Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

15 minutes ago, Lrd Commander Midnight said:

Do we know who it was that traded Pate the gold coin for the old iorn key that he stole from underneath archmaester Walgrave's bed? 

The mysterious stranger casts some kind of spell or does something to cause Pate to pass out. He must have some kind of powers.

You tell me...

“I do. My time is done.” Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls.

Clash 47

He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man’s face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears. It was not a face Pate recognized. “I do not know you.”

Feast Prologue

On Monday, July 04, 2016 at 11:16 PM, Shireen Purratheon said:

Myrish firewine is mentioned in DWD. We see boiled wine used to disinfect wounds all over the place, so it seems conceivable they could be the same.

Seems most likely, thanks 

4 hours ago, Lrd Commander Midnight said:

Do we know who it was that traded Pate the gold coin for the old iorn key that he stole from underneath archmaester Walgrave's bed? 

The mysterious stranger casts some kind of spell or does something to cause Pate to pass out. He must have some kind of powers.

To add to what LM said, it's most likely Pate didn't just "pass out" but that he died and his face was taken by the Faceless Man we know as Jaqen H'gar. The "Pate" Sam meets at the end of a Feast for Crows is really "Faceless Pate"

20 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Why didn't Roose Bolton retake Torrhen's Square?

Fighting/killing Ironborn will only endear him more to Northerns.

I would think rebuilding Winterfell, wedding his house to Stark, and then withstanding Stannis to be the better play. Unfortunately for the backstabber, everyone knows he's a snake in the grass, his son is a shit, and Stannis is going to outguile him. 

I am not quite sure who is Jon Snow's father? I have read that he is a Targaryen yet I can't recall a moment in the series where it was mentioned that it was not Ned Stark..

By the way, I have made a very difficult quiz of Game of Thrones where you can test your knowledge on the series and compare your results with your friends!

Can there be a sub-forum for the endless litany of boring, idiotic, and pointless "What-if" fan-fic threads?

No one wants to know how the story was different if Ghost was actually bit off only one finger of the Greatjon's or if Roose Bolton was actually just a ventriloquist dummy made out of cheese.  Though I am sure either of those would irrevocably change the entire story.

3 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Can there be a sub-forum for the endless litany of boring, idiotic, and pointless "What-if" fan-fic threads?

No one wants to know how the story was different if Ghost was actually bit off only one finger of the Greatjon's or if Roose Bolton was actually just a ventriloquist dummy made out of cheese.  Though I am sure either of those would irrevocably change the entire story.

Hmm... But what if there really was a sub-forum for the endless litany of boring, idiotic, and pointless "what if" threads? How would that alter the intellectual discourse within these forums? 

Btw... I'm really liking the Roose Bolton vdmooc theory. Now that I've abbreviated it, it's a valid mainstream theory.   

1 hour ago, BricksAndSparrows said:

When they say Aegon the Unworthy "Legitimized" his bastards, I don't quite understand what that means. The bastards were never styled as Prince or Princess. They didn't take on the name Targaryen. So what is the difference?

Just that they are no longer bastards. It (theoretically) removes the social stigma and greatly improves their claims to the throne. Had Daemon not been legitimized he probably never would have gathered enough support to eventually rebel. 

I'm pretty sure any of his bastards had the right to call themselves "Targaryen" at that point. We don't know why the Great Bastards (that we know of) did not, or if they did not. For all we know Aegor Rivers considered himself Aegor Targaryen and it just never caught on in the way that Bittersteel did. I'd be really surprised if none of his not-so-great bastards took the Targaryen name. But then again if they couldn't prove Aegon was their father then they might face punishment for it. And how could you really prove that if you're the son of one of his one night stands? 

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Just that they are no longer bastards. It (theoretically) removes the social stigma and greatly improves their claims to the throne. Had Daemon not been legitimized he probably never would have gathered enough support to eventually rebel. 

I'm pretty sure any of his bastards had the right to call themselves "Targaryen" at that point. We don't know why the Great Bastards (that we know of) did not, or if they did not. For all we know Aegor Rivers considered himself Aegor Targaryen and it just never caught on in the way that Bittersteel did. I'd be really surprised if none of his not-so-great bastards took the Targaryen name. But then again if they couldn't prove Aegon was their father then they might face punishment for it. And how could you really prove that if you're the son of one of his one night stands? 

Or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that Aegon legitimized them only on his deathbed, and they might have felt it would be insulting to the new monarch Daeron, if they took the Targaryen name. 

Or possibly, in for example Aegor's case, he did not take the Targaryen name because he disagreed with Daeron's rule, and thus did not want to be associated with the Targaryen name, opting to keep "Rivers" instead.

Being legitimized does not mean you have to take your noble parent's name, after all :) 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

Does anyone know of a thread proposing a theory that Bran the Builder was just Bran using his time traveling greenseer powers?

Can't think of ever having seen one..

10 minutes ago, LordImp said:

What happens with a warg when he is inside his animal when it's killed ? Does the warg goes mad or something ?

Well, you can take Varamyr as an example:

Haggon’s rough voice echoed in his head. “You will die a dozen deaths, boy, and every one will hurt … but when your true death comes, you will live again. The second life is simpler and sweeter, they say.”
Varamyr Sixskins would know the truth of that soon enough. He could taste his true death in the smoke that hung acrid in the air, feel it in the heat beneath his fingers when he slipped a hand under his clothes to touch his wound. The chill was in him too, though, deep down in his bones. This time it would be cold that killed him.
His last death had been by fire. I burned. At first, in his confusion, he thought some archer on the Wall had pierced him with a flaming arrow … but the fire had been inside him, consuming him. And the pain …
Varamyr had died nine times before. He had died once from a spear thrust, once with a bear’s teeth in his throat, and once in a wash of blood as he brought forth a stillborn cub. He died his first death when he was only six, as his father’s axe crashed through his skull. Even that had not been so agonizing as the fire in his guts, crackling along his wings, devouring him. When he tried to fly from it, his terror fanned the flames and made them burn hotter. One moment he had been soaring above the Wall, his eagle’s eyes marking the movements of the men below. Then the flames had turned his heart into a blackened cinder and sent his spirit screaming back into his own skin, and for a little while he’d gone mad. Even the memory was enough to make him shudder.

50 minutes ago, LordImp said:

What happens with a warg when he is inside his animal when it's killed ? Does the warg goes mad or something ?

Read the prologue to A dance with dragons. They describe it in detail. It's happens to Varrymyr (sp?) when Melisandre kills his hawk during the battle beneath the wall.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

Or perhaps it had something to do with the fact that Aegon legitimized them only on his deathbed, and they might have felt it would be insulting to the new monarch Daeron, if they took the Targaryen name. 

Or possibly, in for example Aegor's case, he did not take the Targaryen name because he disagreed with Daeron's rule, and thus did not want to be associated with the Targaryen name, opting to keep "Rivers" instead.

Being legitimized does not mean you have to take your noble parent's name, after all :) 

I don't know though, with SO MANY kids..not a one thought to name themselves Targaryen?

7 minutes ago, Drekinn said:

Bastards don't have the best reputation in Westeros so even with the Targaryen name they wouldn't go far, let alone sit on the throne.

Yet Daemon Blackfyre came very very close to doing just that. You are right that bastardy is a significant setback, but I don't think it is insurmountable

Archived