Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

2 hours ago, Castellan said:

Can anyone give me a link to that list of ASOIF chapters in chronological order of events not order they are in in the books?

Here is the traditional way to read if you want that: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a (there are several of these) 

Event timelines also available:  http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/timeline/section_c.php

3 hours ago, Castellan said:

Can anyone give me a link to that list of ASOIF chapters in chronological order of events not order they are in in the books?

47 minutes ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

Here is the traditional way to read if you want that: http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-readerfriendly-combined-reading-order-for-a (there are several of these) 

Event timelines also available:  http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/timeline/section_c.php

And the timeline of the main series.

3 hours ago, GrapefruitPerrier said:

How long does it take a body to turn to a "wight" in ASoIaF?

In GoT prologue we see Ser Waymar's body rising as wight almost immedietely after his death. Probably in presence of Others person becomes wight in the moment of his death ( when his soul/spirit/will/ leaves the body?)

1 hour ago, Blue Tiger said:

In GoT prologue we see Ser Waymar's body rising as wight almost immedietely after his death. Probably in presence of Others person becomes wight in the moment of his death ( when his soul/spirit/will/ leaves the body?)

That is what I thought, I know the show is kinda fan fic at this point, but does Jon not turning already indicate he is different? 

2 hours ago, Blue Tiger said:

I have to disagree. After Waymar was killed and the Other’s left Will stayed up the tree a long time.  After Will climbed down he noticed Royce’s body lay face down in the snow.  Will looked for the broken sword, then found it and discovered Royce standing over him.

We have been talking about that kinda stuff in

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php?/topic/139036-white-walker-question/

It is on page 3 or 4 if anyone is interested.

Have I been analyzing too many sexual allusion in the text (like swords are penises), or does this prophecy truly have a possible sexual connotation?

I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.

6 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Have I been analyzing too many sexual allusion in the text (like swords are penises), or does this prophecy truly have a possible sexual connotation?

I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh.

I think you might need to relieve a bit of tension ;)

26 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

ummm you may need speak with your therapist.:dunno: or

21 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I think you might need to relieve a bit of tension ;)

:devil:

38 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

I think you're making an allusion to sex, but I can't tell.  :idea:

I'm dense as a piece of cedar but I think you made the sex allusion

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

On April 24, 2016 at 1:18 PM, dantares83 said:

why didn't Roose Bolton recognized Arya in Clash of Kings?

i mean she is his lord's daughter. 

As other people already mentioned, Roose has probably only seen Arya a few time, and wouldn't necessarily have been paying much attention to her. Arya has also changed in appearance, the short haircut she was given and I guess she is at an age where you grow quickly.

Rememeber that Harwin, who lived at Winterfell and was constantly around Arya didn't recognise her, not even when he heard her voice. It was only when she told him that he used to lead her pony that it clicked for him, so she must be quite altered.

11 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

does all the dragons (including the ones Dany has now) descended from the 3 original dragons Aegon the Conqueror has?

All the Westerosi Targaryen dragons were descended from those three, yes. It's unclear if Daenerys's dragons are. I think her three eggs are three of the petrified eggs unearthed on Dragonstone during Aerys II's reign mentioned in the worldbook. Varys probably snuck them out during the chaos of the Sack, and he and Illyrio probably kept the non-petrified ones for Aegon. But that's all speculation. If Illyrio was telling the truth about obtaining the eggs from beyond Asshai then they probably would not be related to Balerion and the others. 

18 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

So does that mean that dragons kill one another and are all kinslayers?

Yeah, but I don't think they really care. Caraxes and Vhagar go from being close companions to killing each other, it's kinda sad. 

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Yeah, but I don't think they really care. Caraxes and Vhagar go from being close companions to killing each other, it's kinda sad. 

yeah, it is really sad.

but they are supposed to be intelligent... so they rather listen to the commands of a mere human than unite and burnt these imbeciles to death. 

19 minutes ago, dantares83 said:

yeah, it is really sad.

but they are supposed to be intelligent... so they rather listen to the commands of a mere human than unite and burnt these imbeciles to death. 

I think that's because of the magical dragon/rider bond. Vhagar roaring when Aemond is hurt and Sunfyre finding Aegon II all on his own strongly suggest that once the bond is established the Dragon is deeply connected to it's rider. Caraxes and Vhagar snarling at each other from across the yard is probably another example of this. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

All the Westerosi Targaryen dragons were descended from those three, yes. It's unclear if Daenerys's dragons are. I think her three eggs are three of the petrified eggs unearthed on Dragonstone during Aerys II's reign mentioned in the worldbook. Varys probably snuck them out during the chaos of the Sack, and he and Illyrio probably kept the non-petrified ones for Aegon. But that's all speculation. If Illyrio was telling the truth about obtaining the eggs from beyond Asshai then they probably would not be related to Balerion and the others. 

I'd add that there might be a chance that none of the dragons is actually descended from Meraxes considering that she (?) died in 10 AC. Maegor states that the Dragonpit was supposed to be built for Balerion, Vhagar, and their get. I guess Quicksilver could be descended from Meraxes since there is an interesting tidbit for information suggesting that Vermithor and Silverwing were cousins rather than siblings, so perhaps Quicksilver and Silverwing represent the line of Balerion-Meraxes whereas Vermithor is a descendant of Balerion-Vhagar.

But I'm not sure how this could work. Perhaps there is another dragon generation between Vermithor and Balerion Vhagar and Silverwing is Quicksilver descendant? If Alyssa Velaryon was a dragonrider this could work. But if there was no such generation then technically Dreamfyre, Vermithor, Silverwing, Meleys, Caraxes, etc. could only be the offspring of Vhagar and Balerion.

30 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think that's because of the magical dragon/rider bond. Vhagar roaring when Aemond is hurt and Sunfyre finding Aegon II all on his own strongly suggest that once the bond is established the Dragon is deeply connected to it's rider. Caraxes and Vhagar snarling at each other from across the yard is probably another example of this. 

That seems to be pretty clear, yes. There is no other good way to explain why the hell Vhagar and Caraxes were very close to each other when their riders - Laena and Daemon - loved each other and visibly hating each other later on when Aemond claimed Vhagar. The same goes for the bond between Aegon II and Sunfyre and the hatred between Arrax and Vhagar reflecting the feelings of their riders.

It is even backed by the series when Dany's dragons mimic the emotions she feels for Grazdan mo Eraz.

An unreflected dragon love for 'Targaryen blood' is also hinted at in the books by Dany's dragons liking Brown Ben Plumm and Sunfyre at first not understanding that he is supposed devour Rhaenyra. That dragon had no problem eating human corpses and attacking/killing/eating 'lesser men' but when Aegon II wanted him to eat Rhaenyra he only reacted when Rhaenyra was stabbed and the smell of blood triggered an instinctive response.

41 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd add that there might be a chance that none of the dragons is actually descended from Meraxes considering that she (?) died in 10 AC. Maegor states that the Dragonpit was supposed to be built for Balerion, Vhagar, and their get. I guess Quicksilver could be descended from Meraxes since there is an interesting tidbit for information suggesting that Vermithor and Silverwing were cousins rather than siblings, so perhaps Quicksilver and Silverwing represent the line of Balerion-Meraxes whereas Vermithor is a descendant of Balerion-Vhagar.

But I'm not sure how this could work. Perhaps there is another dragon generation between Vermithor and Balerion Vhagar and Silverwing is Quicksilver descendant? If Alyssa Velaryon was a dragonrider this could work. But if there was no such generation then technically Dreamfyre, Vermithor, Silverwing, Meleys, Caraxes, etc. could only be the offspring of Vhagar and Balerion.

It'd be cool to one day get a dragon family tree or at least a list of all the Targaryen dragons and their riders. Though I'd imagine that in universe they're usually not sure who the parents of any given clutch of eggs are. Otherwise Barth's theory that they can change genders shouldn't be so controversial. 

16 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'd add that there might be a chance that none of the dragons is actually descended from Meraxes considering that she (?) died in 10 AC. Maegor states that the Dragonpit was supposed to be built for Balerion, Vhagar, and their get.

<snip>

10 years is more than enough time to at least lay eggs. 

Aegon rode Balerion and Visenya rode Vhagar; Maegor was the son of Aegon and Visenya.  Maegor intended the Targaryen line to continue through him.  It seems he intended the dragons to descend from his parents' dragons as well.

Interesting thing I just noted about Vhagar though.  All of Vhagar's riders (at least the ones we know of) did not continue the current Targaryen line.

Visenya's son Maegor died without issue. 

Laena's claim was passed over during the Great Council of 101, and House Velaryon has had no lasting issue on the throne after Laena acquired Vhagar.  (Daeron I and Baelor I, half-Velaryon, rose to the throne, but neither had issue and their sisters were passed over during another Great Council.)  The most recent Velaryon ancestor of the current Targaryen line is Alyssa Velaryon, before Laena Velaryon's time.

Neither Aemond nor any other son of Alicent Hightower had (legitimate) issue that survived the Dance.

Archived