Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

This question relates to this quote in Clash.

He had led men in war, hunted with a king, won honor in tourney melees, ridden with Brynden Blackfish and Greatjon Umber, fought in the Whispering Wood, bedded more girls than he could name, and yet this uncle was treating him as though he were still a child of ten.

Theon I, A Clash of Kings

Specifically the bold. This struck me as incredibly odd. It is well known that tourney's very rarely if ever take place in both the North and the Iron Islands, and while Eddard Stark did take Theon Greyjoy with him for visits to various Northern lords Ned wouldn't have had any reason to take Theon south, to the best of my knowledge. The only instance I can of think of where Theon might have taken part in tourney's was during his time in the Riverlands with Robb, but considering Catelyn's surprise and judgement of Renly hosting the melee at Bitterbridge I find this unlikely.

So basically, where and how would Theon have had the time and opportunity to compete in Tourney's?

10 hours ago, Oakhearts head said:

This question relates to this quote in Clash.

Theon I, A Clash of Kings

Specifically the bold. This struck me as incredibly odd. It is well known that tourney's very rarely if ever take place in both the North and the Iron Islands, and while Eddard Stark did take Theon Greyjoy with him for visits to various Northern lords Ned wouldn't have had any reason to take Theon south, to the best of my knowledge. The only instance I can of think of where Theon might have taken part in tourney's was during his time in the Riverlands with Robb, but considering Catelyn's surprise and judgement of Renly hosting the melee at Bitterbridge I find this unlikely.

So basically, where and how would Theon have had the time and opportunity to compete in Tourney's?

IIRC, there are tourneys in the North, just that there are no tilts (jousting), since there's few knights (because of religion); however northern tourneys are mostly melee. 

6 hours ago, Cersei's Nachos said:

Small question relating to pronunciation (sorry if there is already a topic for this, couldn't find anything). How is Arya pronounced? Is it like GoT's Cat Aar - Yah, or like other characters say it? Ah--rya.

AR-ya

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Pronunciation_guide#Arya

7 hours ago, Cersei's Nachos said:

Small question relating to pronunciation (sorry if there is already a topic for this, couldn't find anything). How is Arya pronounced? Is it like GoT's Cat Aar - Yah, or like other characters say it? Ah--rya.

@Horse of Kent is exactly right.

Also we can just listen to George. He says Ar-ya.

More analysis on Arya's name:

http://donewithwoodenteeth.tumblr.com/post/70283042164/arya-whats-in-a-name

40 minutes ago, Cersei's Nachos said:

Thank you guys, appreciate it ^^ That guide is very useful actually *proceeds to read and realize that I have been saying a good bunch of names wrong*

Don't sweat it. Some of those in the list are probably still wrong. GRRM has acknowledged (probably tongue in cheek, but still) that he's not authoritative regarding pronunciation because of his Jersey accent and I wouldn't count the show as canon (although it probably has popularized and standardized many of the names). Regarding the audiobooks, GRRM has said that they consulted him on the harder names, but got the easy ones wrong! (e.g. "Damfair")

I for one refuse to accept Tyrion's pronunciation as ['tɪəɹiən] TEER-ee-ən; having the particle "Ty" in his name, I think it should be pronounced as Tywin ['taɪwɪn] TY-win, hence: ['taɪɹiən] TY- ree-ən (similar to Tyrone but with the stress on the first syllable). But that's me.

31 minutes ago, Blackfyre Bastard said:

Don't sweat it. Some of those in the list are probably still wrong. GRRM has acknowledged (probably tongue in cheek, but still) that he's not authoritative regarding pronunciation because of his Jersey accent and I wouldn't count the show as canon (although it probably has popularized and standardized many of the names). Regarding the audiobooks, GRRM has said that they consulted him on the harder names, but got the easy ones wrong! (e.g. "Damfair")

I for one refuse to accept Tyrion's pronunciation as ['tɪəɹiən] TEER-ee-ən; having the particle "Ty" in his name, I think it should be pronounced as Tywin ['taɪwɪn] TY-win, hence: ['taɪɹiən] TY- ree-ən (similar to Tyrone but with the stress on the first syllable). But that's me.

What about Tybolt, Tyrek and Tygett? I'd pronounce them as TEER rather than TY as well. It is only Tytos that I can think of who is also a TY.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:59 PM, Blackfyre Bastard said:

IIRC, there are tourneys in the North, just that there are no tilts (jousting), since there's few knights (because of religion); however northern tourneys are mostly melee. 

Jousting is not limited to knights only, read here. I believe there are multiple mentions of tourneys where contestants were not anointed knights (The Hand's Tourney, The tourney at Harrenhal). Though tourneys are not common in the North, I can imagine that White Harbor, controlled by the Manderlys, who retain a large number on knights, may have held a couple tourneys where Theon would have attended.

But yes, a tournament can also be held where no jousting occurs.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Euron says only one living kraken has neve known defeat and bent the knee, comparing himself to his brothers, niece, and nephew. So, where was Euron when Robert and Eddard, et al. came calling? 

When did his exile start? I always assumed he wasn't around for RR

5 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

That was during Robert's Rebellion, not the Greyjoy Rebellion. 

It was the Greyjoy Rebellion:

"During my lord father's rebellion, he sailed into Lannisport with my uncle Euron and burned the Lannister fleet where it lay at anchor." Theon II, ACOK.

2 hours ago, Horse of Kent said:

It was the Greyjoy Rebellion:

"During my lord father's rebellion, he sailed into Lannisport with my uncle Euron and burned the Lannister fleet where it lay at anchor." Theon II, ACOK.

Lannisport is in the Westerlands, not the Reach. 

Archived