exactly as given?

Like, if someone sends me a sentence in Italian (which I speak), do I draw what it actually says, or do I put it through a previously agreed translation software package?

9 minutes ago, TitanCat said:

It would be vaguely better to know whether we are *trying* to translate well, or trying to translate *badly*. Like, I know non-English languages, and can translate pretty well even into ones I don't know that well, I'd hope.

Actually, translation into another language is very very hard and blablabla./Bucky going into too much detail about translation :P

I am not suggesting everybody translates. If you know another language, just write the original sentence in another language without starting in English. At least I am going to do that.

But if other people are using plug-and-play into Google Translate, then the kind of sentences coming through will be really different. Basically, do I correct google translate at any stage if it's obviously wrong, or is it a case of giving description/drawing exactly as given?

From the things going on in this game, you cannot know what is "obviously wrong", because ALL of the sentenes are almost always "wrong" from a logical view. :P

If you know a language you are writing in, then do not use google translate at all, just write in that language as you know.

Like, if someone sends me a sentence in Italian (which I speak), do I draw what it actually says, or do I put it through a previously agreed translation software package?

I do not think putting such a sentence though anything would make sense, I mean you understand it, you do not need anything else, right?

;)

Also, you really might be overthinking it - you can really do what you feel like each round (pssssst ... nobody will know! ;) ).

ETA: We are playing THIS GAME FOR SMALL now, according to google translate. :P

14 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

TitanCat,  stop overthinking it.    You can draw what it says if you understand it,  or if you really want you can put through a translator.  Just do what feels best at the time.

I am just going to leave this up to my partner completely :P

What a game to start playing on...

8 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Actually, translation into another language is very very hard and blablabla./Bucky going into too much detail about translation :P

I know, I'm a linguist :P (and I'd totally end up doing a ton of research into the language... I am nothing if not a control freak....)

5 minutes ago, TitanCat said:

I know, I'm a linguist :P (and I'd totally end up doing a ton of research into the language... I am nothing if not a control freak....)

Ohhhhhhh, I did not know that! *high-fives Cat* Which languages? Are you a translator?

15 hours ago, Emmit said:

Ok. Signing up, but only the first round is translated? The rest of the game is in English?

No, all rounds are translated to whatever language you feel like. For instance, I hear Swedish is a lovely language. Not that I'm biased.

ooooooohhhh the tingle is here...and i like it :leer:

i will tell her to break out the crayons....though right now she is trying to kick ass in acrophilia and i am uncertain if she can carry off more than one game at a time... :rofl:

:smoking:

Archived