Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 3.0

LugaJetboyGirl

On 8/2/2019 at 5:06 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

If you're looking for McDonalds urban fantasy, I recommend the Elemental Assassin books. There's like twenty of them and probably more that follow an assassin with a heart of gold named Gin in a town full of corrupt evil doers she invariably has to kill. The majority of her foes are Elementals who have various fire, ice, water, lightning, and so on powers but there's also vampires, giants, and (Tolkien) dwarves.

The books are a bit formulaic but I really enjoy them.

It's first book is for sale on Audible's Great Escapes for $5 like my Rules of Supervillainy book (which is NOT urban fantasy).

I've started three of Estep's series, and got the furtherest with the Elemental Assassin books (I think I got to about Book 5).  However, every single one I've then put down.  Estep writes well, and she writes interesting characters, but sooner or later the whole thing doesn't jive.  With the Elemental Assassin it just got more and more ridiculous.  She was pretty much making many of her statements in the first books lies.  I don't like that level of inconsistency in the world building. 

Her other series I've tried I got 1 book and 3 books into.  Other series get to a point where you go "they're too stupid to live", and you want the bad guys to win.  

I would put Estep's books several levels below the books I was recommending.  She has good prose and ideas, but the books have issues that make them too annoying (IMO).  I wouldn't recommend her at all, and would (and am!) warn people off her.  

• 1 month later...

Pretty annoyed at Seanan McGuire right now. The latest book in what I consider one of the strongest urban fantasy series (Toby Daye) has just come out. But she continues not to release on kindle. Happy to pay hard cover prices, but want the kindle convenience. 

But to make it doubly bad, the book was released on 2 September, but won’t be in Australia for another two weeks. Pretty pissed. :devil:

5 hours ago, ants said:

Pretty annoyed at Seanan McGuire right now. The latest book in what I consider one of the strongest urban fantasy series (Toby Daye) has just come out. But she continues not to release on kindle. Happy to pay hard cover prices, but want the kindle convenience. 

But to make it doubly bad, the book was released on 2 September, but won’t be in Australia for another two weeks. Pretty pissed. :devil:

She has a publisher for the series, doesn't she?  She doesn't self-publish them?  If so I assume its a publisher you should be annoyed at, not her.  I would guess she'd be happy to have her books available world wide in all formats at the same time because it would make her the most money.  But presumably whoever has the rights to publish her books in Australia chooses not to release on ebook or maybe no one has paid for the rights to put out the ebooks there.

I can't remember when I stopped reading the series regularly.  A few years ago, I think.  I imagine I will pick it up again but I just could not keep up at the time.

1 hour ago, ants said:

Given virtually every publisher is on kindle, I find it hard to believe she doesn’t have some input. 

Actually she appears not to at this point with respect to that series.  I looked into it and she has numerous tweets about it and there is an old LiveJournal post on it which seems to be still accurate.  DAW has the world rights for the Toby series.  It is up to them to sublicense the rights to publish in other countries.  It sounds like she obviously wants to sell as many books as possible and if she had a say in the matter she'd make them available all over the world in all formats.  But since DAW hasn't sold the ebook rights or possibly no foreign publisher is willing to buy the ebook rights for that region, it remains unavailable and she is still under contract with DAW and can't change that.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Actually she appears not to at this point with respect to that series.  I looked into it and she has numerous tweets about it and there is an old LiveJournal post on it which seems to be still accurate.  DAW has the world rights for the Toby series.  It is up to them to sublicense the rights to publish in other countries.  It sounds like she obviously wants to sell as many books as possible and if she had a say in the matter she'd make them available all over the world in all formats.  But since DAW hasn't sold the ebook rights or possibly no foreign publisher is willing to buy the ebook rights for that region, it remains unavailable and she is still under contract with DAW and can't change that.

Ok, thanks for the update.  That seems incredibly stupid of DAW.  

Archived