LugaJetboyGirl-irra

Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance v. 3.0

If you're looking for McDonalds urban fantasy, I recommend the Elemental Assassin books. There's like twenty of them and probably more that follow an assassin with a heart of gold named Gin in a town full of corrupt evil doers she invariably has to kill. The majority of her foes are Elementals who have various fire, ice, water, lightning, and so on powes but there's also vampires, giants, and (Tolkien) dwarves.

It's first book is for sale on Audible's Great Escapes for $5 like my Rules of Supervillainy book (which is NOT urban fantasy).

On 8/2/2019 at 5:06 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

If you're looking for McDonalds urban fantasy, I recommend the Elemental Assassin books. There's like twenty of them and probably more that follow an assassin with a heart of gold named Gin in a town full of corrupt evil doers she invariably has to kill. The majority of her foes are Elementals who have various fire, ice, water, lightning, and so on powers but there's also vampires, giants, and (Tolkien) dwarves.

The books are a bit formulaic but I really enjoy them.

It's first book is for sale on Audible's Great Escapes for $5 like my Rules of Supervillainy book (which is NOT urban fantasy).

I've started three of Estep's series, and got the furtherest with the Elemental Assassin books (I think I got to about Book 5).  However, every single one I've then put down.  Estep writes well, and she writes interesting characters, but sooner or later the whole thing doesn't jive.  With the Elemental Assassin it just got more and more ridiculous.  She was pretty much making many of her statements in the first books lies.  I don't like that level of inconsistency in the world building. 

Her other series I've tried I got 1 book and 3 books into.  Other series get to a point where you go "they're too stupid to live", and you want the bad guys to win.  

I would put Estep's books several levels below the books I was recommending.  She has good prose and ideas, but the books have issues that make them too annoying (IMO).  I wouldn't recommend her at all, and would (and am!) warn people off her.