Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

1 hour ago, The Wolves said:

Have GRRM announced any other books for ASOIAF besides more Dunk and Egg stories and Fire And Blood

There's supposed to be one called The Winds of Winter, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

In 2007 he was apparently open to writing other stories in the world. I also remember a more recent interview where he said that for now he's just focusing on the main series and Dunk & Egg. I think he said he'd have to see once all those were done if he wasn't burnt out on the Song of Ice and Fire universe by that point. Can't find the interview now though. 

5 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

What's 'Fire and Blood'?

A book that he hopes to release after the main series is done. It'd be a detailed history of the Targaryens. I might be misunderstanding, but I believe that The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince are essentially excerpts from this book. 

Just now, RumHam said:

There's supposed to be one called The Winds of Winter, but I'll believe it when I see it. 

In 2007 he was apparently open to writing other stories in the world. I also remember a more recent interview where he said that for now he's just focusing on the main series and Dunk & Egg. I think he said he'd have to see once all those were done if he wasn't burnt out on the Song of Ice and Fire universe by that point. Can't find the interview now though. 

A book that he hopes to release after the main series is done. It'd be a detailed history of the Targaryens. I might be misunderstanding, but I believe that The Princess and the Queen and The Rogue Prince are essentially excerpts from this book. 

Both great stories. Nice.

8 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Is the sigil of House Forrester mentioned only in the Telltale games?

Then why is he stil llisted as the Lord of Blackhaven in the ADWD appendix? That would suggest he was still officially considered the Lord of Blackhaven at the start of ADWD, right?

Well, isn't Jon Snow listed as Eddard Stark's son? The Appendices are I clued for readers who don't use the Wiki (cause they're no crazy like us) to keep the players straight no? Besides, dude's dead... I mean ain't no gettin' up dead. 

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Well, isn't Jon Snow listed as Eddard Stark's son? The Appendices are I clued for readers who don't use the Wiki (cause they're no crazy like us) to keep the players straight no? Besides, dude's dead... I mean ain't no gettin' up dead. 

Well, as far as the Westerosi are aware, Jon is Eddard's bastard son :) Perhaps by the start of ADWD the royal court had not yet received confirmation about Beric's death. That might have changed over the entire course of the book, of course.

22 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Then why is he stil llisted as the Lord of Blackhaven in the ADWD appendix? That would suggest he was still officially considered the Lord of Blackhaven at the start of ADWD, right?

A comparable case is Bryce Caron. He died at the Blackwater, but they had both his dead body and the person who defeated him, Philip Foote. Foote got Nightsong from the Crown. Though Rolland Storm is contesting that. 

In the case of Beric, they don't have a dead body and don't have a logical/obvious person to grant Blackhaven to. We also don't know who was holding it for Beric, maybe they are a badass. (The Crown and/or GRRM may have just forgotten to attainder Beric.)

55 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

A comparable case is Bryce Caron. He died at the Blackwater, but they had both his dead body and the person who defeated him, Philip Foote. Foote got Nightsong from the Crown. Though Rolland Storm is contesting that. 

In the case of Beric, they don't have a dead body and don't have a logical/obvious person to grant Blackhaven to. We also don't know who was holding it for Beric, maybe they are a badass. (The Crown and/or GRRM may have just forgotten to attainder Beric.)

I think it's pretty low priority too.  They could have figured out who should hold it, but they're not going to send any military strngth to press that claim.  Even if it is lightly held.  Or maybe whoever Beric's heir is went ahead and pledged fealty, but that wasn't important enough for anyone to notice.

Isn't Bran Stark technically King in The North now? I know most of the Northern Lords (Beside Roose Bolton if Reek told him the truth in the books) believe him dead, but he is isn't he? 

or do you need to be proclaimed King by your vassals like King Robb?

Also, forgive me for this ignorant question, but since Brans a Cripple can he still sire children???

29 minutes ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

Isn't Bran Stark technically King in The North now? I know most of the Northern Lords (Beside Roose Bolton if Reek told him the truth in the books) believe him dead, but he is isn't he? 

Also, forgive me for this ignorant question, but since Brans a Cripple can he still sire children???

You could say he's the rightful King in the North, if that kingdom still exists. But I would suggest that if nobody knows you are their king, you're no king at all. 

I don't think we know enough about Bran's paralysis to be sure if he could impregnate someone. Given his current situation and the fact that he seems to be preparing to become part of a tree's root system, it's probably a moot point. 

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

You could say he's the rightful King in the North, if that kingdom still exists. But I would suggest that if nobody knows you are their king, you're no king at all. 

I don't think we know enough about Bran's paralysis to be sure if he could impregnate someone. Given his current situation and the fact that he seems to be preparing to become part of a tree's root system, it's probably a moot point. 

Ah, and so Rickon is the last true hope for the Stark line then. Which brings me to another question. Has there ever been a Lady of the North? I'm not excatly sure how it works when theres a Lady Paramount and her passing on her name( I.E Stark,Arryn,Targaryen, etc...)

I know in the Lannister house history there was a King of the Rock who died with no sons, so his title pass to his only daughter who married an Andal Lord who took on his wife Lannister name, and before he became Lord of the Rock, Gerold Lannister was regent for his niece Lady Cerelle before her mysterious death, also Lady Jeyne Arryn who supported Rhaenyra Targaryen in the Dance.

7 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

Ah, and so Rickon is the last true hope for the Stark line then. Which brings me to another question. Has there ever been a Lady of the North? I'm not excatly sure how it works when theres a Lady Paramount and her passing on her name( I.E Stark,Arryn,Targaryen, etc...)

I know in the Lannister house history there was a King of the Rock who died with no sons, so his title pass to his only daughter who married an Andal Lord who took on his wife Lannister name, and before he became Lord of the Rock, Gerold Lannister was regent for his niece Lady Cerelle before her mysterious death, also Lady Jeyne Arryn who supported Rhaenyra Targaryen in the Dance.

There's due to be another Dunk & Egg book call "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" (or some such) that I think would have addressed this point, but I believe it's not due out until after TWOW.

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

There's due to be another Dunk & Egg book call "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" (or some such) that I think would have addressed this point, but I believe it's not due out until after TWOW.

I don't know where I got this from but IIRC during the time Dunk and Egg are heading for the north, the Lord of Winterfell is a young Stark boy, who surrounded by nothing but Stark women and they pretty much run things tho.

I believe I got that knowldge from the fourm here.

EDIT: I got it from here. I did get some of the details wrong, tho they do sound cooler to me XD http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/The_She-Wolves_of_Winterfell

10 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

According to Eddard:

But  he will  never  run  beside  his  wolf  again,  he  thought  with  a  sadness  too  deep for  words,  or  lie  with  a woman, or hold his own son in his arms. 

9 hours ago, Sir Matthis Light said:

When Brandon the Daugterless died, his grandson inherited, instead of his daughter.  I don't think there are any other northern examples for House Stark. We do know that Lady Hornwood and Dustin rule in their own right, but it appears that is only because there are no clear heirs.  Alys Karstark will inherit, should her brother die childless, though.

8 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

1. Is this the longest small questions thread ever? 

2. Do we know for sure one way or the other whether there is a bunch more wildfire buried in secret caches under King's Landing? 

1. I think so. At least the longest in a very long time

2. It is still being discovered as of Clash, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn there are more still. IIRC, the ones underneath the Sept of Baelor and the Dragonpit were found, but we hear nothing about the wildfire underneath the city gates, or the Red Keep itself. So perhaps those are still there.

16 hours ago, RumHam said:

It seems to be implied that Bran will be incapable of fathering children:

"No," Ned said. He saw no use in lying to her. "Yet someday he may be the lord of a great holdfast and sit on the king's council. He might raise castles like Brandon the Builder, or sail a ship across the Sunset Sea, or enter your mother's Faith and become the High Septon." But he will never run beside his wolf again, he thought with a sadness too deep for words, or lie with a woman, or hold his own son in his arms.

I don't remember the exact quote, but isn't it said somewhere that Bran needs help to go to the toilet etc?

Yeah Rhaenys posted that too. I'd like to think Ned is just assuming, and that Luwin didn't try to test whether Bran could get an erection. I assume he can't father children either, but I'm not sure. He hasn't even hit puberty yet. I know there are people in wheelchairs who still have sex. I don't think it's totally impossible. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Yeah Rhaenys posted that too. I'd like to think Ned is just assuming, and that Luwin didn't try to test whether Bran could get an erection. I assume he can't father children either, but I'm not sure. He hasn't even hit puberty yet. I know there are people in wheelchairs who still have sex. I don't think it's totally impossible. 

Yeah this is why I asked, cause I wasn't exactly sure just how paralyss he is. But regardless it seems like Brans future for continuing the Stark line is kinda bleak.

I'm gonna throw my lot in with the "Cute Kid" Rickon, I just hope it make it out alive in the books. I know house Lannister is gonna have something to worry about if he grows up to become Lord of Winterfell.

Archived