Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

3 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

So Ramsay snow gets legitimized and becomes Ramsay Bolton. When aegon iv legitimized bloodraven, did he become brynden targaryen? Why is he still known as brynden rivers if he is legitimized?

For whatever reason, Brynden decided not to take his father's name.

There's a big difference in the situation too. Ramsay is supposed to continue House Bolton. Brynden did not necessarily have to ccontinue House Targaryen.

Ramsay shouts to the world he's unhappy and at issue with what and who he is and how others address him.

So he needs to be someone else and others to acknowledge that.

Not so Brynden, he tells the world best to not have issues with him.

So the world better keep away from him.

It's also worth noting that Brynden wasn't the only one not to take on the Targaryen name - none of the Great Bastards did. Shiera Seastar, Aegor River, Daemon Blackfyre (that one is a rather obvious but never,I don't) Brynden Rivers (I seem to recall Brynden's sisters also don't take on the name Targaryen). As has been mentioned already, I think a lot is to do with the fact they weren't legitimised to continue the family name, whereas Ramsay, in addition to despising his bastard status, was meant to continue House Bolton

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It's also worth noting that Brynden wasn't the only one not to take on the Targaryen name - none of the Great Bastards did. Shiera Seastar, Aegor River, Daemon Blackfyre (that one is a rather obvious but never,I don't) Brynden Rivers (I seem to recall Brynden's sisters also don't take on the name Targaryen). As has been mentioned already, I think a lot is to do with the fact they weren't legitimised to continue the family name, whereas Ramsay, in addition to despising his bastard status, was meant to continue House Bolton

Alyn of Hull was legitimized and took up the name Velaryon.  In this instance, the intent was also to continue a house: House Velaryon.  That is, I believe the importance of continuing a house and its name is key.

1 hour ago, finger said:

Is there any news about the Myrish tapestries?

I suspect it's a big red herring. LF might wanted them for futile reasons: they're worthy, to puzzle Cersei, to look kingly, he just liked them,...

You mean the Baratheon tapestries?  They are mentioned in the latest spoiler chapter, which is still up on GRRM's website. 

Spoiler

LF gives them to Nestor Royce as a gift.

Hi, quick question. I dont think this deserves a dedicated thread.

8000 years ago, humans won against the white walkers. How?

There probably were heavily outnumbered based on how many the WW can easily reanimate. There seems to be no mention of using dragon glass in any books written by Maesters. The power of valyrian steel is also not documented.

They just say, AA led the attack and forced them back. How was this so easy?

4 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Anti-Dornish sentiment was one of the reasons many houses supported Daemon Blackfyre during the Blackfyre Rebellions.  Is there any hint that the Golden Company holds any sort of resentment towards the Dornish, then or now?

Well probably most of the Marcher Lords had the tradition of hating the Dornish but its not like the Golden Company has been fighting them recently. Besides House Yronwood marched with Bittersteel in 3 of the rebellions. So other than the lack of Dornish in the Golden Company I don't see anything that would make me think that the Golden Company would be particularly anti-Dornish.

Also JonCon expects the Dornish to join them. If the GC had a problem with the Dornish I'm sure they would have mentioned it by now.

10 hours ago, robasp2 said:

Hi, quick question. I dont think this deserves a dedicated thread.

8000 years ago, humans won against the white walkers. How?

There probably were heavily outnumbered based on how many the WW can easily reanimate. There seems to be no mention of using dragon glass in any books written by Maesters. The power of valyrian steel is also not documented.

They just say, AA led the attack and forced them back. How was this so easy?

We don't know how many WW's there ever were or how they are created, they can only reanimate the dead which are not nearly as strong as they are.  They are easily burned.

The other story besides AA is the Last Hero who met with the cotf.  Once they met with them they could have learned that dragonglass/obsidian kills WW's.  

Using a well disciplined force you could have archers with obsidian, men with torches, and your best fighters could have your limited supply or dragonsteal, which when lit on fire like Thoros does could kill both.

What is a wolf-fish? Is there a real world equivalent? I tend to have this image in my head.

This is from the World book in the section about the Shivering Sea:

Despite the sinister legends that have grown up around its northernly reaches, the waters of the Shivering Sea teem with life. Hundreds of varieties of fish swim through its depths, including salmon, wolf fish, sand lances, grey skates, lampreys and other eels, whitefish, char, shark, herring, mackerel, and cod. Crabs and lobsters (some of truly monstrous size) are found everywhere along its shores, whilst seals, narwhals, walruses, and sea lions have their rookeries and breeding grounds on and around the countless rocky islands and sea stacks.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

What is a wolf-fish? Is there a real world equivalent? I tend to have this image in my head.

Despite the sinister legends that have grown up around its northernly reaches, the waters of the Shivering Sea teem with life. Hundreds of varieties of fish swim through its depths, including salmon, wolf fish, sand lances, grey skates, lampreys and other eels, whitefish, char, shark, herring, mackerel, and cod. Crabs and lobsters (some of truly monstrous size) are found everywhere along its shores, whilst seals, narwhals, walruses, and sea lions have their rookeries and breeding grounds on and around the countless rocky islands and sea stacks.

Apparently a real thing

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Funny enough, all I could picture was Arya's possible personal arms that she discussed with Jon. 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Also known as "sea wolves".  :) 

32 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

13 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Funny enough, all I could picture was Arya's possible personal arms that she discussed with Jon. 

Also known as "sea wolves".  :) 

Well, the real thing isn't nearly as exciting as a possible Arya sigil! :D

Thanks a million for answering another dumb question of mine. Maybe we need a dumb question thread? (Joking) 

3 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I pictured killer whales since they hunt in packs.

Archived