Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

31 minutes ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

If you are the next male in line to a house of landed knights, can you inherit if you're not a knight?

I'm thinking of Gregor and Sandor Clegane. If Gregor had died, would Sandor have been his heir even though he isn't a knight?

I don't see why not. They'd just be Master of the land instead of "Knight of..." Like in the north. 

12 hours ago, Winter Rose Crown said:

If you are the next male in line to a house of landed knights, can you inherit if you're not a knight?

I'm thinking of Gregor and Sandor Clegane. If Gregor had died, would Sandor have been his heir even though he isn't a knight?

Sure. Being a knight or not does not preclude owning property. If Gregor died intestate, with no wife and no kids, Sandor would be next to inherit.

It might have been asked before but:

how do we call inhabitants of the Reach? searching through https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ I tried reachman, reacher or even reachling and I am surprised there isn't a word like dornishman, northerner etc.

Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure how to call people from the Vale or the Stormlands. Any idea?

1 hour ago, Anton Martell said:

It might have been asked before but:

how do we call inhabitants of the Reach? searching through https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ I tried reachman, reacher or even reachling and I am surprised there isn't a word like dornishman, northerner etc.

Actually now that I think about it I'm not sure how to call people from the Vale or the Stormlands. Any idea?

Valemen and Stormlanders I believe.  Hmmm I found this.

It was cool and dim inside the castle walls. An ancient weirwood filled the yard, as it had since these stones had first been raised. The carved face on its trunk was grown over by the same purple moss that hung heavy from the tree's pale limbs. Half of the branches seemed dead, but elsewhere a few red leaves still rustled, and it was there the ravens liked to perch. The tree was full of them, and there were more in the arched windows overhead, all around the yard. The ground was speckled by their droppings. As they crossed the yard, one flapped overhead and he heard the others quorking to each other. "Archmaester Walgrave has his chambers in the west tower, below the white rookery," Alleras told him. "The white ravens and the black ones quarrel like Dornishmen and Marchers, so they keep them apart."

Marchers are a specific group of Lords of the Reach and the Stormlands.

When Torrhen Stark reached the banks of the Trident, he found a host half again the size of his own awaiting him south of the river. Riverlords, westermen, stormlanders, men of the Reach...all had come. And above their camp Balerion, Meraxes, and Vhagar prowled the sky in ever-widening circles.

Men of the Reach I guess.

14 hours ago, Lord Wraith said:

Valemen and Stormlanders I believe.  Hmmm I found this.

Marchers are a specific group of Lords of the Reach and the Stormlands.

Men of the Reach I guess.

Thanks for the answer! I knew about marchers but it doesn't apply to house Oakheart for example, so I guess men of the reach will have to do ;)

1 hour ago, mystickristoff said:

Is the Catspaw an assassin organization just like the Sorrowful men or the Faceless Men?

To the best of our knowledge no. Just someone Joffrey gave the dagger and silver to kill Bran. That is the commonly accepted theory. There is nothing to my knowledge to suggest that he was a member of any assassin guild.

1 hour ago, mystickristoff said:

... why say "unnamed catspaw/footpad" when you can just say unnamed assassin? That's what made me wonder

My take is that an 'assassin' implies a professional, while catspaws and footpads are not professionals. A catspaw is someone you use to do your dirty work and a footpad is someone who waylays people walking on the road. Both titles imply they aren't the best type of person to hire if it's important the victim is killed.

21 minutes ago, sciteacher said:

My take is that an 'assassin' implies a professional, while catspaws and footpads are not professionals. A catspaw is someone you use to do your dirty work and a footpad is someone who waylays people walking on the road. Both titles imply they aren't the best type of person to hire if it's important the victim is killed.

This. Catspaw is a generic term. 

I was browsing SSMs and came across this question about ASOS

"You should know that even after all this time, we're still debating things like who was behind the assassination attempt on Bran. Not to mention trying to figure out the four weddings, four trials, and two funeral."

Submitted by Jeff on April 29, 2000

Which are the four trials? All I can think of are (1) Hound's trial by combat (2) Tyrion's trial by judges (3) Tyrion's trial by combat (4) ?

I suppose the other categories refers to

Weddings: (1) Sansa-Tyrion (2) Edmure-Roslin (3) Joffrey-Margaery (4) Lysa-Petyr

Funerals: (1) Hoster Tully (2) Joffrey

14 hours ago, Hos the Hostage said:

I was browsing SSMs and came across this question about ASOS

Which are the four trials? All I can think of are (1) Hound's trial by combat (2) Tyrion's trial by judges (3) Tyrion's trial by combat (4) ?

I suppose the other categories refers to

Weddings: (1) Sansa-Tyrion (2) Edmure-Roslin (3) Joffrey-Margaery (4) Lysa-Petyr

Funerals: (1) Hoster Tully (2) Joffrey

Let's see, first we had Joffrey vs. Arya, then we had Beric vs. Sandor, and we had Cersei vs. Tyrion. I don't believe Gregor vs. Oberyn was a separate trial. I don't recall a fourth...

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Let's see, first we had Joffrey vs. Arya, then we had Beric vs. Sandor, and we had Cersei vs. Tyrion. I don't believe Gregor vs. Oberyn was a separate trial. I don't recall a fourth...

Joffrey vs Arya was in AGOT. All these four trials are supposed to be in ASOS. Looking back, I wonder if the fourth is Jon vs Janos Slynt - Slynt brings Rattleshirt as a 'witness' and charges Jon of treason, so it was at least a mock of a trial. Martin said these are not necessarily proper trials - (paraphrasing) "Don't expect Ser Perry of House Mason to turn up and debate the finer points of law". If Tyrion vs Cersei was a single trial, there is one more trial missing from ASOS.

Archived