Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

14 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

In all of the tourneys we've seen so far, I believe that's the case. 

Thanks LM. I had been browsing around looking at the Tourney at Storms End and got a bit confused and it seems Barristan did, also.

18 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

Not a series question I know, but is there any way to change the typeface of the text when making a topic? I'm trying to copy-paste something from Word but I can't get the text to change to forum-default. Please help!

Failing that, what typeface should I change the Word document to so that it pastes neatly into the forum?

I'm also putting this in a thread in the Help forum, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could help me out here!

Thanks!

I find it helpful (removing formatting and links) to copy to notepad, first, then copy from notepad to the forum editor. 

Do we know which of the Twins hosted the main feast during the Red Wedding and if both castles have high seats for Walder Frey?

AGOT Catelyn IX, Robb's army approaches the Twins from the northeast and Cat meets Walder in the eastern castle.

When the Lord of the Crossing welcomed Catelyn in the great hall of the east castle ....

They shifted Lord Walder from his litter and carried him to the high seat of the Freys, a tall chair of black oak whose back was carved in the shape of two towers linked by a bridge.

ASOS Catelyn VI, Robb's army approaches the Twins from the southwest.

Four Freys rode out from the western gatehouse, wrapped in heavy cloaks of thick grey wool.

ASOS Catelyn VI, Robb and Cat are brought before Walder in his high seat, but the specific castle isn't mentioned.

Gout and brittle bones had taken their toll of old Walder Frey. They found him propped up in his high seat with a cushion beneath him and an ermine robe across his lap. His chair was black oak, its back carved into the semblance of two stout towers joined by an arched bridge, so massive that its embrace turned the old man into a grotesque child.

ASOS Catelyn VI, three tents will be raised on the far bank for Robb's men.

Nonetheless, your men shall not be neglected. If they will cross and set up their camp beside our own, we will bring out enough casks of wine and ale for all to drink the health of Lord Edmure and his bride. We have thrown up three great feast tents on the far bank, to provide them with some shelter from the rains."

AOS Catelyn VI, from the Water Tower in the middle of the bridge, Cat sees Robb's men exit the eastern castle to encamp on the east bank of the Green Fork.

Catelyn went to the window and gazed out, to watch Robb's host emerge from the eastern twin.

ASOS Arya X, the Hound and Arya arrive at the camps from the southeast and they hear different music from the two castles.

The road had been running mostly northwest, but now it turned due west between an apple orchard and a field of drowned corn beaten down by the rain. They passed the last of the apple trees and crested a rise, and the castles, river, and camps all appeared at once. There were hundreds of horses and thousands of men, most of them milling about the three huge feast tents that stood side by side facing the castle gates, like three great canvas longhalls ...

The music from the castles was louder here. The sound of the drums and horns rolled across the camp. The musicians in the nearer castle were playing a different song than the ones in the castle on the far bank, though, so it sounded more like a battle than a song.

ASOS Catelyn VII, the highborn nobles like Robb and Cat are feasting with Walder and Edmure in one castle, while lesser nobles are in the other castle, but their directions aren't named from what I've found.

The cramped hall was in a constant uproar of guests and servants coming and going. A second feast, for knights and lords of somewhat lesser rank, was roaring along in the other castle, she knew. Lord Walder had exiled his baseborn children and their offspring to that side of the river, so that Robb's northmen had taken to referring to it as "the bastard feast." Some guests were no doubt stealing off to see if the bastards were having a better time than they were. Some might even be venturing as far as the camps. The Freys had provided wagons of wine, ale, and mead, so the common soldiers could drink to the wedding of Riverrun and the Twins.

ASOS Catelyn VII, the wedding feast is in one of the castles' great halls, since he is on his high seat.

Seated betwixt his black oak towers, the Lord of the Crossing clapped his spotted hands together

So, the eastern castle definitely has a black oak tower seat (AGOT). Robb and Catelyn are brought before Walder on a tower seat when they return to the Twins from the west, but the specific hall isn't mentioned. One castle hosts Robb and Edmure and the other hosts "the bastard feast". Walder is seated on a tower seat during the RW (ASOS).

2 hours ago, Remiem said:

Is Beric still Lord of Blackhaven? 

Surely being a traitor to the Crown they would have stripped him of his lands and titles and given them to someone more 'loyal'.

Or do you think a castellan still holds it for him, or maybe he had an heir? 

The A Dance with Dragons appendix still lists Beric as the Lord of Blackhaven, so it would seem he still holds that title. I would assume that this is because his death has not yet been officially confirmed to the people in Westeros (due to the fact that he was reported to be dead so many times, and then appeared again).

25 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Is the R+L=J thread no longer worthy of being pinned at the top?

It seems that when the last one was locked nobody bothered to make another. I guess I'll do it. Though having it pinned doesn't seem to do much to stop the various other threads on the subject from popping up. Maybe at this point they should just let it float around like the other theory threads. 

Does anyone know why Patrek Mallister isn't knighted? He is certainly old enough but I don't recall him ever being called ser and it seems odd someone his age who is good enough to fight in Robb's personal guard wouldn't be a knight.

On 7 June 2016 at 7:40 PM, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

The A Dance with Dragons appendix still lists Beric as the Lord of Blackhaven, so it would seem he still holds that title. I would assume that this is because his death has not yet been officially confirmed to the people in Westeros (due to the fact that he was reported to be dead so many times, and then appeared again).

Isn't he in the list of names Joffrey demands swear fealty to him in GoT, who are subsequently stripped of their land and titles?

53 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Isn't he in the list of names Joffrey demands swear fealty to him in GoT, who are subsequently stripped of their land and titles?

He is mentioned as one of those who has to come swear fealty at the start of Joffrey's reign, but it is only a call for swearing fealthy. His seat is not taken from him in that moment (that only happens to Lady Whent and Harrenhal). I currently don't recall whether the matter of Blackhaven is brought up during a later instance in the series.

Is the sigil of House Forrester mentioned only in the Telltale games?

22 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

We can presume, however, that he was attainted by King Joffrey for not following the royal command, can't we? 

Then why is he stil llisted as the Lord of Blackhaven in the ADWD appendix? That would suggest he was still officially considered the Lord of Blackhaven at the start of ADWD, right?

4 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is the sigil of House Forrester mentioned only in the Telltale games?

Correct, they're only briefly mentioned in The King's Prize: "The army covered twenty-two miles the first day, by the reckoning of the guides Lady Sybelle had given them, trackers and hunters sworn to Deepwood with clan names like Forrester and Woods, Branch and Bole."

Archived