Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 minute ago, The Wolves said:

Was the Greyjoy rebellion fought during winter? 

The summer ended in early 299 AC and lasted for ten years, two months, and sixteen days. Thus, summer began in either early 289 AC, or late 288 AC.

So no, it doesn't seem so. Though we don't know when in the year exactly the rebellion occured, it appears to have been early summer during the Greyjoy Rebellion.

46 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Any good theories on the magical properties of weirwood sap?  All this ruby talk led me to a search and aside from Mel, Rhaeger and gems there's an odd passage concerning the weirdwood sap.  It's when Jon is taking his vows.  He compares the red sap of the trees to rubies and to Ghosts eyes. 

Well, when mixed with a little Jojen...

On 3/22/2016 at 2:56 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Actually I always thought Mel survived because of her ruby. We find out in Dany's chapter when she has been to see about getting ships that she wears a gem around her neck which supposedly guards against poisons

On 3/22/2016 at 4:44 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Interesting. Could you quote the passage? I can't seem to find it.

If the ruby saved her, the question of "how?" still remains. By concentrating the poison into the one sip that she didn't drink? She might not have ingested any of the poison herself at all.

Which would, in part, explain the slight difference in length until the effects of the poison become as severe to the point of chocking. The amount of poison one ingests at once, the age and health of the person ingesting it.. that could all influence the speed of the poison's effects.

Cressen leaves the poison out, and the takes a nap, doesn't it?  It's possible that Melisandre was simply informed (or discovered herself) that Cressen intended to poison her and took an antidote.

13 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Cressen leaves the poison out, and the takes a nap, doesn't it?  It's possible that Melisandre was simply informed (or discovered herself) that Cressen intended to poison her and took an antidote.

On the previous page I speculated something similar. Namely Pylos saw the poison and ratted Cressen out.

12 minutes ago, DanaKz said:

Does anyone remember if Catelyn ever think  that Ned was unfaithful to her after he made marriage vows?

When she resented Ned not about bringing his bastard to Winterfell but actually fathering said bastard?

He did more than that. The Starks were not like other men. Ned brought his bastard home with him, and called him "son" for all the north to see. When the wars were over at last, and Catelyn rode to Winterfell, Jon and his wet nurse had already taken up residence.

That cut deep. Ned would not speak of the mother, not so much as a word, but a castle has no secrets, and Catelyn heard her maids repeating tales they heard from the lips of her husband's soldiers. They whispered of Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, deadliest of the seven knights of Aerys's Kingsguard, and of how their young lord had slain him in single combat. And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur's sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the Summer Sea. The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes. It had taken her a fortnight to marshal her courage, but finally, in bed one night, Catelyn had asked her husband the truth of it, asked him to his face.

That was the only time in all their years that Ned had ever frightened her. "Never ask me about Jon," he said, cold as ice. "He is my blood, and that is all you need to know. And now I will learn where you heard that name, my lady." She had pledged to obey; she told him; and from that day on, the whispering had stopped, and Ashara Dayne's name was never heard in Winterfell again.

Whoever Jon's mother had been, Ned must have loved her fiercely, for nothing Catelyn said would persuade him to send the boy away. It was the one thing she could never forgive him. She had come to love her husband with all her heart, but she had never found it in her to love Jon. She might have overlooked a dozen bastards for Ned's sake, so long as they were out of sight. Jon was never out of sight, and as he grew, he looked more like Ned than any of the trueborn sons she bore him. Somehow that made it worse. "Jon must go," she said now. 

Does this help?

1 hour ago, DanaKz said:

Hm, it didn't say if she believe that Ned fathered Jon after his wedding to Catelyn

This quote from just before the one above hints at it:

Many men fathered bastards. Catelyn had grown up with that knowledge. It came as no surprise to her, in the first year of her marriage, to learn that Ned had fathered a child on some girl chance met on campaign. He had a man's needs, after all, and they had spent that year apart, Ned off at war in the south while she remained safe in her father's castle at Riverrun. Her thoughts were more of Robb, the infant at her breast, than of the husband she scarcely knew. He was welcome to whatever solace he might find between battles. And if his seed quickened, she expected he would see to the child's needs. (Catelyn II in A Game of Thrones)

It is implied from her thoughts that she believed Jon to have been conceived when he went south to fight after their wedding, while she remained at Riverrun. 

1 hour ago, DanaKz said:

Hm, it didn't say if she believe that Ned fathered Jon after his wedding to Catelyn

In Eddard II, when with Robert in the Barrowlands, Ned states that he had taken Catelyn to wife, and that she had already been pregnant, when fathering Jon. Is that the one you were looking for?

Edit:

"Wylla. Yes" The king grinned. "She must have been a rare wench if she could make Lord Eddard Stark forget his honor, even for an hour. You never told me what she looked like..."

Ned's mouth tightened in anger."Nor will I. Leave it be, Robert, for the love you say you bear me. I dishonored myself and I dishonored Catelyn, in the sight of gods and men."

"Gods have mercy, you scarcely knew Catelyn."

"I had taken her to wife, she was carrying my child."

I'd be shocked if there weren't (probably not the kind of caves you mean, but the Mountains of the Moon should be full of them) but we haven't really seen enou of the Vale to know that. The only places we see in detail are the Eyrie and the Littlest Finger. Same applies to the Rea h, though we see even less of that.

58 minutes ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

So Ramsay snow gets legitimized and becomes Ramsay Bolton. When aegon iv legitimized bloodraven, did he become brynden targaryen? Why is he still known as brynden rivers if he is legitimized?

Proud of his Blackwood lineage perhaps? Didn't want to add further confusion to the line of succession. Was comfortable in being a bastard unlike some of his other brothers?

I don't think he ever gives a concrete reason.

3 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

So Ramsay snow gets legitimized and becomes Ramsay Bolton. When aegon iv legitimized bloodraven, did he become brynden targaryen? Why is he still known as brynden rivers if he is legitimized?

For whatever reason, Brynden decided not to take his father's name.

There's a big difference in the situation too. Ramsay is supposed to continue House Bolton. Brynden did not necessarily have to ccontinue House Targaryen.

Archived