Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

13 hours ago, The Sword of the Evening said:

In AGOT it states that Ned had not seen Robert since 9 years before for Balon Greyjoy's rebellion.

It also mentions that he hasn't seen the "Lannister woman" since the younger prince was still on her breast and thinks Tommen must be 5. Cat corrects him and says that Prince Tommen is 7.

When did Ned see Cersei 7 years ago at which time he didn't see Robert?

/u/markg171 theorizes here that Jorah might be to blame.

This is a quick one.
On westeros.org there is a comment by Ran on Dany's visions at the House of the Undying:

The fifth room shows Rhaegar and Elia with the newborn Aegon, as confirmed by Martin.

Does anyone know where to find the original confirmation? Or do we assume that Ran got the confirmation from Martin?

20 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

This is a quick one.
On westeros.org there is a comment by Ran on Dany's visions at the House of the Undying:

Does anyone know where to find the original confirmation? Or do we assume that Ran got the confirmation from Martin?

Not really a quick one, as I believe that I read the original in an online chat with GRRM.  One would need to search all of the online chats after the release of CoK to be certain, and I am unable to do this research at present.  However, since Ran (http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/profile/2-ran/) writes all of the SSMs, I would not think that questioning his word is a valid stance. 

Why didn't Roose Bolton recognize Arya in Harrenhal, given that she is supposed to have a very typical Stark look?

I assumed it wasn't that pronounced, but Craster recognizes Jon as a Stark and I am assuming he sees fewer Starks than Roose.

3 minutes ago, shizett said:

Why didn't Roose Bolton recognize Arya in Harrenhal, given that she is supposed to have a very typical Stark look?

I assumed it wasn't that pronounced, but Craster recognizes Jon as a Stark and I am assuming he sees fewer Starks than Roose.

Why are you so sure he did not recognize her?

Just now, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why are you so sure he did not recognize her?

Well, I am not sure. But having Arya would have been a huge advantage, the least of which not being stuck with a fake one to draw legitimacy from. If he did recognize her, why would he let her go?

2 minutes ago, shizett said:

Well, I am not sure. But having Arya would have been a huge advantage, the least of which not being stuck with a fake one to draw legitimacy from. If he did recognize her, why would he let her go?

He didn't exactly let her go. She escaped, and her guardian direwolf cut off the pursuit he sent after her. 

5 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He didn't exactly let her go. She escaped, and her guardian direwolf cut off the pursuit he sent after her. 

She was with him for a long while and he did nothing. But I see your point, I shouldn't be so sure. Thanks.

1 hour ago, shizett said:

She was with him for a long while and he did nothing. But I see your point, I shouldn't be so sure. Thanks.

If he had caged her and her identity had been revealed his liege lord and king may have been quite wroth. If he had exposed her, his liege lord and king might have demanded she be sent to Riverrun immediately. Keeping her as his incognito cupbearer was the best way of ensuring his hold over her, no? 

20 minutes ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

What does a Northern Lord need with/do with a squire?

My question really comes from Olyvar Frey squiring for Robb. Robb wasn't a Knight or a believer in the Faith of The Seven, so what does Robb due with Olyvar when hes done squiring for him?( Yes I know Robbs dead )

Maester Luwin is instructive here . . .

“How many knights?”

“Few enough,” the maester said with a touch of impatience. “To be a knight, you must stand your vigil in a sept, and be anointed with the seven oils to consecrate your vows. In the north, only a few of the great houses worship the Seven. The rest honor the old gods, and name no knights … but those lords and their sons and sworn swords are no less fierce or loyal or honorable. A man’s worth is not marked by a ser before his name. As I have told you a hundred times before.”

“Still,” said Bran, “how many knights?”

Maester Luwin sighed. “Three hundred, perhaps four … among three thousand armored lances who are not knights.”

Those armored lances are the martial equivalent of knights. Each would have the sames needs as a knight. 

Quick question, don't have the book in front of me and can't remember if I'm letting the show affect my memory.

when Benjen goes to Winterfell is there accounts of him and Ned talking? Obviously a Ned POV or maybe another Stark see's them speaking or such? 

1 hour ago, The Dame That Groans said:

Quick question, don't have the book in front of me and can't remember if I'm letting the show affect my memory.

when Benjen goes to Winterfell is there accounts of him and Ned talking? Obviously a Ned POV or maybe another Stark see's them speaking or such? 

I believe Catelyn II Benjen is mentioned as having spoke to Ned about various things relating to the Wall, and plans to resettle the Gift.

Archived