A+J=T v.9

UnmaskedLurker

On 1/22/2019 at 10:54 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Since the Targs arrived at Dragonstone, though the Conquest or beyond, it does not seem that anyone who for sure had no blood tracing back to old Valaryia tried to ride a dragon. The Targs kept them and the eggs guarded. When it came to the adult dragons, it was risky when they never had been ridden before even if the attempt was made by Dragonseed or other wise. So, (will say this for Tyrion in that regard, if, if he for sure had no Valaryian/Targ blood in him at all, due to his knowledge about Dragons, he might be the one Non-Warg, to do so. All of this is speculation but I have thought since around the second novel that Jaime would be a strong candidate for a rider of a dragon. later on, Bran when he developed his gifts/curse (depends on how you look at it)

A number of non-Targaryens with no known Targaryen ancestry were given the opportunity to become dragon riders during the Dance. All of them failed.

9 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

A number of non-Targaryens with no known Targaryen ancestry were given the opportunity to become dragon riders during the Dance. All of them failed.1

Snacks.

it makes you wonder, me too, if under the right circumstances, familiarity with the creatures over time, since hatching or feeding or other constant positive contact could such a creature be ridden. I know that usually the eggs were given to the toddlers and hatchlings grew with the rider and older dragons that had riders prior were easier to mount but it was not a sure thing, even for ones with the Blood of old Valaryia. Then again, GRRM may just have it where if you had the blood or special powers, it was not, is not going to happen at all. 

2 minutes ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Snacks.

it makes you wonder, me too, if under the right circumstances, familiarity with the creatures over time, since hatching or feeding or other constant positive contact could such a creature be ridden. I know that usually the eggs were given to the toddlers and hatchlings grew with the rider and older dragons that had riders prior were easier to mount but it was not a sure thing, even for ones with the Blood of old Valaryia. Then again, GRRM may just have it where if you had the blood or special powers, it was not, is not going to happen at all. 

So far, everybody who has ridden a dragon in Targaryen era Westeros has had, or has been among those believed to have had, Targaryen ancestry. But it is definitely not a sure thing for those who have or almost certainly have Targaryen ancestry. Addam of Hull, later Velaryon, likely a bastard of Lord Corlys Velaryon, was able to mount a dragon and become a dragonrider. His full brother Alyn wasn't. Quentyn Martell, a descendant of the Daenerys who married Prince Maron Martell, was burned to death trying to mount one of the current Daenerys's dragons, though it isn't clear if the dragon he was trying to take would have taken to him had the other dragon not burned him. 

2 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

So far, everybody who has ridden a dragon in Targaryen era Westeros has had, or has been among those believed to have had, Targaryen ancestry. But it is definitely not a sure thing for those who have or almost certainly have Targaryen ancestry. Addam of Hull, later Velaryon, likely a bastard of Lord Corlys Velaryon, was able to mount a dragon and become a dragonrider. His full brother Alyn wasn't. Quentyn Martell, a descendant of the Daenerys who married Prince Maron Martell, was burned to death trying to mount one of the current Daenerys's dragons, though it isn't clear if the dragon he was trying to take would have taken to him had the other dragon not burned him. 

It is interesting to speculate. It just shows that we are so far out from the last book that we only have this to tide us over for now. It will be interesting to follow when the rest of the books come out and how it plays out with the other dragons and are there other eggs somewhere that might hatch. 

Just now, A Ghost of Someone said:

Snacks.

it makes you wonder, me too, if under the right circumstances, familiarity with the creatures over time, since hatching or feeding or other constant positive contact could such a creature be ridden.

I find it rather significant in this context, that _none_ of successful "dragonseeds" who claimed the 3 tame dragons during tha Dance had been dragon-tenders, i.e. those who had such advantage of familiarity. On the contrary, all 3 were outsiders, who had no previous contact with the dragons. Dany's handmaids also didn't build any particular connection with her hatchlings, even though they had helped her to care for them.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

I find it rather significant in this context, that _none_ of successful "dragonseeds" who claimed the 3 tame dragons during tha Dance had been dragon-tenders, i.e. those who had such advantage of familiarity. On the contrary, all 3 were outsiders, who had no previous contact with the dragons. Dany's handmaids also didn't build any particular connection with her hatchlings, even though they had helped her to care for them.

Neither did Jorah Mormont. Also from Fire and Blood, the Targaryens kept the dragons and the eggs heavily guarded, yet none of the guards or stable hands ever bonded with or rode a dragon.

4 hours ago, Maia said:

Who knows what may come of it, if anything at all

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, silverwolf22 said:

on tyrions missmatching eyes. IRL we call people and animals with such conditions chimeras. A chimera is a mythical creature with features of many animals, including the body of a lion and wings of a dragon.

@UnmaskedLurker

Yes, it's already been discussed in the OP (see miscellaneous quotes and possible clues hidden section):

Tyrion is the Sphinx; half-lion, half-dragon

Tyrion is neither a Lion nor a Dragon, he is all at once, he is the Sphinx, he is the Riddle : a monster, half-man (!), half-lion, with a serpent (dragon?) tail and (dragon?) wings. His face is even noseless, just like the famous Egypt Sphinx statue and his mismatched eyes  are those of a Chimera, another ancient monstrous creature.

Tyrion's mismatched eyes may allude to the upcoming Dance between the new blacks, who will back Daenerys, who rides Drogon, and the new greens, who will back Aegon, who will ride Rhaegal. (credit: @Lost Melnibonean)

A Dance with Dragons - Tyrion III

"You may sleep on the deck or in the hold, as you prefer. Ysilla will find bedding for you."

"How kind of her." Tyrion made a waddling bow, but at the cabin door, he turned back. "What if we should find the queen and discover that this talk of dragonswas just some sailor's drunken fancy? This wide world is full of such mad tales. Grumkins and snarks, ghosts and ghouls, mermaids, rock goblins, winged horses, winged pigs … winged lions.”

Archived