Martin confirms reading WINDS chapters at Mysticon

tallTale

I don't know, Man.    There is material he could have used that isn't necessarily "new" but would have been new for the readers.   He could have stayed completely away from TWOW and read something from any of the other books he's working on.    All this hype and hope for TWOW is exhausting.  I don't know that we can read anything into what GRRM does or doesn't do.   I don't know that we can find actual clues to the books in the show.  We won't know anything until we actually read TWOW.  This has to be the most anticipated book ever--at least in my experience.    This reminds me of the early SK days when it was a feeding frenzy if there was even a rumor of new material from him.  I doubt it but sure hope you're right.  

I just think that he has some clue that we are sick and tired of waiting and it would just be kick below the belt if he pisses us off even more. And I think he has an idea that we are pissed now, we wanted Dumphair, Mel, Asha, Davos, even JonCon, Brienne or Jaime, I don’t know about you but only Areo would piss me of more than Arianne. And he knows he didn't like AFFC that much which is why he didn't publish WoW material in the same way like he intended to. Maybe I am desperate but I just hope we have a damn book this year.

For those who were attended, did GRRM reveal anything in Arianne II that we did not already know about ? I am really hoping for some new Jon Connington news!

So mad i didn't attend this event

I heard, but it may be wrong that the only major thing is that

JonCon took SE

What stood out to me was the amount of detail regarding the Golden Company, and how absolutely boring Arianne's companions are.

The Golden Company is seizing every pack animal they come across, and either promising to pay in the future or else just straight stealing them, depending on the mercenary. They're quite secretive and the more professional ones give very little away to Arianne and her companions. JonCon is a Stannis/Randyll type military leader, who forbids rape and keeps his men relatively well disciplined. Locals from the Stormlands are riding off to join him. Arianne speculates that as Storm's End is one of the most formidable castles around, if JonCon should take it he'll be a rallying point for anti-Lannister factions. Then she finds out he has taken it, an army from King's Landing is marching south, and Aegon intends to defeat them in the field (although this is coming from Haldon and the spymaster, so it could be the propaganda version).

The journey itself is a bit boring and no shits were given about any of her friends. Arianne seems wiser than she did previously.

10 hours ago, dariopatke said:

I just think that he has some clue that we are sick and tired of waiting and it would just be kick below the belt if he pisses us off even more. And I think he has an idea that we are pissed now, we wanted Dumphair, Mel, Asha, Davos, even JonCon, Brienne or Jaime, I don’t know about you but only Areo would piss me of more than Arianne. And he knows he didn't like AFFC that much which is why he didn't publish WoW material in the same way like he intended to. Maybe I am desperate but I just hope we have a damn book this year.

I heard, but it may be wrong that the only major thing is that

Hidden Content

He is no doubt aware of our feelings and concerns, which probably pale in comparison to his publisher's.    He is having this entirely on his own terms.  I suppose we will have TWOW when it's done, just as he says, regardless how long it takes or anyone's desire for it.   This isn't easy to swallow but he does have us over a barrel since there is nothing quite like ASOAIF out there.   We will either grow weary and move on, boycott or wait.    It's up to each reader at this and the next point.     You don't sound desperate at all, friend, only as impatient as the rest of us.  I have a feeling this is nothing compared to the wait that will no doubt be painfully endured for ADOS.   

He is no doubt aware of our feelings and concerns, which probably pale in comparison to his publisher's.    He is having this entirely on his own terms.  I suppose we will have TWOW when it's done, just as he says, regardless how long it takes or anyone's desire for it.   This isn't easy to swallow but he does have us over a barrel since there is nothing quite like ASOAIF out there.   We will either grow weary and move on, boycott or wait.    It's up to each reader at this and the next point.     You don't sound desperate at all, friend, only as impatient as the rest of us.  I have a feeling this is nothing compared to the wait that will no doubt be painfully endured for ADOS.   

I dont see DoS before 2023, but probably later. Hopefuly every second of wait pays off and I have a good feeling about that.

14 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Yup.  Regardless of how pissed off fans get, or how mad his publishers are....GRRM has everyone by the balls with this.  Regardless of how long it takes, it's going to sell...and it's going to sell really well and make bantam millions upon million of dollars.  GRRM is nothing short of a cash-cow, and anything he puts out concerning ASOIAF will be an instant best seller.  So who's really going to push him harder?  Nobody can.  People/Bantam can whine and complain all they want, but people will still buy the book, Bantam will still rake in the cash, and GRRM will still continue to get rich off of ASOIAF.

18 minutes ago, Leap said:

How so? 

The fact that Martin - a 67 year old, is writing so much for us as well as going out of his way to attend conventions and interact with fans - even the ungrateful ones, speaks hugely to his commitment and character. What's a slap in the face is that he does all of this, and yet still gets criticised for it.

In any case, I for one don't want The Winds of Winter to be released chapter by chapter, through rumours and re-tellings. When the book's ready, it will come out. I don't want to have read half of it by then. 

Hear, hear. 

13 hours ago, Leap said:

How so? 

The fact that Martin - a 67 year old, is writing so much for us as well as going out of his way to attend conventions and interact with fans - even the ungrateful ones, speaks hugely to his commitment and character. What's a slap in the face is that he does all of this, and yet still gets criticised for it. 

In any case, I for one don't want The Winds of Winter to be released chapter by chapter, through rumours and re-tellings. When the book's ready, it will come out. I don't want to have read half of it by then. 

Sorry I guess I'll let the wonderful show ruin it all for me with its wonderful story lines. Though whilst I'm waiting for winds ill raise a family see my children grow and send them through university and then in turn watch them start there own family's whilst we get also once again wonderful blog updates such as this http://grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html  but at least he has the heart to hold press and read chapters that we haven't already heard yehhhhhhhhhhh

I was disappointed that it wasn't new material, but it was still one of my favorite authors reading from a book I can't wait to read, so I enjoyed it greatly. It was a small venue, and I was thrilled to get into the reading. He answered a few questions afterward (I missed the other Q&A sessions at the con), and it was quite entertaining.

I'll need to go back to the old summaries that others have posted of these chapters, but the things that stood out for me were the dispersal of the Sandsnakes, the pirate king in the step stones, and the younger daughter of their host dreaming of dragons.

28 minutes ago, Gianetta said:

I was disappointed that it wasn't new material, but it was still one of my favorite authors reading from a book I can't wait to read, so I enjoyed it greatly. It was a small venue, and I was thrilled to get into the reading. He answered a few questions afterward (I missed the other Q&A sessions at the con), and it was quite entertaining.

I'll need to go back to the old summaries that others have posted of these chapters, but the things that stood out for me were the dispersal of the Sandsnakes, the pirate king in the step stones, and the younger daughter of their host dreaming of dragons.

Sounds excellent, glad you enjoyed it!

Archived