Small Questions v. 10105

Rhaenys_Targaryen

53 minutes ago, Illyrio Mo'Parties said:

Refresh my memory: as Abel, does Mance (a) look like Rattleshirt, and (b) have that ruby?

I think Mance looks like himself while disguised as Abel, as the description for Abel matches the description for Mance much more closely than it does for Rattleshirt. Able is said to have a brown beard, and long hair gone mostly grey. Jon describes Mance as grey-haired in ASOS, while Rattleshirt is said to have dark hair. He certainly isn't wearing the bones anymore, and the bones were an important part for the spell to work.

Can't find a mention of the ruby, but if his disguise is no longer necessary, the ruby was probably no longer necessary either. He might still carry it with him, in his pockets or something, as a disguise would have been necessary again when he came to the Wall to deliver Arya.

21 hours ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I think Mance looks like himself while disguised as Abel, as the description for Abel matches the description for Mance much more closely than it does for Rattleshirt. Able is said to have a brown beard, and long hair gone mostly grey. Jon describes Mance as grey-haired in ASOS, while Rattleshirt is said to have dark hair. He certainly isn't wearing the bones anymore, and the bones were an important part for the spell to work.

Can't find a mention of the ruby, but if his disguise is no longer necessary, the ruby was probably no longer necessary either. He might still carry it with him, in his pockets or something, as a disguise would have been necessary again when he came to the Wall to deliver Arya.

Cheers

I just remember the way he spoke about the ruby, he made it sound like he *couldn't* take it off

1 minute ago, LordImp said:

Is there any info on when winds of winter is published ? 

Sadly, no. He doesn't give predictions anymore because he's been so wrong in the past. When there finally is a release date it'll be all over this site and the internet in general. 

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Sadly, no. He doesn't give predictions anymore because he's been so wrong in the past. When there finally is a release date it'll be all over this site and the internet in general. 

Damn. Thanks for the answer! 

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

Are there any threads ought there that discuss color and color schemes in ASoIaF?  I did a search and couldn't find anything. 

I discuss the color pattern of cyvasse in my cyvasse essay. And I know that @Lost Melnibonean has written several elaborate posts concerning color use in asoiaf, though I cannot recall the names of the threads at the moment. (Sorry!). There's also @J. Stargaryen's Emerald essay. A quick google search also turns up this essay concerning sapphires and secrets (perhaps not entirely what you are looking for). 

I'm certain there are other posts and essays out there, but these are the ones who come to mind this quickly. 

Hope it helps!

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

I discuss the color pattern of cyvasse in my cyvasse essay. And I know that @Lost Melnibonean has written several elaborate posts concerning color use in asoiaf, though I cannot recall the names of the threads at the moment. (Sorry!). There's also @J. Stargaryen's Emerald essay. A quick google search also turns up this essay concerning sapphires and secrets (perhaps not entirely what you are looking for). 

I'm certain there are other posts and essays out there, but these are the ones who come to mind this quickly. 

Hope it helps!

Thanks!  I was looking for a thread that discussed color schemes in and of themselves.  I thought there was one.  Then again, the use of color as symbolism might be too broad a topic for one thread?  I might start my own.  These will definitely help!

6 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Thanks!  I was looking for a thread that discussed color schemes in and of themselves.  I thought there was one.  Then again, the use of color as symbolism might be too broad a topic for one thread?  I might start my own.  These will definitely help!

I am looking forward to it. 

15 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

I am looking forward to it. 

The color scheme that you've noticed in Daenerys' chapters concerning the color of "dragons" was one I was hoping to bring up.   I'll probably not post it until I can get access to a computer (which is unfortunately not often) as opposed to my cell.  Hopefully, it's soon.  I look forward to what you might add. 

9 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Which cities/towns end in "mark?"  I know of Driftmark, Volmark, and Ashmark.  (There's a list of all characters on the wiki.  Is there not one for cities and towns in ASoIaF?)

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Towns

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Cities

The towns one seems incomplete, neither Driftmark Volmark or Ashmark are on it.

Edit: Actually wait, where did you get Ashmark from? I don't find that on the wiki or in the text. Volmark as far as we know is just a castle, thought it probably has a settlement outside it's walls I dunno what the criteria for a town is. That's probably why it's not on the list. Driftmark also is not a town, it's an island that contains a castle of the same name and two towns called Hull and Spicetown.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Towns

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Category:Cities

The towns one seems incomplete, neither Driftmark Volmark or Ashmark are on it.

Edit: Actually wait, where did you get Ashmark from? I don't find that on the wiki or in the text. Volmark as far as we know is just a castle, thought it probably has a settlement outside it's walls I dunno what the criteria for a town is. That's probably why it's not on the list. Driftmark also is not a town, it's an island that contains a castle of the same name and two towns called Hull and Spicetown.

Driftmark is technically a Holdfast I guess, not a city. 

Ashemark is what I meant.  I misspelled it.  It's the seat if House Marbrand.  

Thanks for the lists! 

Driftmark is name of both the island and original Velaryon seat. 

Corlys Velaryon became a lord after his grandsire's death and used his wealth to raise a new seat, High Tide, to replace the damp, cramped castle Driftmarkand house the ancient Driftwood Throne—the high seat of the Velaryons, which legend claims was given to them by the Merling King to conclude a pact. So much trade came to flow to and from Driftmark that the towns of Hull and Spicetown sprang up, becoming the chief ports of trade in Blackwater Bay for a time, surpassing even King's Landing.

Ashemark is a castle in the Westerlands.

Maester Luwin sent Alebelly away and closed his door. "My lords," he said gravely, "we have had a message from His Grace, with both good news and ill. He has won a great victory in the west, shattering a Lannister army at a place named Oxcross, and has taken several castles as well. He writes us from Ashemark, formerly the stronghold of House Marbrand."

Holdfast is a place where local people find refugee during war or where they can take shelter from weather, outlaws, foraging parties etc. It's much smaller than a castle, sometimes wooden (holdfast of Wendish Town)

Sometimes this term is used when someone is talking about stronghold used to lay claim to certain area - for example Harrenhal, but most often it's that first definition.

I've checked topographic preffixes and suffixes coming from various languages, and from what I've found, -mark stands for either marches, borderlands or woodlands. (for example in DenMARK https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology_of_Denmark

Archived