Martin confirms reading WINDS chapters at Mysticon

tallTale

5 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

This doesn't bode well for a TWOW release anytime soon.  What happened to not doing anything until Winds is delivered???

He's a GoH, these appearances are arranged long before the event takes place, sometimes years in advance. I don't think it has anything to do with TWoW. He wanted to have the book out before s 6, and he knows a lot of people wanted that, too. Also, for the past two years he's always read a new chapter before a new series of GoT airs. 

Forgive my being dense, but where does he mention the new reading. Is it in one of the comments?

eta; nevermind, found it! Worth noting he doesn't necessarily say it will be something new (yes, usual ray of sunshine here ;) )

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Forgive my being dense, but where does he mention the new reading. Is it in one of the comments?

Yes, someone asks him whether he'll read something new, and iirc, he says, "That's the plan". 

ETA- trying to remove c+p but failing. 

•  

The exact quotes are:

Enjoy the break! Are you planning on a reading from THE WINDS OF WINTER or from FIRE AND BLOOD at Mysticon?

That's the plan.

Note the lack of the word NEW. Note the ambiguity about whether this is from TWoW or from Fire and Blood.

I wouldn't even bother warming up the hype train for this.

Someone else in a previous comment asked if he'd read something 'new', so I got the wires crossed there. I still think there's a fair chance it will be something new, and from Winds. As @JonCon's Red Beard pointed out, it's become something of a tradition for him to read/release material that will reassure [his] fans and remind them that "the books are his, the TV show, D&D's". 

I'm pretty sure it will be Damphair.

At an earlier reading he gave people a choice of which one they wanted to hear and they chose the other (I think it was Barristan). But he was trying to convince the audience to pick the Damphair one because he said it contained some great info.

The Damphair chapter he wanted to read previously and probably will now no doubt contains info that matters for Euron's introduction this season.

9 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

This doesn't bode well for a TWOW release anytime soon.  What happened to not doing anything until Winds is delivered???

GRRM is the author Guest of Honor at Mysticon, which is very different than just going to a convention as an attendee. He made a promise to Mysticon; Mysticon marketed the convention based on this obligation. Only something like a major illness or a death in the immediate family just preceding the convention would be acceptable reasons to break that agreement. Again, that only applies to Guests of Honor, not regular attendees/participants of a convention.

In ALL previous years when GRRM chose a new POV to counter something in the show, he actually posted the excerpt on his blog, I doubt it would be different now. 

If by some miracle he does read a new POV, most likely it would be Damphair chapter because 1) he wanted to read it before so its ready to be read and 2) New character of Euron is introduced and most likely be controversial - so he wants to pre-empt it. 3) It might be the same excerpt that he would choose to post on his website because I doubt GRRM would want to release two new chapters in space of less 2 months.

Archived