Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

9 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

Thank you nittanian ...you don't know how much you helped me with this interview..

I came looking for one but got another bonus with this full interview

Its second time GRRm is compared dany to aragorn and dragons are compared to aragorn's sword ..and we do looking for a sword in this series dont we..

It adds points to dragons are lightbringers .

There is certainly a case to be made for the dragons being LB. There is also this quote from ADWD: "When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown, they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world."

7 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

There is certainly a case to be made for the dragons being LB. There is also this quote from ADWD: "When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown, they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world."

Yes for me what sealed the deal for me was the take Jon read in ADWD ..where AA kills a monster with lightbringer which is very similar to how dany kills kraznys using drogon ..a word for word match ..

Sorry I couldn't quote those words now ...but i guess you can find it 

5 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

Yes for me what sealed the deal for me was the take Jon read in ADWD ..where AA kills a monster with lightbringer which is very similar to how dany kills kraznys using drogon ..a word for word match ..

Asearchoficeandfire.com is a good resource for finding quotes from the books. 

6 hours ago, Drogonthedread said:

Yes, the descriptions are near enough...

A lance of swirling dark flame took Kraznys full in the face. His eyes melted and ran down his cheeks, and the oil in his hair and beard burst so fiercely into fire that for an instant the slaver wore a burning crown twice as tall as his head. The sudden stench of charred meat overwhelmed even his perfume, and his wail seemed to drown all other sound.

Daenerys III, Storm 27

"I looked at that book Maester Aemon left me. The Jade Compendium. The pages that told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife's blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame."

Jon III, Dance 10

But what about the bolder bit? Could that suggest that Daenerys will be Jon's Nissa Nissa, or maybe the other way round? 

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes, the descriptions are near enough...

Daenerys III, Storm 27

Jon III, Dance 10

But what about the bolder bit? Could that suggest that Daenerys will be Jon's Nissa Nissa, or maybe the other way round? 

Well drogon was tempered with drogo dany's husband right ...and I certainly don't remember drogon ever being cold ..

One similarity you can find with dany is role reversal with all this prophesies..

tSWMtW - everyone is looking for a khal but it will be a khaleesi

TpTWP - everyone was looking for a prince but it was princess..

AAR - everyone is looking for AA ( husband , sun ) to kill his nissa nissa ( wife,moon)..

But dany moon of drogo's life sacrificed drogo her sun and stars for dragons I.e, light bringer .

These are very strong similarities to ignore 

8 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Wasn't there a SSM or something similar that proposed that and editor (or any readers) could figure out Jon's mother from just the first book? Is that not a valid test anymore?

I seem to recall that GRRM's editor has previously stated in an interview that she figured it out using the first book only. 

14 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Wasn't there a SSM or something similar that proposed that and editor (or any readers) could figure out Jon's mother from just the first book? Is that not a valid test anymore?

5 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I seem to recall that GRRM's editor has previously stated in an interview that she figured it out using the first book only. 

According to Ran, in the annotated edition of AGoT that was available on an app called Subtext, Anne mentions that during the editing of AGoT, Martin asked her if she figured out who Jon's parents are. She gave her answer and Martin confirmed that she was correct.

19 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Stupid question...Nissa Nissa was part of the creation of Lightbringer.  Why does there need to be another Nissa Nissa?  If Lightbringer is Jon, Dany, Dragons, or the NW or anything/anyone else that's already in existence why would they need to recreate that step of the process?

8 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Stupid question...Nissa Nissa was part of the creation of Lightbringer.  Why does there need to be another Nissa Nissa?  If Lightbringer is Jon, Dany, Dragons, or the NW or anything/anyone else that's already in existence why would they need to recreate that step of the process?

I don't believe the forging of Lightbringer provides a step-by-step foreshadowing. Others do. But I do believe the tale suggests that our hero or heroine will need to make a great sacrifice. Daenerys did not really sacrifice Drogo. He was dying of a wound in battle that festered. She tried to have him revived by sorcery, and only killed him after he had become a vegetable. Her actions may have led to the stillbirth of her expectant child, but she was not purposefully sacrificing him. 

Jon Snow did sacrifice Ygritte. He did not kill her, but he abandoned her to her fate. Was this sufficient? I don't really know, but it could be. 

22 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

Stupid question...Nissa Nissa was part of the creation of Lightbringer.  Why does there need to be another Nissa Nissa?  

There doesn't.  There might be, but that's not part of any of the prophecy as far as we know.  People just like parallelism.

3 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I don't believe the forging of Lightbringer provides a step-by-step foreshadowing. Others do. But I do believe the tale suggests that our hero or heroine will need to make a great sacrifice. Daenerys did not really sacrifice Drogo. He was dying of a wound in battle that festered. She tried to have him revived by sorcery, and only killed him after he had become a vegetable. Her actions may have led to the stillbirth of her expectant child, but she was not purposefully sacrificing him. 

Jon Snow did sacrifice Ygritte. He did not kill her, but he abandoned her to her fate. Was this sufficient? I don't really know, but it could be. 

Gotchya.  Thanks!  If Lightbringer is Dany or Jon I would think that their mother's dying to birth them would be the sacrifice that brought them into existence.  But if they're Lightbringer than they are the tool of AA and not AA themselves.  Fn prophecies!  :)

FWIW I don't think Rhaego was a sacrifice.  I think he was the result of Valyrians breeding with other races similar to the Ibbenese.  MMD was the sacrifice IMO.  I agree with you about Drogo.

21 minutes ago, DarkSister1001 said:

MMD was the sacrifice

Then you would need to say that Slynt was a sacrifice, too.  I don't believe either fit the description of a sacrifice.  But, keep digging you may actually find one.  ;) 

4 minutes ago, MtnLion said:

Then you would need to say that Slynt was a sacrifice, too.  I don't believe either fit the description of a sacrifice.  But, keep digging you may actually find one.  ;) 

MMD was an offering but not a true sacrifice felt by Daenerys. 

What seat was planned for Trystane/Myrcella had all gone well for Martell/Lannister?  Or was Doran always going to remove Myrcella somehow if  Quentyn/Dany or Arianne/Aegon worked out and find something else for Trystane?  I guess if Quent is dead and Aegon is King in Kingslanding with Arianne then Trystane gets Sunspear but that is a lot to expect (even though it may be the case...for a minute or two).  

5 minutes ago, Rob Storm said:

What seat was planned for Trystane/Myrcella had all gone well for Martell/Lannister?  Or was Doran always going to remove Myrcella somehow if  Quentyn/Dany or Arianne/Aegon worked out and find something else for Trystane?  I guess if Quent is dead and Aegon is King in Kingslanding with Arianne then Trystane gets Sunspear but that is a lot to expect (even though it may be the case...for a minute or two).  

With Myrcella, Martel might be able to exercise a claim to Casterly Rock. 

Archived