Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, daccu65 said:

Is their any source for the core beliefs and actions for those who worship R'hllor?  The reason I ask is that Mel seems to perform some actions much differently than Thoros, or even Moqorro.  In particular:

Mel has a preference for burning people alive.  Yet through all of his travels through the Riverlands, Thoros used hanging whenever the band executed someone.  Moqorro also called for a man to be killed, but didn't specifically call for him to be burned alive (he was killed and thrown overboard.)

Mel is very aggressive towards other faiths, calling them all false gods and burning weirwoods and septs.  Thoros seems to show respect and courtesy towards septons...even calling one "brother", and showed respect for the ghost of High Hall.  Moqorro once called the drowned god a servant of the great other, but did not say that all other gods were false. 

I'm working under the assumption that Mel is being controlled...much as she controlled both Mayce and Rattleshirt, so I'm trying to figure out if she's acting contrary to a Red Priest and if so, by how much.

There is an SSM or recorded interview somewhere in which The George explains that Melisandre is pushing her own agenda. 

And remember, religions in ASOIAF as in the real world are comprised of people, and not all people think alike. Where some persons of a particular faith might preach holy war, others of the same faith might preach outreach. 

Another odd question:  Do members of the Night's Watch receive any form of pay, other than room and board?  The reason I ask is the books state that the brothel in Moletown seems a fairly popular "Recreational" destination for brothers who aren't on duty.  If they aren't paid, where do they get the money to pay for the service?  Would it strictly be plunder from Wildlings or perhaps bartering with something they fabricated?

21 minutes ago, daccu65 said:

Another odd question:  Do members of the Night's Watch receive any form of pay, other than room and board?  The reason I ask is the books state that the brothel in Moletown seems a fairly popular "Recreational" destination for brothers who aren't on duty.  If they aren't paid, where do they get the money to pay for the service?  Would it strictly be plunder from Wildlings or perhaps bartering with something they fabricated?

I assume that the Night's Watch does not pay the Black Brothers any wages in coin for their service - they get their provisions for free, after all.

What I was wondering...how do the Brothers pay the whores in Moletown? Since they're not using coin, do they pay in naturalia filched from Night Watch' stores?

I guess some women so far north would choose such a life (given that life is relatively harsher than farther south), even if they are not paid in coin...

A lot of the Mole's Town transactions are paid by barter, certaintly, but there is coin at the Wall... not much, though, especially these days... (see following answer). Some coin comes north with the highborn brothers... someone like Ser Waymar Royce undoubtedly arrived well heeled, and I imagine families send gifts and such as well... and there's trade that goes in and out of Eastwatch...

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Various_ASoIaF_Questions

Sansa has Sandor's Kingsguard cloak after the Blackwater (ASOS Sansa I: "She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks."). Does she take it before fleeing with Dontos, or was it left in her chambers in the Red Keep?

I wish the Hound were here. The night of the battle, Sandor Clegane had come to her chambers to take her from the city, but Sansa had refused. Sometimes she lay awake at night, wondering if she'd been wise. She had his stained white cloak hidden in a cedar chest beneath her summer silks. She could not say why she'd kept it.

ASoS 06 Sansa I

She had kept it ... and probably had it dyed green for the bloodstains to bet covered.
She had a green hooded cloak on her on her flight that had not been mentioned before.

Dress warmly, Ser Dontos had told her, and dress dark. She had no blacks, so she chose a dress of thick brown wool. The bodice was decorated with freshwater pearls, though. The cloak will cover them. The cloak was a deep green, with a large hood. She slipped the dress over her head, and donned the cloak, though she left the hood down for the moment.

ASoS 61 Sansa V

5 minutes ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

ASoS 06 Sansa I

She had kept it ... and probably had it dyed green for the bloodstains to bet covered.
She had a green hooded cloak on her on her flight that had not been mentioned before.

ASoS 61 Sansa V

I agree, but that is a theory, though. We cannot answer the question definitively. 

4 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I agree, but that is a theory, though. We cannot answer the question definitively. 

That's why I said probably. In favor of it is that it seemed hard to come by new clothes for Sansa.

That was until the Tyrells entered the picture. And their henchmen actually do wear... green cloaks.

1 hour ago, Jon Weirgaryen said:

That's why I said probably. In favor of it is that it seemed hard to come by new clothes for Sansa.

That was until the Tyrells entered the picture. And their henchmen actually do wear... green cloaks.

Ah yes. Sorry :blushing:

Ok. I'm avoiding work again and decided to do a little hunting around for ideas on my Jon thoughts which naturally brings me right to Val. While reading through past threads and theories, someone mentioned the possibility that Val could be an Umber on her mother's side, or that her own mother could be an Umber???

I did look for more info but could not find any. Does anyone have any answers to this thought or links to reasonable discussions about this?

2 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Ok. I'm avoiding work again and decided to do a little hunting around for ideas on my Jon thoughts which naturally brings me right to Val. While reading through past threads and theories, someone mentioned the possibility that Val could be an Umber on her mother's side, or that her own mother could be an Umber???

I did look for more info but could not find any. Does anyone have any answers to this thought or links to reasonable discussions about this?

The more common theory posits that Rowan, one of Abel's washer women, is the daughter of Mors Umber who was carried off by wilding years ago. 

1 minute ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

The more common theory posits that Rowan, one of Abel's washer women, is the daughter of Mors Umber who was carried off by wilding years ago. 

That one is familiar even though I don't remember every detail to that one.

Nothing about an Umber heritage to Val you can remember??? You tend to remember lots of stuff :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Nothing about an Umber heritage to Val you can remember??? You tend to remember lots of stuff :thumbsup:

I know I've seen it mentioned, but I can't recall a good thread on it. Sorry. 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

The only theories I can think of on Val are to do with her Weirwood brooch. Something to do with priestesses and matrilineal heritage or something. I don't really recall too well though since I wasn't really invested in it. I think it was a Victarion Chainbreaker theory but I could even be mistaken about that too. 

Never heard a Val as an Umber theory before though

I hope I've read the Thread right and could ask a question here

I know this is a "Shot in the dark" type questions, but is there a chance for the Lannister to reclaim "Brightroar" and Targaryens(Dany) to reclaim "Blackfyre" and "Darksister"? Also, are these pictures in the Woiaf book the way GRRM sees them in his minds eye? In other words, are these the "Accurate" depictions approve by GRRM?

tumblr_ne6lesS3hi1u2n5cyo1_500.png "Brightroar" - It was described as a Greatsword of Valyrian Steel...Thats pretty Badass!!!

tumblr_ne66b5xjkN1u2n5cyo1_500.png "Blackfyre" - I don't like the look to much to be perfectly honest :unsure:, it looks too cartooney.

tumblr_ne639wb5qp1u2n5cyo1_1280.png "Darksister" - Even tho I think the depiction is cartooney to, it looks way better then it sibling.

3 hours ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I've heard that her eyes changed when she went to find Tormund, so people theorized she had a run in with the Others.

Oh yes. That does happen. Jon notes she leaves with grey eyes but they are blue why she returns. Val and Dalla were definitely inspired by the volva or vala of old Nirse culture. Not mythology entirely, but women who,actually did these healing and moon singing things and stuff.  So yea, something is up with Val... And I love her for it. 

2 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

I know this is a "Shot in the dark" type questions, but is there a chance for the Lannister to reclaim "Brightroar" and Targaryens(Dany) to reclaim "Blackfyre" and "Darksister"? Also, are these pictures in the Woiaf book the way GRRM sees them in his minds eye? In other words, are these the "Accurate" depictions approve by GRRM?

tumblr_ne6lesS3hi1u2n5cyo1_500.png "Brightroar" - It was described as a Greatsword of Valyrian Steel...Thats pretty Badass!!!

tumblr_ne66b5xjkN1u2n5cyo1_500.png "Blackfyre" - I don't like the look to much to be perfectly honest :unsure:, it looks too cartooney.

tumblr_ne639wb5qp1u2n5cyo1_1280.png "Darksister" - Even tho I think the depiction is cartooney to, it looks way better then it sibling.

GRRM approved what went into TWOIAF.

Incidentally I love you for posting this picture, because we can finally put to rest the theory that Blackfyre is Longclaw.  Longclaw is empty in the middle.

2 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

The illustrations aren't all accurate, no. Ran said that the degree of input martin had varied. In my opinion the problem with those images is they don't convey the smokey dark color or ripples that are characteristic of Valyrian steel

4 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

GRRM approved what went into TWOIAF.

Incidentally I love you for posting this picture, because we can finally put to rest the theory that Blackfyre is Longclaw.  Longclaw is empty in the middle.

NP^_^, but theres a theory Blackfyre is Longclaw :huh:? Why lol? They are two diffrent swords lmao. But do you think its possible that Brightroar, BF, and DS will be reclaimed? I know Tommen II took it on his voyage to Valyria and never returned, but it doesn't say he drowned.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

The illustrations aren't all accurate, no. Ran said that the degree of input martin had varied. In my opinion the problem with those images is they don't convey the smokey dark color or ripples that are characteristic of Valyrian steel

Whos Ran? The cartooney pics of Blackfyre and dark sister might not have the smokey color, but they do have ripples if you look closely

Archived