Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Actually I just found it...It wasn't Luwin, it was Lord Commander Mormont in conversation with Tyrion.

“When I was a boy,” Tyrion replied, “my wet nurse told me that one day, if men were good, the gods would give the world a summer without ending. Perhaps we’ve been better than we thought, and the Great Summer is finally at hand.” He grinned.

The Lord Commander did not seem amused. “You are not fool enough to believe that, my lord. Already the days grow shorter. There can be no mistake, Aemon has had letters from the Citadel, findings in accord with his own. The end of summer stares us in the face.” Mormont reached out and clutched Tyrion tightly by the hand. “You must make them understand. I tell you, my lord, the darkness is coming. There are wild things in the woods, direwolves and mammoths and snow bears the size of aurochs, and I have seen darker shapes in my dreams.”

In Bran's last chapter we also learn that the days have grown much shorter around the cave. We don't know how that works but it is not very likely that this has anything to do with the movement of the planet considering that years are completely independent of the seasons in this world.

15 hours ago, TheLastLibrarian said:

Dear book readers, do you think that Sansa is GRRM's best kept secret? thanks

How so? I think she is one of his best uses of unreliable narrator, but that isn't much of a secret these days.

13 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Is it only me who thinks that there is a great resemblance between the words "Azor Ahai" and  "Ahura Mazda", I know that there are theories that GRRM based the red god religion in the book on the Zoroastrianism

I've gotta admit, the different religions, including the zoroastrianism, that is used in the story fascinates me... and I don't know why because I am rather aggy myself. I used to have a few good threads on this bookmarked, but I lost them a few months back.

One thing that always gave me the good-chills was the zoroastrian use of stone statues to represent the god at one point in that time. Reminds me of the crypts under WInterfell.

There is this from the wiki...

According to George R. R. Martin, this religion's dualistic aspects of a good and an evil god are inspired by Zoroastrianism, along with the Cathars of Medieval Europe who were annihilated during the Albigensian Crusade.[21][22]

58 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I've gotta admit, the different religions, including the zoroastrianism, that is used in the story fascinates me... and I don't know why because I am rather aggy myself. I used to have a few good threads on this bookmarked, but I lost them a few months back.

Thank you very much for your detailed answer, it helped me a lot

If I can put a modest contibution about religions and ASOIAF (maybe you already knew it), I think the practices of washing in the water and pouring in the the drowned god can be closely related to the same practices in a real religion called the Sabian Mandaeans

Thank you again :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

Thank you very much for your detailed answer, it helped me a lot

If I can put a modest contibution about religions and ASOIAF (maybe you already knew it), I think the practices of washing in the water and pouring in the the drowned god can be closely related to a real religion called the Sabians

Thank you again :thumbsup:

No problem.

I am not familiar with the Sabians, nor have I heard them used in refrence to ASOIAF, but that doesn't mean 'no', just that I have not seen it.

Maybe some other smarty-pants out there does know more about these connections?

46 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

No problem.

I am not familiar with the Sabians, nor have I heard them used in refrence to ASOIAF, but that doesn't mean 'no', just that I have not seen it.

Maybe some other smarty-pants out there does know more about these connections?

Sabians? Never heard of 'em. Sound like Alabama Crimson Tide fans. Bunch of nuts. 

Has ithe been discussed whether or not it was possible for Ned to of know what would transpire at the ToJ? Can there possibly be any thing more to the "Now it ends" line he delivers to the SotM prior to their fight? Almost like he knew for a certainty him and his boys would come out on top or was he sure of their numbers alone?

4 minutes ago, jobmartell said:

Has ithe been discussed whether or not it was possible for Ned to of know what would transpire at the ToJ? Can there possibly be any thing more to the "Now it ends" line he delivers to the SotM prior to their fight? Almost like he knew for a certainty him and his boys would come out on top or was he sure of their numbers alone?

He says "Now it ends" in the dream, but I don't think it's likely that he actually said that before the skirmish. The dream is not a totally accurate reflection of what took place all those years ago.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Concerning_the_Tower_of_Joy

46 minutes ago, Sly Wren said:

I've seen a few references to Martin's confirming that Dany is definitely Aerys and/or Rhaella's daughter.

But I can't find the SSM.

Does anyone have that?

Personally I don't remember that one. It's a hard thing to search for too, being a pretty well established fact. There are lots of mentions of Dany being Aerys's and Rhaella's daughter on the internet. But I can't find Martin explicitly stating it. If such an SSM exists I'd imagine it'd have to be someone asking him about the possibility of Daenerys having another father. That she was born to her mother on Dragonstone during a terrible storms seems pretty well established. 

Archived