LugaJetboyGirl-irra

Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 3.0

On 2/28/2018 at 3:36 PM, LugaJetboyGirl-irra said:

Glad you liked it. I thought that the main character was done well; in a field known for its 'spunky and sarcastic women', the books still managed to portray her in a cute and novel light. Or perhaps I think that because I am a lazy person who lays around eating junk food and reading books, so I could empathize with her well :) 

I read the second and thought it was well done, too, but haven't gotten around to the third.

This is available on Kindle Unlimited right now @Lany Freelove Cassandra it looks cute.  Thank you!   Now I need to stop for some junk food on the way home.

Thanks for the advice on Slouch Witch. I picked up the first and flew through it. Just the thing with a cluster feeding newborn. 

I'm presently debating whether or not to pick up the Hollows prequel or not. The series was never the same after a certain character died and I was primarily interested in the books because of the strong Ivy and Rachel friendship. Frankly, though, I've heard the reason it becomes almost nonexistent was because of a homophobic fan reaction.

I also wasn't blown away by the latest Alpha and Omega book and the previous one wasn't great either. Still, I love the ongoing Mercy Thompson world and hope it continues as my literary comfort food.

I'm trying the Daniel Faust series soon.

Currently, I'm wondering if there's anything like a slasher movie in urban fantasy as I think it's a natural fit since Buffy the Vampire Slayer is based on the premise of the Final Girl fighting back from the beginning.

Mostly I'm reading these to get myself in the headspace to write my third I was a Teenage Weredeer book.

On 5/22/2018 at 2:22 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

I'm presently debating whether or not to pick up the Hollows prequel or not. The series was never the same after a certain character died and I was primarily interested in the books because of the strong Ivy and Rachel friendship. Frankly, though, I've heard the reason it becomes almost nonexistent was because of a homophobic fan reaction.

Ugh, I had to quit the series after that death as that character was helping to compensate for and was set up as a possible a solution to a lot of problems I had with the writing.

Also lots of jerkchains are pulled on the reader. In the case with the death we're told the character is probably dead (lots of angst), then we get confirmation of the death (more angst), but no, wait, that character is probably alive (more emotion), then find out that nope, definitely dead. And this along side the main character thinking 2 other characters are dead who actually weren't. Just felt like cheap manipulation at that point.

Agreed 100%

For me the heart of the story was the Ivy/Rachel/Kisten relationship and the oddities involved but once that was gone, it became Rachel's romance with the former psychotic villain as well as friendship with her abusive demon patron.

And that's just not cool.